This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it a horrible thing that Call of Duty and Crysis campaigns are 6 hours?

#21SplatterHouse55Posted 3/19/2013 11:27:51 PM
6-10 hour campaigns are right up my alley since I don't get a ton of free time to game these days. Back in the day, I could spend hundreds of hours online (in addition to the SP campaign), so it was certainly worth it, but now I just want to finish the game and start another one - I'm grinding away on a pretty meaty backlog.

In all honestly, it's the 20+ hour games that intimidate me nowadays, as I hate playing them in 1 or 2 hour bursts without really knowing when I'm going to be able to continue playing them.

To me, the Batman Arkham games were a perfect length for what free time I do have. In contrast, I've been slowly grinding thru Persona 4 Golden for a couple of months - I love the game, but it's a long game. It makes me think twice about starting a game like Skyrim or Xenoblade, which are supposedly MUCH longer games. I just don't have the free time to enjoy them as I would have 10 years ago.

On a side note, I bought The Terminator BITD for the Sega Genesis for $40. Once you beat it the first time, it literally takes 10 minutes to beat it a 2nd time. No online. No multi-player. No extras. That was it for $40 back in 1993.
---
Ever since I started working, every day has be worse than the last, so everytime you see me it's the worst day of my life. - Office Space
#22Chosen_one_41Posted 3/19/2013 11:45:12 PM
Is it horrible? No. You know what's horrible? Uhh... rape I guess, murder also. You know, those kind of things.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
Rarity is best pony
#23all_that_juicePosted 3/19/2013 11:45:35 PM
People see "6 hour campaign" and automatically panic these days. Talk about knee-jerk reactions. It's not like these games are only 6 hours. You have to put these things in perspective. I can get more play time out of a game with a 6 hour campaign and a good mulltiplayer component than I can get out of a single player only game with a 30 hour campaign.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BNUcXc9aBI
#24SierraReiPosted 3/20/2013 12:11:39 AM
No.
Campaigns like CoD are very, very direct sort of set-piece-to-set-piece things. They don't take long, but there's not much filler. They're quick joyrides, and that's alright.
CoD still has a ton of longevity - if you're into the multiplayer.

I think the problem is when a game's multiplayer doesn't really have the legs to stay fresh for a reasonable length of time, but the devs dump money into it anyway instead of honing the single player.

You could beat Bayonetta in 6 hours. It's still an amazing game.
#25ChipChippersonPosted 3/20/2013 12:27:17 AM
Jamanjax posted...
It wouldn't be if they had any degree of replayability, no.

Whether it be dynamic enemy encounters, branching pathways, a combat system that encouraged experimentation and the like..

But as linear shooters in which nearly every battle plays out in the same manner in each playthrough, yes.

Pretty much this.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#26all_that_juicePosted 3/20/2013 12:43:50 AM
ChipChipperson posted...
Jamanjax posted...
It wouldn't be if they had any degree of replayability, no.

Whether it be dynamic enemy encounters, branching pathways, a combat system that encouraged experimentation and the like..

But as linear shooters in which nearly every battle plays out in the same manner in each playthrough, yes.

Pretty much this.

Yeah because multiplayer matches play out in exactly the same manner every time....
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BNUcXc9aBI
#27TreewallerPosted 3/20/2013 12:53:51 AM
The branching paths and challenges in Blops 2 added a ton of replayability for me. I've been fine with the short campaigns up to this point, but if the next COD doesn't have branching paths I'll be far less impressed.
---
"Hey Sockbaby! You wanna food up with us or what?!"
Game o' the Moment: Hannah Montana - The Movie Game
#28Banana_ManaPosted 3/20/2013 1:09:49 AM
deimos91 posted...
PMCkubrick posted...
wasn't mario bros like 30 mins long?

1:28 minutes without dying through every level no warp pipes

Yes, but it would take a very very very long time to learn how to do that...

So really it isn't 1:28 minutes, but about 600 hours.

Anyway, on topic... I usually get bored of CoD SP after 20 minutes, so no.
(Haven't even bothered to get past the second(ish) level in Blops2...)
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#29Star99gersPosted 3/20/2013 1:11:24 AM
Length = Quality now.
#30Darkcloud20Posted 3/20/2013 5:34:06 AM
From: all_that_juice | Posted: 3/20/2013 7:45:35 AM | #023
People see "6 hour campaign" and automatically panic these days. Talk about knee-jerk reactions. It's not like these games are only 6 hours. You have to put these things in perspective. I can get more play time out of a game with a 6 hour campaign and a good mulltiplayer component than I can get out of a single player only game with a 30 hour campaign.

Thats cool for you. If I add the time of mutliplayer I will probably spend with the game it is now 7 hours instead of 6 because that one extra hour is about the most multilayer usually entertains me before I get bored with it. And 6 hours is ok if the game costs bellow $20 and that's already stretching it.
---
What can change the nature of a man?