This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best wireless headsets for gaming?

#1FourteZeroPosted 3/26/2013 2:56:29 PM
Within the $100-$200 price range?

It's between:

Turtle Beach Call of Duty: Black Ops II Ear Force X-Ray Wireless Headset

[url]http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/turtle-beach-turtle-beach-call- of-duty-black-ops-ii-ear-force-x-ray-wireless-headset-tbs-4276-01-tbs- 4276-01/10220981.aspx?path=4b6170be39ccaede3e9b156f09e69681en02&Se archPageIndex=1[/url]

Sony PlayStation 3 Pulse Wireless Headset

[url]http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/playstation-3-sony-playstation- 3-pulse-wireless-headset-99038/10221085.aspx?path=dde634cf1093239199c8 57d380e0bfb2en02&SearchPageIndex=1[/url]

No, I don't care about the BLOPS branding, just care about the quality. With Turtle Beach, there's the Blops X Rays and the PX5 that I'm considering. The X Rays are newer and some reviewers have said that interference is a big issue with the PX5 but everyone seems to love the X Rays

I guess my real question is, is the PS3 Pulse Wireless Headset better than The Turtle Beach X Ray? Generally Sony is known for good audio products including their headphones, especially for the price. But Turtle Beach only makes gaming headsets, so IDK. Any of you guys have any experience with either? based on reviews/specs or opinions?

The Sony headset has 7.1 where the Turtle Beach one only has 5.1 - Is there anything about the Turtle beach set that makes it worth the extra 50 bucks - other than the COD brand? better noise cancelling? less interference?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

edit: I have both a ps3 and 360. I use the 360 primarily. I know the sony's still work with any device, but is there any loss in quality if you use these with anything other than a ps3/vita? Or is it just the extra stuff like on-screen menu's and stuff? thanks.
#2GGearXPosted 3/26/2013 3:02:10 PM
Do you like black ops 2? If so get that. It seems good.
---
GT: KryDamoure
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#3CapwnDPosted 3/26/2013 4:33:59 PM
The Sony headset has 7.1 where the Turtle Beach one only has 5.1 - Is there anything about the Turtle beach set that makes it worth the extra 50 bucks

That is somewhat of a complex question, that shouldn't be as complex as it is.

Don't get hung up too much on the 5.1 vs 7.1. The only case where it might be relevant is what you just said... the Sony headset. I can't say for sure because I don't know if the sony headset actually get 8 channels thorough blutooth. It might... I don't know.

But generally, with all these headsets the whole "5.1 vs 7.1" thing is bogus. Either way, if you're using Toslink optical, it's only getting channels (5.1) at the most. So perhaps the headset is claiming to take those 6 channels and simulate a 7.1 experience as opposed to the other headsets that simulate a 5.1 experience.... I still think that is bogus. Dolby Headphone technology is awesome and amazing and I love it with all my heart, but I don't think one can measure it in terms like 5.1 and 7.1. Generally, it all sounds great in that regard, and the determining factor will be the quality and power of your headphones.

tl;dr read the bold part.
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
#4FourteZero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 10:00:13 AM
The COD branding honestly doesn't bother me either way. I don't play the game, but I don't hate the franchise either. I could care less what's on the headphones, just the quality.

Thanks for the 5.1-7.1 info. That makes complete sense. I think I had a little tunnel vision there! I think I'm going to go with the COD Turtle Beach set since the Sony's sound like they're a pain to work with the xbox or anything other than sony products. The COD's look like the best quality for the price

Thanks!
#5CapwnDPosted 3/27/2013 10:33:25 AM
Good luck! Post back after you have them, if you would like. I like to hear opinions on what headsets people choose.

since the Sony's sound like they're a pain to work with the xbox or anything other than sony products.

If you're talking about that official 7.1 headset, I don't htink it would work at all with the 360. It did the audio via USB wirelessly to the headset.
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
#6FourteZero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 12:02:34 PM
I got the COD headset in the end. I got a wicked deal after manipulating the retail system a little bit, got them for $144!

They sound amazing! This is my first headset, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I'm impressed. there are multiple audio settings, bass and everything sounds good. It was easy to hook up with my tv/surround. They're comfortable as hell and drown out all the background noise really well. They fit perfectly over your ears so the actual speakers/pads aren't touching your ear, just the padded part around your ear. After a while you barely notice them

The surround sound simulation is very convincing! I jumped for the remote to turn the surround volume down when it got loud and I thought my neighboors would start banging on my door, then realized they were just headphones! So they tricked me! They're that good!

My only complaint is that you have to hook up a little cable between your controller and headset to be able to chat, but the stock headsets that come with the 360 are like that too, so it's kind of a weak complaint. I don't play online if i can help it anyway, and when i do, i rarely chat - so it's not a big deal to me. I

give these a 9/10. -1 point for the chat cable and the COD branding - which isn't that bad or over the top btw. I can see these lasting a long time.
#7zack12369Posted 3/28/2013 2:23:40 PM
Bro, xp400
---
gt : z a c k t k.
http://tinyurl.com/d34tjqt