This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Turtle Beach's Dying, Need a New Headset

#1McNabFishPosted 3/26/2013 10:10:52 AM
So after owning the Turtle Beach x41's from release, they are sadly coming to the end of their life span. I have looked up other potential suitors, such as Astro a50 (although their horrific customer service record puts me off) as well as Tritton's warheads which seem tempting. However neither provide the needs I want in a new headset. I require:

Both compatability with Xbox and PC
Wireless (although not essential)
Something on par with or better than my previous 41's

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!
---
You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.
#2GGearXPosted 3/26/2013 10:18:26 AM
How much. Willing to spend?
---
GT: KryDamoure
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#3McNabFish(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 10:44:20 AM
I would have thought posting about the Astro's and Trittons would have been an indication...

Anyway, roughly around the 200 mark. Money is not a massive factor, its the quality I am after, however sometimes you have to pay more for the quality.

I was looking at the latest Turtle Beach's but there is no way in hell I am having a call of duty branded headset...
---
#4CapwnDPosted 3/26/2013 11:35:31 AM
I would have thought posting about the Astro's and Trittons would have been an indication...

That's an indication, but if you want the best of the best, it's going to be a little more than that.

I suggest the Astro Mixamp along with the Sennheiser PC360. In fact, since you have the X41 you could actually also use that base unit along with the Mixamp, and have two amps, one for voice and one for the game sound. That's what I do (but with the DSS2 + mixamp).

You would need one additional cable, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
#5MrFailPosted 3/26/2013 11:49:36 AM
When I searched for wireless PC/Xbox headset, I ultimately concluded that the Razer Chimaera was the best choice. After owning them for about a year, I can't really complain. No feedback on skype or xbl. Wireless with a charging dock. Lasts about 6-7 hours with a full charge. 5.1 surround which works only mildly well.

As for comfort, I can wear them for 6+ hour play sessions with no complaints but I also own a different headset that is much more comfortable. So if you are easily put off by something a little rough around the edges go for something else.

I'm wouldn't be surprised if there are better options nowadays for wireless PC/xbox but it was my pick a year ago.
#6CapwnDPosted 3/26/2013 11:54:26 AM
When I searched for wireless PC/Xbox headset

Oh yeah... I forgot about the wireless thing. My suggestion is far from wireless!
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
#7IvanKozlovPosted 3/26/2013 11:55:48 AM
McNabFish posted...

Anyway, roughly around the 200 mark. Money is not a massive factor, its the quality I am after, however sometimes you have to pay more for the quality.

I was looking at the latest Turtle Beach's but there is no way in hell I am having a call of duty branded headset...

If you want a wireless solution, the only choice is the Astro a50.
---
LIGHT UP THE NIGHT!
#8MrFailPosted 3/26/2013 12:00:47 PM(edited)
CaPwnD posted...
When I searched for wireless PC/Xbox headset

Oh yeah... I forgot about the wireless thing. My suggestion is far from wireless!

He said it wasn't essential so your responses are valid.

@TC If money isn't a huge issue, those A50's might be the way to go. My friends use the wired astros and they might actually be the best headset on the market in terms of quality.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if the best set up included a headset and mic independent of each other.
#9McNabFish(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 3:56:01 PM
The thing is though yes, they are above and beyond the best headsets (Astro's) yet while researching them I read so many horror stories of their customer service it really really puts me off them sadly. The only way people have managed to get money back for their faulty products was through the seller (amazon) or Paypal. Not a route I would like to take the trouble with should something go array
---
#10CapwnDPosted 3/26/2013 7:17:58 PM
The thing is though yes, they are above and beyond the best headsets (Astro's) yet while researching them I read so many horror stories of their customer service it really really puts me off them sadly. The only way people have managed to get money back for their faulty products was through the seller (amazon) or Paypal. Not a route I would like to take the trouble with should something go array

Are these people you know or are you watching the pissy forrums?

When I was pissing and moaning in the forums, the staff encouraged me to fill out a ticket and all that.

When I bought my first one, first I bought just the mixamp, then later I bought the A40. They adjustd the pirce so that i would get the bundle price.

I've had nothing but delightful responses from their customer service. I'm not thrilled with the new model mixamp, but it's not too bad and still the best I've seen for the setups that I use.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh