This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like such a traitor to the cause...

#21DarkSymbiotePosted 3/27/2013 7:22:25 AM
I know but I doubt it will have good characters.

tbh...if you have no actual evidense of it other than "I reckon" then I'm not going to worry too much. Out-of-context demos aren't usually a good judge for story and characterisation.

You already think it will have good characters, why can't I? I've seen the obsession with "strong" female leads. Only a few games like Tomb Raider succeed.
---
I like cake.
#22WinternovaPosted 3/27/2013 8:13:46 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Alpha Protocol as well has mediocre gameplay in general, but the story is told so well with well written characters and believable conversation paths that can lead in very different directions that it kept me playing.

Once I adapted to the game engine (instead of wanting the game engine to play how *I* wanted it to play), I found the game a hell of a lot of fun. :-)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#23VincentVegaPosted 3/27/2013 8:18:48 AM
Just buy what you want to buy. You boycotting their games makes zero difference to Capcom. You're only punishing yourself in the end.
---
"I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work."
Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#24shagadelicPosted 3/27/2013 8:59:42 AM
You can still play those games and not violate your boycott. Rent or buy them used and don't spend a dime on DLC. That's what I'm doing when it comes to Capcom games since SF x Tekken.
#25SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/27/2013 9:19:50 AM(edited)
TC likes males in JRPGs cause they are more like chicks lol.

You could also just rent the games or buy it used TC and campcom will not get any $$$
#26ARsignal11Posted 3/27/2013 9:46:47 AM
Don't buy the game Day 1, but buy it a month or so down the road during a sale. Seems like a good alternative.
#27Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 4:57:33 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Alpha Protocol as well has mediocre gameplay in general, but the story is told so well with well written characters and believable conversation paths that can lead in very different directions that it kept me playing.

Once I adapted to the game engine (instead of wanting the game engine to play how *I* wanted it to play), I found the game a hell of a lot of fun. :-)

Yeah, it was one of those games you kinda need to learn how it works before you begin enjoying it.

You kinda..manipulate it into dong what you need. You need to learn how the AI works, how the geometry of the levels works, what the scripts are, that kinda thing.
Some games are so tightly controlled you basically walk along a path and take in the lovely sights, going "Ohhh" and "Ahhh", and some games are presented as they are and let you just get on with it, even though your actions might end up breaking something.

Like an early level in Middle Eastistan where you can creep through a large area, ignoring everyone, actuvate the next checkpoint and go back to find all of the enemies have been despawned from the world, so you can explore and find the hdden stuff at your leisure. Downside being you have to re-find it every time you load the checkpoint.

I've seen the obsession with "strong" female leads. Only a few games like Tomb Raider succeed.

I used to use Mass Effect as an example, until someone pointed out that you're still technically playing a male character in a female body. The lines and actions aren't changed for Femshep aside from a few romance moments.

But that's kinda the point, there just aren't enough good female characters in games. And even fewer female protagonists.

Gears of War is a let down in this respect. Helena Stroud was a serious bad-ass in the novels, well written, sympathetic but also tough as old boots. Her daughter Anya becomes very much like her as the world falls apart around them, toughening up as she needs to evolve from operations command behind a desk to frontline active duty. But she doesn't really do anything in GoW3. Bernie was practically a cameo. Sam is given no development, despite everything set up for her in the novels. It's really kinda sad, they were the characters I looked forward to seeing in the game more than any others.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#28StarskiRPosted 3/27/2013 5:07:22 PM
Buy them used?
Capcom doesn't get the money from your purchase.
---
XBL GT: CoryStarkiller