This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Bioware have to f*** up ME3's ending....

#41GradyHooverPosted 3/21/2013 8:42:07 AM
1) They didn't **** it up.
2) It's one of the best, most emotionally satisfying endings in games.
3) Those who complain otherwise are so focused on marketing promises that they failed to realize that, by any other measure, it was an utterly awesome conclusion.
4) ...and boy, am I getting tired of those people.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#42Dragon NexusPosted 3/21/2013 8:52:48 AM
3) Those who complain otherwise are so focused on marketing promises that they failed to realize that, by any other measure, it was an utterly awesome conclusion.

Oh yeah, a deus ex machina that does a plot dump in the last 10 minutes that contradicts itself and everything we'd learned up until that point, followed by a brainless A, B or C ending choice that answered nothing and only raised more questions followed by a near identicle cinematic regardless of your choice that contradicted character motivations and ended on a lot of nothing was totally the most awesome ending ever.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#43GeistPosted 3/21/2013 8:56:54 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Oh yeah, a deus ex machina that does a plot dump in the last 10 minutes that contradicts itself and everything we'd learned up until that point, followed by a brainless A, B or C ending choice that answered nothing and only raised more questions followed by a near identicle cinematic regardless of your choice that contradicted character motivations and ended on a lot of nothing was totally the most awesome ending ever.

Yea you never played. The ending fits the whole game and is easily understood by the actual players. All three are class specific and fit warrior, adept, and technician like a glove.
---
Nintendo is to gaming what Nerf is to sports.
#44GradyHooverPosted 3/21/2013 9:03:55 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

1) Not a deus ex machina; it's set up throughout the entire game.

2) It never contradicted itself.

3) You didn't bother to play the Extended Cut I guess?
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#45GawdDawgsPosted 3/21/2013 9:12:42 AM
Did Bioware ever explain why they ended it that way? I read about the cocktail napkin with "speculation for everyone" stuff, but after all the negative backlash, did they every explain themselves, or why they openly lied to the public when saying "there's not going to be an A,B,C ending 'Reaper Off switch'?"

That's what angers me the most. I absolutely loved the series, but why did they end the series exactly the way they said they would NOT do??
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.
#46GradyHooverPosted 3/21/2013 9:17:14 AM
GawdDawgs posted...

That's what angers me the most. I absolutely loved the series, but why did they end the series exactly the way they said they would NOT do??

Well, somewhere along the line, we know they changed their intention for the third game. It went from being about the threat of harnessed dark energy on a massive scale killing stars and generating black hole, to being about a more intense look at the synthetic/organic race battle and dichotomy. It's not clear how that shift in focus altered the original intent.

As for why the game ended with similar A/B/C endings, the answer is pretty obvious - they wanted to leave it open for future sequels, so that they don't have to somehow align the fourth game with all the previous games or say "Okay, THIS ending is canon." They pretty much confirmed that as soon as they admitted they were working on a next-gen sequel...
---
#47GawdDawgsPosted 3/21/2013 9:27:04 AM
GradyHoover posted...
GawdDawgs posted...

Well, somewhere along the line, we know they changed their intention for the third game. It went from being about the threat of harnessed dark energy on a massive scale killing stars and generating black hole, to being about a more intense look at the synthetic/organic race battle and dichotomy. It's not clear how that shift in focus altered the original intent.

As for why the game ended with similar A/B/C endings, the answer is pretty obvious - they wanted to leave it open for future sequels, so that they don't have to somehow align the fourth game with all the previous games or say "Okay, THIS ending is canon." They pretty much confirmed that as soon as they admitted they were working on a next-gen sequel...

But why lie to the public and not offer any explanation? "Don't worry, folks. We would NEVER do a 'Reaper off-switch ABC ending! That would be absurd." I believe it was the same guy who said this that ultimately wrote the original ending: Casey Hudson (but I might be wrong about that).

Was it a PR move? The backlash probably wouldn't have been even remotely as bad if they didn't do this.
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.
#48656stoogePosted 3/21/2013 9:57:26 AM(edited)
The reason for lies was clearly EA. I'm sure it was never Bioware's original intention to end the game in such a way, but you can bet EA made them change the ending to accommodate DLC and future sequels.

This happens time and time again in the movie industry and I'm sure isn't any different in the gaming industry. (Obviously referring to sequels and not DLC)
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#49Robin_MaskPosted 3/21/2013 10:21:27 AM
I thought it was cause of all the hype about how EVERY choice was important, such as the Rachni Queen, which ended up being one of the most useless choices.
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#50Dragon NexusPosted 3/21/2013 11:30:26 AM
1) Not a deus ex machina; it's set up throughout the entire game.

Three terminals designed by a star child that will change the function of the Reapers was set up through the game? Must have been damn subtle, because I missed that.

2) It never contradicted itself.

Yo dawg, I heard sentient machines are gonna wipe everyone out. So we sentient machines are gonna wipe you out and turn you into sentient machines to prevent the sentient machines from wiping you out. Circular logic, dude.

3) You didn't bother to play the Extended Cut I guess?

This I will own up to. I was just that disappointed with both the beginning needing to be patched for the import feature to work (and thus waiting a month before even playing the damn thing) and the god-awful ending that I just gave up playing it.
I might give it another run through once I've bought all the DLC when it goes on DotW or whatever, but nothing's really made me want to pay it again.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln