This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Bioware have to f*** up ME3's ending....

#51DarkPhoenix424Posted 3/21/2013 11:51:40 AM
It was already a generic series after ME2... ME3 was just the nail in the coffin.
---
The Wing Commander series is my favorite of all time...
360/PSN: ParadiseRegaind
#52GradyHooverPosted 3/21/2013 1:10:22 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Three terminals designed by a star child that will change the function of the Reapers was set up through the game? Must have been damn subtle, because I missed that.

The game sets up from the get-go that this giant "Crucible" device is believed to be a weapon that will "stop" the Reapers. And while the latter part is true, it's thankfully not just a gigantic cannon as the game initially has you believe. Instead it's this device

The Catalyst is of course referenced as the missing ingredient for the Crucible all throughout the game, but as you progress, it becomes increasingly clear that it's not just a "what" but somehow also something sentient, maybe even living. So it turns out an A.I. that created the Reapers is necessary to get the "stop the Reapers" device up and running. (Catalyst = "Star Child" if you don't remember.)

I liked that the game ended with a conversation and a major decision instead of a real "boss fight." That's a good choice, I think. And I liked that none of the three choices presented was really ideal - They all had major problems inherent to them, leaving Shepard with no easy "win" button.

Yo dawg, I heard sentient machines are gonna wipe everyone out. So we sentient machines are gonna wipe you out and turn you into sentient machines to prevent the sentient machines from wiping you out. Circular logic, dude.

I thought that meme was kind of hilarious, but I understand the "loophole" logic the Catalyst is arguing for: "I control the Reapers, which are therefore not truly sentient. I build the Reapers out of a combination of the genetic material I harvest from your bodies and your own technology. I even build Reapers in the image of races I harvest. Ergo, in a sense, you are living on through an amassed form of genetic material, and you are not truly destroyed by A.I.s, because the reapers are not technically sentient, and therefore cannot ever get out of hand." Of course, the loophole in his own logic is: Dude, YOU'RE an A.I.... which decided to create the Reapers because of the exact same faulty logic that he's accusing OTHER races of having... but you see that kinda crap all the time in sci-fi, with the evil leader being fallible in the same way he accuses others of being or something.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#53CyricsServantPosted 3/21/2013 3:06:01 PM
GradyHoover posted...
1) They didn't **** it up.
2) It's one of the best, most emotionally satisfying endings in games.
3) Those who complain otherwise are so focused on marketing promises that they failed to realize that, by any other measure, it was an utterly awesome conclusion.
4) ...and boy, am I getting tired of those people.

I think you clicked on the wrong topic. The game being discussed is Mass Effect 3, not Braid, Red Dead Redemption, The Walking Dead, or what have you.
#54mtjormitchPosted 3/21/2013 5:24:56 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Oakland510_ posted...
This series could've been up there with MGS series, Final Fantasy series, GTA series, the old Blizzard games, etc. in terms of legendary series status

And it will be.

It is only going to be famous for very bad reasons, it is so bad that it has become infamous. That is horrible in all possible ways.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#55mtjormitchPosted 3/21/2013 5:32:06 PM
GradyHoover posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
1) They didn't **** it up.
2) It's one of the best, most emotionally satisfying endings in games.
3) Those who complain otherwise are so focused on marketing promises that they failed to realize that, by any other measure, it was an utterly awesome conclusion.
4) ...and boy, am I getting tired of those people.

Oh yeah, a deus ex machina that does a plot dump in the last 10 minutes that contradicts itself and everything we'd learned up until that point, followed by a brainless A, B or C ending choice that answered nothing and only raised more questions followed by a near identicle cinematic regardless of your choice that contradicted character motivations and ended on a lot of nothing was totally the most awesome ending ever.

1) Not a deus ex machina; it's set up throughout the entire game.

2) It never contradicted itself.

3) You didn't bother to play the Extended Cut I guess?

No, it is a dues ex machina. It literally is the definition of one.

Anything the kid said WAS a contradiction to everything throughout the games. There is so much wrong with the logic that I felt sickened by it.

The Extended cut is basically extending a dog turd of the original ending. That is it.

There is literally no defending the game unless you are one of the few employees at Bioware who are trying desperately to keep their jobs. That is the only reason to defend such a crap ending. I honestly do consider it one of the worst ending in fiction. I am sorry, but when you get 20K videos on how crap the game is and how so many people were and still are disapointed by it. I am sorry, but there is a reason it is hated. Damn good reasons too.

Or, you don't understand why it is bad because you didn't pay attention to any story ever. So yeah... anyone that defends the ending is completely dumb when it comes to how a story works and how it SHOULD work!
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#56bladegash666Posted 3/21/2013 5:41:39 PM
GradyHoover , please tell me you are trolling.
---
"People said, "if you don't like DmC, don't buy it or play it." Why feel blame when you did as you were asked?" - NostalgiaRules
#57WinternovaPosted 3/21/2013 5:46:24 PM
mtjormitch posted...
No, it is a dues ex machina. It literally is the definition of one.

I looked for the definition of a "dues ex machina" and didn't find anything. Are you sure you spelled that right?

mtjormitch posted...
Anything the kid said WAS a contradiction to everything throughout the games.

Considering everything we thought about the Protheans was wrong and we found that out in Mass Effect 3, the fact that it contradicts what the player THINKS they know isn't a deal-breaker.

mtjormitch posted...
There is so much wrong with the logic that I felt sickened by it.

You don't really have much logic to back you up...just butthurt rage.

mtjormitch posted...
There is literally no defending the game unless you are one of the few employees at Bioware who are trying desperately to keep their jobs.

Actually, there is, and you're engaging in a logical fallacy (false dilemma). Sure, the story could've been handled better, but after finishing the game 3 times, I have to say I like the ending even if I thought it could've been done a bit better.

mtjormitch posted...
Or, you don't understand why it is bad because you didn't pay attention to any story ever. So yeah... anyone that defends the ending is completely dumb when it comes to how a story works and how it SHOULD work!

For someone who continually espouses "story > gameplay", you sure have a dearth of knowledge about drama. We should listen to you and your depth of expertise on a subject you've shown you lack a scintilla of knowledge about? Yeah, I'll get right on that...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#58mtjormitchPosted 3/21/2013 6:00:39 PM
To Winternova.

When I can call a random number on the phone and ask for a ending of a sci fi trilogy that is coming out... I would get better story ideas from that then the entire ME3 ending. I am sadly not joking. If you mess up so much that doing that would make better endings, then you have failed as a writer in all possible ways.

Anyone, and I do mean, anyone could write a better ending to a series than that. Anyone, even a dog would be a better writer.

Worse, I honestly think that the writers of The Walking Dead TV show are better than ME3 writers... and I hate that show with how crap it is.

This game series is going to be taught in college and academics years from now on what NOT to do when making a video game and when making a story. Chrono Trigger is more well written and has more endings and it is 20 damn years old!
---
#59WinternovaPosted 3/21/2013 6:26:40 PM
mtjormitch posted...
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again.

Do you go up to painters and criticize their choice of color or brush stroke or perspective?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#60RyanJMcDPosted 3/21/2013 6:35:01 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
That's what selling yourself to EA does to your series.

EA, where great companies go to die a miserable death after being beaten, sodomized, and robbed of everything they once held dear.

R.I.P. Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood and Pandemic
---
Jesus Christ! what the ****'s blown up now?
-Me after 6 months in Iraq