This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After Dark/Demon's Souls, video games are boring

#81Killah PriestPosted 3/22/2013 2:56:57 PM
I've taken hour+ long breaks multiple times in Dark Souls and just left the controller sitting there game unpaused.

never died once, its not like enemies randomly wander around the map looking for you and there are ways to not be invaded.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#82Res5Posted 3/22/2013 2:57:54 PM
Killah Priest posted...
I've taken hour+ long breaks multiple times in Dark Souls and just left the controller sitting there game unpaused.

never died once, its not like enemies randomly wander around the map looking for you and there are ways to not be invaded.

So have I. Go to a bonfire and sit at it, no one will touch you (or at least no demons will touch you). But there are sometimes pretty long stretches between bonfires.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#83Killah PriestPosted 3/22/2013 3:00:54 PM(edited)
I can't think of any location where there isn't a bonfire after about 20-30 min of play and multiple areas that you could just stand around in not counting bonfires.

enemies don't randomly look for you, they don't even trigger until you trigger them. They stand there doing absolutely nothing.
---
#84Res5Posted 3/22/2013 3:04:23 PM
Sure but in that case you can still be invaded, even by NPC invaders. I get it, the game wants you to always be in danger, and most of the time that's not really a problem but the few times you get screwed over because of these choices it's all the more frustrating. I don't play games to be frustrated which is why if I end up doing the same thing too many times in a row and not progressing I put it down and play another game. Sometimes I never go back to it either because I have no desire to sit there and redo the same thing over and over again. There's way too many games out there to just sit and be stuck in the same spot in one single game.
---
#85Deathx113Posted 3/22/2013 3:05:18 PM
Res5 posted...

Well I never said it didn't come down to opinion but whenever I say I don't like the lack of a pause feature people jump on me as if I was saying pi was exactly 3.

I have plenty of time to play the game actually. I tend to spend many hours on the game uninterrupted actually....but it doesn't change the fact that I prefer to pause a game. And I don't believe in the "the game isn't for this person" kind of BS. The only reason a game isn't for someone is if they don't let it be.

And also someone shouldn't have to stop playing a game because of design features that clash with their life or preferences. If you like a game, you play it. That's all there is to it. How many games have you played that had iffy controls but amazing music and story? You played through the controls. It's the same type of thinking with the Souls series. It's good, and if it grabs you it doesn't let go very easily, but that one design choice seems to hinder more than it helps in most cases. People who don't mind it could also live without it but people who don't like it still have to live with it because they enjoy playing the game.

I also don't agree with the "it's just a game" nonsense. Gaming is pretty much my life. I have a job I thoroughly enjoy, I have a career set up and everything, but gaming will always be my true passion. It's not just a game, it's a lifestyle.

But not every game IS for everybody.

Not everyone likes sports games, nor should everybody like sports games.

Even if the devs added a pause button people would still find something to hate about Dark Souls. Some games are just meant to be enjoyed by a certain people.

Heh people do get defensive about Dark Souls, but hey every game has its major fanboys. xD

I game more than anybody I know in real life (probs not on gfaqs), and while it is my major hobby I don't make it my life.

It is 2nd to most everything. Though, I will blow stuff off to play games. I'm a pretty patient dude, in life and in gaming, so maybe I'm just not bother by dying/restarting. Could be a personality type of thing, idk. I know I dislike having to do something over and over again if I dislike it, but that isn't so for most of the games I play.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#86Deathx113Posted 3/22/2013 3:06:40 PM
Res5 posted...
Killah Priest posted...

So have I. Go to a bonfire and sit at it, no one will touch you (or at least no demons will touch you). But there are sometimes pretty long stretches between bonfires.

Not sure how new/old you are to Dark Souls, but you can buy homeward bones that instantly teleport you to a bonfire. I always keep 99 on hand, just in case.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#87shawnmckPosted 3/22/2013 3:07:09 PM
Res5 posted...

