This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Bioware have to f*** up ME3's ending....

#61squidney2k1Posted 3/21/2013 5:37:12 PM
Oh geez, get over it. Seriously.
---
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.
#62King_MadnessPosted 3/21/2013 5:45:15 PM
The Mass Effect 3 ending gave me a feeling I had never felt in my entire life that I cannot articulate.

What I can say is this:

The Mass Effect series was an extremely detailed and immerse series. They detailed everything to a tee, from the backgrounds of all the civilizations, to the worlds, to the conflicts between races. The first time I saw the codex I was shellshocked by the magnitude of information they put into the universe they created.

Then to get the ending we got, which was not detailed in anyway shape or form.....it felt like an ending to a different game.
---
MGiant-AYankees-VKnicksS
#63BlueJester007Posted 3/21/2013 6:10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiN8gL40d84&list=PLEE7764FAB908A8FB
---
Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em.
Zoe: Shoot 'em? Mal: Politely.
#64Oakland510_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 10:31:49 PM
People who didn't find ME3's ending that bad or people who even liked it obviously played ME3 first and fell in love with it before playing the other games in the series. That or they never played the first two games. It is not possible for a human being to feel that way, thinking the ending wasn't that bad or that they even liked the ending.
#65GradyHooverPosted 3/22/2013 5:26:07 AM
Oakland510_ posted...
People who didn't find ME3's ending that bad or people who even liked it obviously played ME3 first and fell in love with it before playing the other games in the series. That or they never played the first two games. It is not possible for a human being to feel that way, thinking the ending wasn't that bad or that they even liked the ending.

Nope. Sorry. I played the other games first, got to the ending in ME3 and LOVED it... I'd put it up there with Actraiser as my favorite ending to a game...
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#66CyricsServantPosted 3/22/2013 6:06:54 AM(edited)
GradyHoover posted...
I liked that the game ended with a conversation and a major decision instead of a real "boss fight." That's a good choice, I think. And I liked that none of the three choices presented was really ideal - They all had major problems inherent to them, leaving Shepard with no easy "win" button.

I'm not opposed to having a conversation and a "major decision" instead off a traditional boss fight. I didn't feel like you were making a major decision pre-ending cut though. The choices weren't fleshed out enough and their consequences weren't entirely clear. Destroy is straight forward enough, but what does it mean to control? To synthesize? etc.

Shepard's defeatist attitude was also annoying. Take five minutes to find out why the Reapers have been destroying organic life for hundreds of thousands of years. At least ask questions about the three terminals before you fundamentally alter the universe and all life in it! I mean, I understand you're bleeding out, but that doesn't mean you should just automatically agree with the leader of the ****ing Reapers, and choose one its three ambiguously defined solutions without asking questions.

I didn't feel like you were making an informed decision at all, just choosing a color. Again, this is pre-EC.

you see that kinda crap all the time in sci-fi, with the evil leader being fallible in the same way he accuses others of being or something.

You do see "that kinda crap" all the time in your average sci-fi tale . . . but I was hoping Mass Effect would have aimed a little higher. It was a very disappointing reveal, and I'm honestly surprised that's the best they could come up with after half a decade. Not only was the Catalyst's logic circular, but its epiphany about why its solution was flawed all along was incredibly capricious and moronic. As if that wasn't bad enough, I found the sudden shift in focus from "us vs. the Reapers" to "organics vs. synthetics" to be very jarring. Honestly, it felt like an ending to a different trilogy.

I was also incredibly annoyed by some of the game's plot holes and contrivances.

For instance, your two "K.I.A." crew members deciding to flee instead of following you into the beam and finishing the mission (i.e. they can both step off the Normandy during the crash scene seemingly perfectly fine). Joker deciding to go AWOL for no discernible reason right before the Crucible is activated . . . just because the ME writers had a particular end result in mind, i.e. your crew stranded on an uninhabited planet far away from civilization like Jacob's father, but they didn't know how to pull it off in an organic, believable way.

It's true that most fans are willing to look the other way when they can see the writer's fingerprints smudging up the plot, but that's only if they find the end result satisfying. You can't have incredibly contrived plot progression AND a ****y result and not expect to be called out on it. The best bittersweet and grim-dark endings, which gamers for the most party love, tend feel authentic instead.
#67oasisbeyondPosted 3/22/2013 8:22:21 AM
MGS series, Final Fantasy series, GTA series,the old Blizzard games,
Yeah cuz every MGS was amazing...
Cuz every FF game was amazing...
Cuz Every GTA game was amazing...
#68metaldiggle2Posted 3/22/2013 11:36:36 AM
mtjormitch posted...
GradyHoover posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
1) They didn't **** it up.
2) It's one of the best, most emotionally satisfying endings in games.
3) Those who complain otherwise are so focused on marketing promises that they failed to realize that, by any other measure, it was an utterly awesome conclusion.
4) ...and boy, am I getting tired of those people.

Oh yeah, a deus ex machina that does a plot dump in the last 10 minutes that contradicts itself and everything we'd learned up until that point, followed by a brainless A, B or C ending choice that answered nothing and only raised more questions followed by a near identicle cinematic regardless of your choice that contradicted character motivations and ended on a lot of nothing was totally the most awesome ending ever.

1) Not a deus ex machina; it's set up throughout the entire game.

2) It never contradicted itself.

3) You didn't bother to play the Extended Cut I guess?

No, it is a dues ex machina. It literally is the definition of one.

Anything the kid said WAS a contradiction to everything throughout the games. There is so much wrong with the logic that I felt sickened by it.

The Extended cut is basically extending a dog turd of the original ending. That is it.

There is literally no defending the game unless you are one of the few employees at Bioware who are trying desperately to keep their jobs. That is the only reason to defend such a crap ending. I honestly do consider it one of the worst ending in fiction. I am sorry, but when you get 20K videos on how crap the game is and how so many people were and still are disapointed by it. I am sorry, but there is a reason it is hated. Damn good reasons too.

Or, you don't understand why it is bad because you didn't pay attention to any story ever. So yeah... anyone that defends the ending is completely dumb when it comes to how a story works and how it SHOULD work!

Biggest douche of a comment quite possibly ever. "DISAGREE WITH ME AND YOU'RE JUST STUPID AND WRONG AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE WRONG DERP." Grow the **** up, idiot.
---
There are times where I wish I could delete stupid threads I see.
#69BlueJester007Posted 3/22/2013 3:25:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlU1AtindEY
---
Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em.
Zoe: Shoot 'em? Mal: Politely.
#70FFTHEWINNERPosted 3/22/2013 6:13:14 PM
Super Creatures posted...
Oakland510_ posted...
Why did Bioware have to f*** up ME3's ending....

To piss of all the whiny little ****s.

THIS.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png