This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I use a standard external HDD with my 360?

#1PharoahPelicanPosted 3/23/2013 12:46:18 PM
I have a 1TB Hard Drive, can I make a partition or something for my 360 and plug it in and put DLC and things like that on there?
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#2CapwnDPosted 3/23/2013 12:49:28 PM
often an external HDD will pass the test but give you warnings. Personally I wouldn't use it, I would use a flash drive.

You can only use up to 32gb anyways, so just get a 32gb flash.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#3Super CreaturesPosted 3/23/2013 6:35:40 PM
Just be aware that all USB storage devices must be formatted as FAT32 for the 360 to recognize it.

Also note that Windows (not sure about Lenux or the Mac OS) will not format a device/partition larger than 32GB as FAT32, meaning you would have to use a third-party program to do it, and the one I know of, at least when I was looking around for one, requires the premium (AKA paid) version to run on Vista and newer versions of Windows.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#4CammyApplePosted 3/23/2013 6:41:29 PM
Super Creatures posted...
Just be aware that all USB storage devices must be formatted as FAT32 for the 360 to recognize it.

Also note that Windows (not sure about Lenux or the Mac OS) will not format a device/partition larger than 32GB as FAT32, meaning you would have to use a third-party program to do it, and the one I know of, at least when I was looking around for one, requires the premium (AKA paid) version to run on Vista and newer versions of Windows.

Various live CDs for Linux distros can do it though.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.