This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

xbox live is dedicated servers except pvp and co op.

#1Rome218Posted 3/18/2013 9:45:41 AM
A user here named Bluestig keeps saying this. I believe most games on Xbox live are p2p.

Bluestig constantly says that the 360 does not have enough processing power or ram to handle something like call of duty. He insists very aggressively that we are on dedicated servers unless Its 1 on 1 or Co op.

Can someone with real tech knowledge explain how this works to both of us? Clearly I disagree with Bluestig, but I know my limitations as a tech guy. I would appreciate if people can inform myself and bluesig how Xbox live works as far as match making.

He keeps comparing the 360 to steam because a lot of.steam games have a list of dedicated servers. In my mind, he is an idiot. Is he right?

I know battlefield and a few others have dedicated servers. Why would the ram and processing power of the 360 prevent peer to peer on something like rdr online? Or cryzis 2? Or call of duty?
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#2L0ZPosted 3/18/2013 9:49:59 AM
It's almost entirely dependent on the upload speed of host and download speed of leeches for lack of a better term. 360s hardware is not the bottleneck the Internet speeds are
---
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
#3seankimberley42Posted 3/18/2013 9:51:44 AM
You need to learn how to ignore certain users. He isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the package and never has any real proof to back up any of his claims. Just shut this topic down there's no need for it.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#4Rome218(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 9:52:54 AM
L0Z posted...
It's almost entirely dependent on the upload speed of host and download speed of leeches for lack of a better term. 360s hardware is not the bottleneck the Internet speeds are

Of the host. So you are saying p2p I take it?
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#5L0ZPosted 3/18/2013 9:54:57 AM
No I'm talking about games like halo where when the host disconnects (the host being another player with the highest upload speed in the match) then the game goes to a black screen to find a new host (next best upload speed player)
---
#6Rome218(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 9:55:13 AM
seankimberley42 posted...
You need to learn how to ignore certain users. He isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the package and never has any real proof to back up any of his claims. Just shut this topic down there's no need for it.

I want to make sure I haven't went crazy. I wanted to see if anyone would say he is correct and explain. As I've said, I'm not a big tech guy.
---
#7axelfooley2k5Posted 3/18/2013 9:57:47 AM
most multiplayer on live is p2p
---
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, mannn
#8L0ZPosted 3/18/2013 9:59:06 AM
Oh yore using p2p as peer to peer not pay to play
---
#9ILikesCheesePosted 3/18/2013 10:04:45 AM(edited)
Most games on Xbox Live are indeed P2P instead of on dedicated servers. Exceptions to this of course are anything from EA and I believe Ubisoft.

This is also the reason why people can use gamesaves to cheat in games like Dark Souls and why lag is such a big problem in racing games like Blur. But at least you never have to worry about the servers shutting down until the switch is turned on the Xbox 360 itself.

Also, never listen to anything that BlueStig guy says. :D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#10Rome218(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 10:14:10 AM
Thanks guys. I am not going to close this thread in case Bluestig wants to justify himself, nor will i be bumping it after this post. It would not be fair to call him out and not let him speak on his behalf.
---