You're right, it is a minor thing. But it's a minor thing that gets brought up often and even when it's brought up casually it starts gigantic arguments over it.

And I don't think anyone has been fully reading my posts. I have said several times I love the Souls series. I love the great designs they make, but this one feature really bogs down the experience overall. Minor or not it has a sort of cascading affect on the whole thing.

I probably make a bigger deal out of it than I should but it's not that I think no one should disagree but I get jumped on like I'm the bad guy when I mention it and I don't take kindly to being treated that way.

^ You are just someone (gamer) that is put in a really awkward situation where you need to be constantly on the ready to make quick reactions on the fly, and can't be held-up by a game that lacks a pause feature, because that puts you in a difficult situation.

But all anyone is saying is that it's not the game's fault...nor is it your fault. It is just the circumstances that you find yourself in, so I can totally sympathize with you and totally understand your point of view.
Had you not have to take care of your sister, then this wouldn't be an issue for you at all.
It definitely sucks for you.
But there really is no-one to blame for it....not you, & not the game.

Please don't take it as others just jumping on you, as that isn't really what is happening at all.
All anyone is doing is trying to get you to put things in perspective. Which is a bit unfair to you, because you are just trying to do the same, which is to get others to see your perspective.
Again, its nobody's fault, and there is no animosity involved, but some take it that way.

But you do have my sympathies and I really wish you could experience the game in the way it was meant to be experienced without having to drop everything (dark souls) on the fly, so as to take care of things at home.
#88Killah PriestPosted 3/22/2013 3:07:34 PM
Sure but in that case you can still be invaded, even by NPC invaders.

I already addressed the invader thing and the NPC invaders don't randomly invade either they have criteria.
---
#89Res5Posted 3/22/2013 3:09:30 PM
I'm also very VERY patient but my patience runs thin with repetition with no progress. It's one thing to be repetitive cuz you're grinding or because the game isn't as fleshed out as it could be but to have to redo something so much that I can't make any progress that's where my patience draws the line.

If I don't think I can do something, I'm not gonna force myself to do something I have no interest in being better at. That's why I haven't beaten either Demon's or Dark Souls.
---
#90Res5Posted 3/22/2013 3:11:53 PM
shawnmck posted...
Res5 posted...

You're right, it is a minor thing. But it's a minor thing that gets brought up often and even when it's brought up casually it starts gigantic arguments over it.

And I don't think anyone has been fully reading my posts. I have said several times I love the Souls series. I love the great designs they make, but this one feature really bogs down the experience overall. Minor or not it has a sort of cascading affect on the whole thing.

I probably make a bigger deal out of it than I should but it's not that I think no one should disagree but I get jumped on like I'm the bad guy when I mention it and I don't take kindly to being treated that way.

^ You are just someone (gamer) that is put in a really awkward situation where you need to be constantly on the ready to make quick reactions on the fly, and can't be held-up by a game that lacks a pause feature, because that puts you in a difficult situation.

But all anyone is saying is that it's not the game's fault...nor is it your fault. It is just the circumstances that you find yourself in, so I can totally sympathize with you and totally understand your point of view.
Had you not have to take care of your sister, then this wouldn't be an issue for you at all.
It definitely sucks for you.
But there really is no-one to blame for it....not you, & not the game.

Please don't take it as others just jumping on you, as that isn't really what is happening at all.
All anyone is doing is trying to get you to put things in perspective. Which is a bit unfair to you, because you are just trying to do the same, which is to get others to see your perspective.
Again, its nobody's fault, and there is no animosity involved, but some take it that way.

But you do have my sympathies and I really wish you could experience the game in the way it was meant to be experienced without having to drop everything (dark souls) on the fly, so as to take care of things at home.

Wrong person. I'm not the one with the sister. :P

I really shouldn't talk about things I don't like in games. It's very rare that I find a feature that rubs me in just the wrong way that I can't stand it but this is one of them.
---