This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What game IS worth $60 these days?

#11mcdonaldfries03Posted 3/19/2013 10:02:18 PM
^Think outside the realm of video games/electronics. For instance, I play golf, which is a form of entertainment. I can easily play a round at nice place for 70-100 bucks for a four hour round. Makes that 60 bucks for a 15 hour game seem not so bad.

And even still, a movie is what, hour and a half? Two hours? Even if a game is 8 hours long, they come out about even.
---
GT: Shuttytown
#12Bud2003Posted 3/19/2013 10:05:46 PM
mcdonaldfries03 posted...
^Think outside the realm of video games/electronics. For instance, I play golf, which is a form of entertainment. I can easily play a round at nice place for 70-100 bucks for a four hour round. Makes that 60 bucks for a 15 hour game seem not so bad.

And even still, a movie is what, hour and a half? Two hours? Even if a game is 8 hours long, they come out about even.

Good point...

I really should have looked at his signature before even responding
#13dankmanaPosted 3/19/2013 11:48:08 PM
I don't recall paying full price for any video game this entire "gen", not counting downloadable titles and indie games that launch at the respectable range of $20 and below. $60 is a lot of damn money when new stuff is always coming out!
#14Robot_SoopaPosted 3/20/2013 12:05:43 AM
tadashii18 posted...
What? How is $60 cheap compared to how games were once $40 and $50? And other forms of entertainment? Movies where I live are $11 for regular ad $13 for 3D, DVD's are like what, $30? YouTube is free, most fun mobile apps are under $10. The list goes on and on. There's probably a ton of things entertaining that cost less than $60.

Adjusting for inflation we're actually paying LESS now and NES and SNES games fluctuated between $40 and $60. Chrono Trigger is infamous for costing I think $80 at release.

Consider we get higher quality and in most cases longer games than back then I don't see how $60 ISN'T cheap.
#15symachPosted 3/20/2013 12:08:46 AM
Tomb Raider, easily one of the best campaigns Ive ever played.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#16Res5Posted 3/20/2013 12:20:16 AM
Technically speaking the price of a game does not alter the game so whether you pay 5, 10 or 50 you're still playing the same exact game.

Now take subjectivity into the picture and people have a tendency to gauge with (time x payment) ^ enjoyment = worth. The amount of time you spend on a game, whether that means replaying the game several times or just once for a long period of time, can change the way you perceive enjoyment. Sometimes a game being too long can be a negative for some people so especially grindy games where it's more difficult to see the end (especially games that don't necessarily have an explicit "end") don't seem as worth it because if certain people wanted to finish it they'd have to stop playing everything or deal with playing this one game for a few years which could get tiresome.

You also have to take into consideration the rate at which people trade in games and the reasons behind it.

I, personally, am in the camp that doesn't care what the price of a game is. As long as I get to play it, not even necessarily beat it, that's enough for me. Keep in mind this has nothing to do whether I can or can't beat it, it's all a matter of following my whims so even if I'm in the middle of a good RPG if my mind tells me to go play another super long RPG I'm gonna do just that.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#17Bud2003Posted 3/20/2013 4:04:33 AM
Robot_Soopa posted...
tadashii18 posted...
What? How is $60 cheap compared to how games were once $40 and $50? And other forms of entertainment? Movies where I live are $11 for regular ad $13 for 3D, DVD's are like what, $30? YouTube is free, most fun mobile apps are under $10. The list goes on and on. There's probably a ton of things entertaining that cost less than $60.

Adjusting for inflation we're actually paying LESS now and NES and SNES games fluctuated between $40 and $60. Chrono Trigger is infamous for costing I think $80 at release.

Consider we get higher quality and in most cases longer games than back then I don't see how $60 ISN'T cheap.

Add Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct for the SNES for costing more than $60 at release.
#18CyricsServantPosted 3/20/2013 4:24:28 AM
Highly Evolved posted...
Short of absolutely massive RPGs like Skyrim with 100+ hour campaigns or FPS where you're gonna spend entire months playing online.. I can't honestly think of a game with, as good a game as it is, is worth $60 right now as opposed to $40 in 2 weeks.

Fixed that for you.

And in response, very few. For me usually about one game a year. My last two were Dark Souls and Arkham City in 2011.
#19dcn2424Posted 3/20/2013 4:42:48 AM
None. I haven't seen a game worth $60 yet.
#20CaseyJonezPosted 3/20/2013 5:02:26 AM
I rarely pay more than $40 for a game, but that's because I know I can and will get them for that price withing a short time -bar Skyrim (#scumbagbethesda). That being said, games are cheap as f*** when compared to many other forms of entertainment.
---
Signature pending mod approval.