This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What if, to justify Live cost...

#1cjd92Posted 3/20/2013 6:52:16 AM
What if in the new Xbox they included the option of an onboard broadband card, and your Live fee went to pay the data usage? I think it would come in handy and be a fair deal, if they could do it without installing data caps and provided a sufficient bit rate. I've used some of those newfangled hotspots available through cell phone companies that can easily pull a few MB/s or so.

Also, I've decided the fundamental problem with the service charging what it does is that people are not seeing the justification for paying $60. See, like the government and taxes, Microsoft provides a host of services and apps with our money that the majority of folks probably don't even use, so they get angry with being charged for it.

They should move to a structured package program, like they use for television plans, where you can choose if you want Internet browsing, Hulu, espn everything, etc....
---
indeed.
#2Banana_ManaPosted 3/20/2013 6:53:00 AM
But then what would I do with my bananas?
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#3Darkcloud20Posted 3/20/2013 7:03:47 AM
I already have an internet connection why should I pay for another one?
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#4Frisco557Posted 3/20/2013 7:04:53 AM
Darkcloud20 posted...
I already have an internet connection why should I pay for another one?

This.
---
Proud owner of an '88 Peugeot.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/frisco557/103_0809.jpg
#5cjd92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 7:11:35 AM
Well if you have a smart phone, I suspect you already are paying for two connections. But regardless, I figured it would be on Microsoft to incentivize switching to the Xbox-based service. I've been in plenty of situations where a built-in connection would've come in handy.
---
indeed.
#6Perfect LightPosted 3/20/2013 7:14:03 AM
Man, it's so nice to be a SP gamer, I don't have to pay to play games I already paid for.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#7ponderingcowPosted 3/20/2013 7:16:27 AM
they could just make it free
#8Darkcloud20Posted 3/20/2013 7:18:10 AM
Well if you have a smart phone, I suspect you already are paying for two connections.

One offers internet (almost) everywhere at relatively slow speed with an extremely low bandwith cap before the speed gets throttled even more (it also costs nothing because it is ad financed but I only get one or 2 sms per month). The other offers fast internet with no bandwidth cap but only at home.

The one you suggests ads absolutely nothing that I already have.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#9ponderingcowPosted 3/20/2013 7:23:35 AM
Lets get the Xbox Kinection and make it the only way to play online on your NeXtBoX it only costs 99 a year for unlimited downloads and you get a massive 1mb download speed
#10cjd92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 7:27:04 AM
That's a fair point, and in the past that's how it's been. But the relativity new mobile hotspot technology I mentioned is a pretty good hybrid of the two, and it is constantly getting faster. I know the latest estimate and practical 4G lte speed is supposed to be around 5-10 Mb/s. That's more than enough for most applications, short of streaming an HD movie. Granted, we still need a few years to set up a decent infrustructure for 4G.
---
indeed.