This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've put up with Microsoft's bull **** before, but this is a new low.

#61CapwnDPosted 3/17/2013 10:57:03 AM
Microsoft and it's fanboys defend this strategy

You're missing the point. But I know how you like to jump right in there and tell us all about how we're being fanboys. Why don't you take a breath and read the topic before looking like a fool?

He's claiming that they don't notify you by email. They do. He's doing it wrong.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#62no1oblivionfanPosted 3/17/2013 11:00:23 AM
Microsoft does in fact inform you that it is a recurring payment on the console. You have to go onto xbox.com to disable the recurring payment. I learned that the hard way myself, only because I kept putting off going to the website.

However I do think they should make it more obvious.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
#63CyhortI82Posted 3/17/2013 11:01:39 AM
Pretty much everything you subscribe for puts you on automatic renewal. Unless this is the first thing you ever subscribed to, I have no sympathy for you. And even if it is, it's as much your fault as it is MS's. Learn and move on with your life, kid.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#64GeneralFrings(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 11:01:39 AM
Lol, I suggest you follow your own advice and read the damn topic. I said that I never received notification, not that they don't try and send it. >_>

ILikesCheese posted...
As others have said, this is old hat in the realm of Xbox Live.

Although Microsoft does indeed notify you of this in that "wall of text", it is a purposefully obscure marketing gimmick to snatch a few extra dollars out of the pocket's of unsuspecting customers.

Microsoft and it's fanboys defend this strategy by saying "You should be wary of what you buy, and read the fine print." Everyone else with a modicum of common sense sees through that BS. Search through this board and the Xbox.com boards for any thread containing the words "automatic renewal" to get the full history.

Your present situation leaves you with only two real alternatives:

1) Cancel the Live service now. Call Customer Service if you have to.

2) Dispute the charges with your credit card company, and have them remove the last two or three months worth of Xbox Live bills. Be forewarned though that doing so will put your Xbox account in purgatory, unable to return to Live until you pay them again. If your account or Live do not matter to you though, then have it.

Finally, a voice of reason.
---
How deep is too deep?
#65ILikesCheesePosted 3/17/2013 11:03:09 AM
CaPwnD posted...
Microsoft and it's fanboys defend this strategy

You're missing the point. But I know how you like to jump right in there and tell us all about how we're being fanboys. Why don't you take a breath and read the topic before looking like a fool?

He's claiming that they don't notify you by email. They do. He's doing it wrong.

Speaking of jumping in there like a fool, the email argument of this thread is just a part of this discussion.

;)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#66CapwnDPosted 3/17/2013 11:05:21 AM
ol, I suggest you follow your own advice and read the damn topic. I said that I never received notification, not that they don't try and send it. >_>

They send notification. You're not looking at the right email address. Go look at your account, at the contact email address. Check your spam folders.

Funny that not only do you not see the transactions from your bank/credit card but you also somehow missed the email. But yeah, I'm sure it's somebody elses fault.
---
#67EvilCactusPosted 3/17/2013 11:07:12 AM
Don't blame Microsoft for your illiteracy.
---
sig here
#68ILikesCheesePosted 3/17/2013 11:08:34 AM
shawnmck posted...
This is not uncommon, so don't get your panties in a bunch...
All Companies do the exact same thing if you use your credit-card to purchase something that has a monthly plan, service, or product.
Buy some of the vitamins or other crap you see on tv with your credit card, and you will find that they charge you every month and send you a product or service ever month AUTOMATICALLY.

CyhortI82 posted...
Pretty much everything you subscribe for puts you on automatic renewal.

The amount of mis-information or outright lying and falsehoods on Gamefaqs is enough to rival that of the FOX News network sometimes.

This billing stratagem (of the automatic renewal) is very much NOT a common practice among reputable businesses. Case in point: all those fly-by-night order by mail ads Shawn is watching on TV at 2 in the morning may try and pull this stuff, but look at who you are dealing with.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#69CapwnDPosted 3/17/2013 11:08:52 AM
Speaking of jumping in there like a fool, the email argument of this thread is just a part of this discussion.

It seemed to be what he was most upset about. His words:

Well it's the principle, I'm more mad about the way they go about it all. See, whether folks want to believe me or not I never saw anything about it from MS. While $30 isn't all that much and I have now fixed it, I'm more concerned that the company probably is fully aware that they're taking money from many people who aren't aware of the automatic resubscription service. It just sits uneasy with me that I support a company that would be ok with this.

---
#70CapwnDPosted 3/17/2013 11:10:04 AM
enough to rival that of the FOX News network

Oh god you're one of those. When it rains it pours.
---