This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls has the best combat system, Skyrim has the worst in RPG genre

#51SomnambulisticPosted 3/24/2013 12:13:57 AM
ElderPredator12 posted...
I think Dark Souls is a pretty great game and all, but..

Holy HELL is that combat system overhyped as f***. It's not even remotely as deep, satisfying, or difficult as the good majority of people make it out to be. Still well done and fun for the most part, but man, I haven't seen something so overblown this gen in a long long time. And this is coming from somebody who's put about 200 hours into the game already.

Don't brag if you only put 200 hours in Dark Souls. Most Dark Souls players put over 1000 hours into the game. And many more like me put over 2000-2500 hours

Wasn't meant to be a brag. Just clarifying I'm not some random schmuck hating on a game with only having barely played it.
---
I saw the storm reach from the sky to the ground
As dark as the day was bright
#52Silent Sniper IVPosted 3/24/2013 12:33:43 AM
-Damien- posted...

Don't brag if you only put 200 hours in Dark Souls. Most Dark Souls players put over 1000 hours into the game. And many more like me put over 2000-2500 hours

So you've played nearly 5 hours of dark souls a day, every day, for the last 18 months? That's astoundingly depressing.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#53kingbahamut83Posted 3/24/2013 12:46:41 AM
NeoGeoXSega posted...
Darksouls is a good game. Skyrim is good game. The end.

But Dark Souls has an amazing combat system, you have to block, counter, parry, side step & time your attacks for every fight!

Skyrim has a horrible combat system, you mash on the attack button until your thumb hurts & spam dragon shouts as much as you can, the end .

idk how you play skyrim, but I don't use my thumb to do attacks. Why do you need to spam shouts? Get a better weapon or improve one that you have already. I cant say anything on dark souls as I have yet to play it, but I don't see why all the hate on skyrim. My only problem is with the freezing that Bethesda games are known for, remedied by installing to hard drive.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
The R in my tag is apparently invisible in COD to everyone.
#54SparkItUpPosted 3/24/2013 12:52:46 AM
Does the collector's edition of Dark Souls offer anything worth getting? or should i just get the base game?
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#55bubbas111Posted 3/24/2013 1:04:05 AM
NeoGeoXSega posted...
Darksouls is a good game. Skyrim is good game. The end.

But Dark Souls has an amazing combat system, you have to block, counter, parry, side step & time your attacks for every fight!

Skyrim has a horrible combat system, you mash on the attack button until your thumb hurts & spam dragon shouts as much as you can, the end .

Skyrim actually is pretty similar to your description of Dark Souls (outside of parrying). The only difference is that in Skyrim you can spam your attacks and on lower difficulties you can get away with it.

I also don't get all this talk about Dark Souls going out there and taking a risk. DS borrows heavily from the Monster Hunter games. It is pretty much a more grounded version with humonoid like enemies instead of all beasts. It's one of the reasons I enjoy Dark Souls boss fights, they get your heart pumping and make you think what you are doing.
---
gamertag-bubbas111
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3265619
#56-Damien-(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 1:56:21 AM(edited)
Silent Sniper IV posted...
-Damien- posted...

So you've played nearly 5 hours of dark souls a day, every day, for the last 18 months? That's astoundingly depressing.

5 hours?!? BAH!

try 12-15 hours a day the first month it came out
#57OrgeLambartPosted 3/24/2013 2:21:19 AM
Dark Souls sucks, and the combat is mindnumbingly stupid. grr lets make this game hard by making the AI cheat.... dah.. people eat that stuff up.

Dark Souls isn't even hard, it's just fulled with ever loving cheapness. Skyrim is easier, the combat is far more fluid which to some people equates to mashing the attack button (which is you were mashing the attack button you did it wrong)

The game has plenty of difficulty (albeit cheap, just not in the Dark Souls cheap kind of way) Take it offer very easy and easy and put up that difficulty. Stop saving after every fight and see how difficult it really is.

Anyway

Skyrim >>>> Dark Souls overall as a game.
#58IzicialPosted 3/24/2013 3:05:42 AM
Ya mashing the attack button in Skyrim is sooooo much fun. Plus all the fetch quests and boring atmosphere and story are amazing as well. SOOOO much better than Dark Souls combat, decent story (though hidden and not shoved down ur throat), and lack of "I need blah blah of this item or this thing killed go do it quests."
#59GeistPosted 3/24/2013 3:08:50 AM
If Dark Souls was as good as people claimed it would not need all this constant advertising to make it's fans feel better.
---
Nintendo is to gaming what Nerf is to sports.
#60Cvdf3Posted 3/24/2013 3:19:10 AM(edited)
The -single largest problem- with Skyrim's combat is they allow you to move while attacking (and I don't mean running leading into an attack but literally moving while swinging properly).

This is why it feels floaty and a game like Souls (or someone mentioned Dragon's Dogma) does not. It is one time in videogames where realism really does add to the game and gameplay. Makes you think about your swings, placement, and doesn't allow you or your enemy to mindlessly hack away at whatever.

For anyone who doesn't understand what I mean when I say that it is unrealistic:
In order to do almost anything with your arms like aim a gun, aim a bow, or -especially- swing something your core must be engaged. Something that significantly lessens, sometimes almost completely, when moving your lower body.
That is why it is literally easier to shoot a bow from a horse than it would be to shoot a bow while walking at a decent pace.
---
Capcom just announced and cancelled a new MegaMan game within the same hour...