This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To those who have played and beaten tomb raider, is it worth $60?

#31staticxtreme5Posted 3/20/2013 6:48:08 AM
SS_MetalSonic posted...
ive got 25 hours into it at 63% complete. been trying to collect all hidden items right now but about to push forward soon to finish the game. then i will pick up any collectibles i missed. there are about 6 things i cant seem to find at this moment so i will wait until after i finish the story . i will look for those 6 things later.

after i 100% i will more than likely start a new game. finish it , and then start a new one after that. i can see myself playing this at least 4 or more times. i did with crysis, gears of war, ninja gaiden and this is one of those games for me. i just want to keep playing and playing.

I love this game, and I definitely feel its worth full price, but if you have 25 hours in this game and your only at 63% and haven't beat the game yet then you suck and should quit playing videogames.
#32hump3rdnkPosted 3/20/2013 6:58:22 AM
I actually played through twice already and will probably play through again but I'm kind of weird with re playing games, I'll be the first to admit a game has 0 replay value as far as there won't be anything new to experience, even though I know that and I know that replaying certain games will give me exactly the same experience I still play it again.

That's what I never understood about games, if people like movies they watch them pretty often sometimes but at least a few times but games only get 1 play through and that's it but I play through games just to see it one more time.

With all that said, tomb raider doesn't have any replay value, you might find a few more collectibles or do a few more optional tombs but there really won't be anything different from the first time you played it to the tenth time it will always be the same. It is still an awesome game, and it was worth my 60 bucks just cause I knew I would play it a few times over but if I knew I would play it once and never touch it again I would wait for a sale.

So if you're like me and can play the same games over and over buy it but if you are the type to only play once or twice you should probably wait for a sale and since it's a square Enix game it MIGHT be on sale sooner than you think but that's not certain.
#33Perfect LightPosted 3/20/2013 7:15:59 AM
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
Perfect Light posted...
It's one the best single-player experiences I've ever had.

Would you enjoy playing through it again?

Yep. In fact, I started to do so but then a buddy bought me a new game, so I started playing that. If not for that, though, I would have kept playing my second Tomb Raider file.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#34ballermat982Posted 3/20/2013 7:41:23 AM
I'm probably halfway thru, but I would say it is worth $60. Overall it's been pretty fun. QTE's are annoying as hell though. Cutscenes can be long and boring, but the exploring and fighting enemies are really fun and justify the price.
#35Perfect LightPosted 3/20/2013 8:46:03 AM
ballermat982 posted...
I'm probably halfway thru, but I would say it is worth $60. Overall it's been pretty fun. QTE's are annoying as hell though. Cutscenes can be long and boring, but the exploring and fighting enemies are really fun and justify the price.

I encountered only a few QTEs during the entire game, and they made sense in context.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#36ballermat982Posted 3/20/2013 9:07:40 AM
I'm talking about all the times when you're forced to press certain buttons and all the forced walking. I often thought I was in a cutscene and then suddenly I had to start mashing the control stick. They crammed way too much of that into this game.
#37MrMikeMaPosted 3/20/2013 9:18:40 AM
Or is it like uncharted in that once you beat it, there's no real reason to go back and play it again?

Yes. This is my major problem with a LOT of today's game. They focus on story and cinematic experience, and this is great - but once you beat it, unless you are the kind of guy that likes to revisit a book or a movie down the line, there is no reason to play it again.

No new game +, no new difficulty levels. Just start over. Of course, they dump you back on the island after the game so you can go find the rest of the secrets, but for the most part there are no longer any enemies to fight, and the ones that do appear seem glitched to heck. I've had guy appear and disappear right on front of me, spawn at the exact same spot twice. They only seem to re-appear in two specific locations on the map. And when it is said and done, the gameplay works well enough in the context of the game you play, but it's not so good you will yearn to play it again, and not ENOUGH to do with it to have fun with the enemies while you play.

This game also did not need multiplayer - yet it is included. I get to around level 16 when I just had enough. It's not THAT fun to run around and play.

I bought this only cause I won some money, and sold it already to get about half the money back. It's stilla great game on it's own merits though, so yeah play it at some point.

And in MY opinion, once you step back and look at the story, you really notice how bad it is, in a Michael Bay sort of way. The game is really like a summer popcorn movie as opposed to a really good, well written movie. It's VERY cheesy and follows most of the action movie cliches.
#38SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/20/2013 9:25:21 AM
Took me about 18 housr to 100% the game the first time. Immediatly restarted a replay, got about 75% through and I was ready to take a break. Multi is not worth it all.
#39pothocketPosted 3/20/2013 9:38:47 AM
Beat it on normal, replayed and beat it on hard. I'm ready for a third playthrough on normal and achievement hunt this time. It's very rare for me to achievement hunt in a game.

I tell you how I'm going to play, game! Not the other way around! But in cases like this, where a game earns my respect, I will take the time to earn ones I wouldn't have gotten normally.

MP is complete garbage.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#40SS_MetalSonicPosted 3/20/2013 8:29:03 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
SS_MetalSonic posted...
ive got 25 hours into it at 63% complete. been trying to collect all hidden items right now but about to push forward soon to finish the game. then i will pick up any collectibles i missed. there are about 6 things i cant seem to find at this moment so i will wait until after i finish the story . i will look for those 6 things later.

after i 100% i will more than likely start a new game. finish it , and then start a new one after that. i can see myself playing this at least 4 or more times. i did with crysis, gears of war, ninja gaiden and this is one of those games for me. i just want to keep playing and playing.

I love this game, and I definitely feel its worth full price, but if you have 25 hours in this game and your only at 63% and haven't beat the game yet then you suck and should quit playing videogames.

Im not in competition with the game i am enjoying it . I never said i was stuck anywhere or struggling to get through it. I dont suck at gaming. I have been in streetfighter tournaments and done well... I am a good gamer. I just like to take my time with games i really like.

Now when i replay the game, i will plow through it .
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Sleeping Dogs, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Tomb Raider