This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

From a business sense, what MS may potentially be doing will be good

#1OrgeLambartPosted 3/21/2013 7:00:49 AM
In the short term it might seem like a bad idea to have always online (if it's even required to use the system or not, i'm pretty sure that part is unclear currently), the blocking of used games (again if that's the route they go) and always installed disc (if that's the route they go)

They'll lose money from people who refuse those ideas or think Sony is the right choice. Obviously looking at this gen sony got the exclusives nailed down (outside of a few games, halo and gears) Will that be the same next gen. I'm willing to bet MS has some agreements in place with publishers to give them exclusive content if they go this direction.

Imagine EA with an exclusive deal to only publish games for MS (not going to happen, although it becomes blurry if you consider the whole idea of no used games) even if it's exclusive content for a few months or even a few years to MS. EA loves the rumors, they have been pushing for years toward this, why wouldn't they support MS instead of Sony.

Ultimately in the short run MS will lose, and lose big, but if the idea of no used games kicks in with publishers, Sony could have a long hard road ahead of it I'm thinking if these rumors are true MS is going with the long haul approach, earn good will with the publishers, get exclusive deals in place (why wouldn't a publisher want that, no used games means no getting their profits cut out from under them)

This will be very interesting to see, with all the people claiming to want nothing to do with these ideas. How quickly would your tune change, if the games you wanted to play were exclusive to an MS console? I have to imagine MS is fairly savy when it comes to business, they would be taking a major risk, but the risk/reward is far too great to not take it.
#2SunDevil77Posted 3/21/2013 7:03:56 AM
All this speculation doesn't really mean anything until it is confirmed. I know...more and more rumors are making it more likely...but in the end, it's all rumors.
---
175 burgers for $175...this country is winning.
#3OrgeLambart(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 7:06:06 AM
hence why i spelled that out in my first paragraph, it's all pretty much speculation until MS does their eventual console unveiling and gives the information. I was just point out why it would make good business sense for them to go that route. Although only if they have publishers in line with exclusive agreements. It goes hand in hand with them making an next gen contract with EA, which was revealed a few months back, although the terms of that agreement aren't public knowledge currently.
#4TheBlueStigPosted 3/21/2013 9:42:00 AM
Any console that blocks used games will face MASSIVE backlash from retailers. They can refuse to sell it, refuse to push it in their stores, and hide it away from the other consoles in the stores, like they've already done in the past.

That means any hardware that actually does block used games will automatically sell far less than the other consoles that allow it.

As far as the always online thing goes, that's alienating 40% of the population in the USA alone that still don't have broadband at home. They're not going to buy any system that won't work in their house.

For those that have monthly bandwidth caps on their broadband, the always online connection will be eating into their monthly caps. That's already happening with the 360's advertising stream, it will only be worse when every game has to be checked with an online verification system.

And what happens when those verifications servers get shut down years from now? You won't be able to play any of those games. And if you think they would never do that, it's already happened. Microsoft has shut down key servers for many of their online programs and anyone still left using those programs was left out in the cold, it killed the programs completely. It's also happened with music programs that had DRM'd files, none of those purchased music files work anymore when the key servers get shut down.

If Microsoft goes through with this, they're dead in the gaming industry, period. It won't just be a nail in their coffin, it will be a silver railroad spike through their heart.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5Big_IsaacPosted 3/21/2013 9:45:01 AM
the always connected thing is dumb because it will most likely tempt EA and the other scum of the industry to screw nextbox users over with DRM even worse than they do in this generation. beyond that, though, it's not going to lose MS money, let alone kill the console

what IS going to lose them money and what WILL kill the nextbox is the 2nd part of the rumor, should it turn out to be true.
no used games = gg nextbox. it's as simple as that.

here's how things are going to go if its true:
pre-release: MS does the usual bell ringing all around the industry to rope in 3rd parties. a lot of them will jump on board because they are stupid enough to think "no used games" is a good idea
release: lots of 3rd party support, lots of sales early on
post-release: sales crash down to earth because no one buys nextbox multiplats any more.

effectively, what you are doing if you are blocking used games is increasing the price of your games.
let's say Final Fantasy 15 comes out for all 3 consoles.
price on nextbox: 60 bucks
price on WiiU and PS4: 60 bucks MINUS however much you can get if you bring it back to gamestop.

this means that your effective cost for playing FF15 on your nextbox is 20-30 bucks higher than on WiiU/PS4

obviously this math isn't going to take effect until after the launch, so that's why I say it'll probably have a pretty strong launch window. after that, though, it's going to die.
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#6badmanneilPosted 3/21/2013 9:45:12 AM
Topics like this are so pointless. You sir have no idea what you are talking about nor do you know what is best for Microsoft's future. Microsoft has the best financial and marketing teams at their fingertips who have pretty much thought about everything including stupid topics such as theses. Im pretty sure they are going to be fine...
---
Gamertag: Krazzy Bananas
#7TheBlueStigPosted 3/21/2013 9:53:02 AM
Big_Isaac posted...
it's not going to lose MS money, let alone kill the console

When 40% of the population can't use the system at home, that's a money loss right there.

Now add in the number of people with monthly bandwidth caps who can't use the system, that's another money loss.

Now add in the blocking of used games, that's a HUGE money loss right there from retailers refusing to support the system or sell the games.

Now factor in the competition who WON'T be forcing online or blocking used games.

Microsoft is DEAD in the gaming industry if they go through with this.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#8shawnmckPosted 3/21/2013 9:57:53 AM
Used games are NOT what's hurting some of these Developers...
Making CRAPPY games is.

If you are against the used game industry, then by default you are fully in favor of these Developers to continue to make crappy & short games and charge full price for them.

Stop being a tool.
#9OrgeLambart(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 9:59:40 AM
Like I said, the only way it works is if they have exclusive agreements in place. If you have the games people want to play and they can't get it on the other system they will submit and buy your system.

It's a risk for MS to take, with that risk will come rewards if they get publishers to play ball, which you'd be foolish to think a company like EA wouldn't be on board with any of the three issues mentioned. Whether people want to admit it or not EA going exclusive with MS next gen would be huge. Even if it's just exclusive for a set period of time.

Imagine for a second, EA goes exclusive with BF 4. (by exclusive I mean Nextbox and PC) Imagine they do the same thing with all their high selling games. Madden, Fifa, etc etc etc.

Not saying that would happen, MS seems to have forgotten about gamers after the 2nd or 3rd year, so I could see them getting big headed and thinking they can do it without the exclusives in place.
#10TheBlueStigPosted 3/21/2013 10:01:41 AM
badmanneil posted...
Topics like this are so pointless. You sir have no idea what you are talking about nor do you know what is best for Microsoft's future. Microsoft has the best financial and marketing teams at their fingertips who have pretty much thought about everything including stupid topics such as theses. Im pretty sure they are going to be fine...

No, they won't be fine.

First, think about what happens to Live every time a big game gets released, or a big DLC pack for a big game. The number of connections overwhelms Microsoft's servers to the point of crashing the whole damn network.

Now, think about what happened to Diablo 3 when they forced an always-online connection for the singleplayer game. Their servers couldn't handle it. NO SERVER COULD HANDLE IT.

The internet infrastructure in the USA simply is not ready for that many people connecting to the same place all at once.
---
Ben Franklin