This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like such a traitor to the cause...

#1Dragon NexusPosted 3/26/2013 5:02:33 PM
Some of you might possibly know I have had a boycott on Capcom for a while, mostly because I disagree with their methods of business which has put them in a fairly anti-consumer kind of roll.

Thing is, this boycott has been easy as all hell to maintain thus far because there has been so few Capcom games even worth buying to begin with. My resolve was tested with Dragon's Dogma and DmC, both games I'd like to buy. I'd even be interested in the new Monster Hunter, if only Nintendo didn't have a damn contractual strangle hold on the franchise for 3 years.

But now I've had to give in for one game coming out soon.
Remember Me.

I get the feeling this is a game that'll get 7s and 8s, perhaps. Thing is, I'm a complete sucker for cyberpunk settings. I freakin love it. I know I'm generally outnumbered by the steampunk lovers, and I enjoy that in its own way, but cyberpunk is where it's at...so immediately I was interested. Secondly, the female protagonist. I make a female character whenever I can, I enjoy playing games with female characters and I'm bored senseless of muscular shaven headed marines that dominate video games these days. Sure, you can get male protagonists with personalities and depth to them, but they're so few and far between. I tend to see it happen more in JRPGs, sad to say. Not in all, but in some.

Everything about the premise, the art style, the design...it just clicks with me. But then I realised Capcom was publishing it and I was so torn on this. What won me over, honestly, was this Gamespot article.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/publishers-said-you-cant-have-a-female-character-says-remember-me-dev-6405550

See, if I'm trying to send my small and ineffectual message to game publishers, my desire to see more well crafted and intelligently written female protagonists by far outweight my desire to send a message that I want Capcom to stop locking content behind a pay wall.

I want to see this game succeed, and I hope to god it's good enough to become something of a sleeper hit, at least. It's getting so little press and the message board is a bowl of tumbleweeds. It'll probably end up dying a death from lack of advertisement.

Sorry, I know this has turned into Blogfaqs, but this is the first time I've actually felt truely passionate about something potentially possitive in gaming for some time.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 3/26/2013 5:04:37 PM
Preach it, Brother Dragon.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3gorypaldin2Posted 3/26/2013 5:05:25 PM
Well I play games based on the game itself and not on the publisher, but don't falter brother don't be found wanting.
---
The mods know where they can go
#4DoukouPosted 3/26/2013 5:05:32 PM
1 game won't kill your boycott.
---
Don't read this sig.
#5EnigmaGamerPosted 3/26/2013 5:18:50 PM
Just buy them used. Then you still get the game, and you still don't give them anything.

Or just buy the ones new that actually do things right. Like the DMC collection had nothing taken out that's already on the disc or just to be sold as DLC, so I still got it.

I don't even have a boycott on their stuff, most of their stuff just doesn't intrest me anyway. The DLC milking is just another reason for me to stay away.
---
Currently Playing:Various JRPGs, Various Shmups, Halo : Reach, and some other games. Because I'm too lazy to ever update this.
#6SunDevil77Posted 3/26/2013 5:29:53 PM
I wish I could boycott them...but little by little they are regaining my faith
---
I hate listening to dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of pictures. If I'm not in any of them, and nobody's having sex, I just...don't care
#7Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 5:34:29 PM
I don't even have a boycott on their stuff, most of their stuff just doesn't intrest me anyway.

That's tended to be the issue for me.
People hate the word "boycott" these days because people misuse the term, screaming "Boycott!" if they change the colour of Sonic's eyes, or if the voice actor changes or something, to the point that any genuine boycotts get mocked.
Either that or people have a genuine grievance, declare they're going to boycott something and then buy it anyway (MW2 dedicated servers, anyone?).
Or people boycott something they weren't going to buy anyway.

But I honestly went into this expecting it to be a difficult thing to maintain, but it seemed the moment I started it up was the moment Capcom began sucking, releasing average titles that tried to appeal to an audience that didn't exist. It's like Bioware trying to make a JRPG. It's not what we want from you guys, we have people to make JRPGs for us and Japan isn't going to love you forever for making a lame westernised copy of something they already have. So why are we allowing Capcom to try and make lame versions of TPS games we already have? We have Uncharted and Gears of War for third person shooters, we don't need Resident Evil to go that route, thanks.

Well I play games based on the game itself and not on the publisher

I get that idea. I understand completely, way more people simply don't care about the politics (if that's the right word) of games and simply want their entertainment and I'm totally fine with that. I just love games and I want the medium to move forwards in possitive ways, not take anything possitive and bend it over their thigh to fit with an existing model so that it barely resembles the original intent.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#8GGearXPosted 3/26/2013 5:45:44 PM
Meh. I am still boycotting them . They killed megaman, my most favorite character in the world. They butchered dante and made him look like some generic punk.
And they screwed up freaking resident evil , to try and make it all edgy and cool like the movies. That company is horrible.
---
GT: KryDamoure
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#9Flamechamp2333Posted 3/26/2013 5:48:19 PM
Don't feel ashamed on getting dragon's dogma: Dark Arisen. It has all the dlc and locked content and a new expansion along with the original game, probably something that is as long as skyrim. Its only 40 bucks, too. Capcom ain't screwin' ya there.
---
this screenshot is for warcraft 3 players: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5835/masscritters.jpg
#10TheGrandFinalePosted 3/26/2013 5:51:47 PM
Don't buy it. Slippery slope fallacy! If you get it, you'll eventually continue buying more and more of Capcom's evil products. So don't.

PS. Currently loving Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and can't wait for Dark Arisen and Remember Me. Will also get Revelations Unveiled. Game was amazing on 3DS. Won't keep myself from enjoying games, because I got only one chance at life and I won't prevent myself from enjoying games because of some moral code that won't affect Capcom in the slightest. They are ***** though.
---
GT- F0rneus / Nintendo Network - F0rneus / PSN -Helphinx / Steam- Chern0bog / 3DS FC: 4425-1553-4029