This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm trying to find the catch here on this gamestop deal.

#11TheBlueStigPosted 3/27/2013 5:10:41 PM
Bekness posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Game guides are for people who lack internet access at home or are just too lazy to get on the net and find the same info.

I read a topic a while ago where people were talking about how they like to collect these things, and that they can't get the same info online. Man some people are stupid.

Can't get the same info online?

You can't find screenshots, spreadsheet item breakdowns, maps, and even video walkthroughs (paper guides don't have those), online?

Just how far below Whitebelt are your Google-Fu skills?
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#12VeryDarkSoulPosted 3/27/2013 5:15:39 PM
gabrius posted...
The catch is that you have to go to Gamestop to get this deal.

HAHAHAHA
---
Ron Paul 2012
#13zyxomma100Posted 3/27/2013 5:18:35 PM
When it comes to raw amount of info, I can't think of a single instance where the paper guide wins.

But there are some benefits to a paper guide, because it's always faster to turn between a few marked pages than it is to do the same with two webpages or portions thereof. I can't say I've actually used one since the Pokemon R/B/Y days, but to say that online guides offer everything a paper guide does is ridiculous.

Also, there's a huge difference between finding game artwork on the internet and having a physical version. Or a poster/soundtrack, which some guides come with.
#14TheBlueStigPosted 3/27/2013 5:23:44 PM
zyxomma100 posted...
When it comes to raw amount of info, I can't think of a single instance where the paper guide wins.

But there are some benefits to a paper guide, because it's always faster to turn between a few marked pages than it is to do the same with two webpages or portions thereof. I can't say I've actually used one since the Pokemon R/B/Y days, but to say that online guides offer everything a paper guide does is ridiculous.

Also, there's a huge difference between finding game artwork on the internet and having a physical version. Or a poster/soundtrack, which some guides come with.

Yet another sub-whitebelt...

Poster sized digital artwork is EASY to find online, and can be taken to any copy shop and printed out into a full size poster.

Soundtracks, also easy to find online, and with a bit of skill, can be had for FREE.

Now name one game, just ONE GAME where a paper guide had more info than a multitude of online sources and STILL has more info....
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#15Flamechamp2333Posted 3/27/2013 5:24:44 PM
why in god's name do people still care to buy guides these days? Guys, you're on the internet obviously- you have access to 50 guides. Why spend 30 bucks on a guide when you get it for free
---
this screenshot is for warcraft 3 players: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5835/masscritters.jpg
#16VeryDarkSoulPosted 3/27/2013 5:32:39 PM
Flamechamp2333 posted...
why in god's name do people still care to buy guides these days? Guys, you're on the internet obviously- you have access to 50 guides. Why spend 30 bucks on a guide when you get it for free

this is true, however some guides are very nice
---
Ron Paul 2012
#17thekozmicpigPosted 3/27/2013 5:36:41 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Poster sized digital artwork is EASY to find online, and can be taken to any copy shop and printed out into a full size poster.

Or, if you don't care about regular paper (or physical effort) you can just download posterazor for free and make anything a poster.

I did it with a 1280 x 1024 sized image and it looks pretty good. Not, official or anything, but hey, for free, can't complain.
---
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats
#18Oldskool_RulezPosted 3/27/2013 5:38:57 PM
Flamechamp2333 posted...

Amen brother. I'd rather make donations to the people who write guides on this website. The best part about it, is that you can actually talk to the people who write the guides. You can inform them if something in the guide is wrong, and contribute things they don't have covered yet.

Compared to the big name companies that release strategy guides, GameFAQs just generally seems superior when it comes to guides and walkthroughs IMO. And if there happens to be false info in, lets say a Prima Strategy Guide, there's nothing they can do to fix it other than posting the correct info at their website.
---
The DEATH cannot die!
#19kingwutuguPosted 3/27/2013 9:03:07 PM
ever thought the guide is free, isn't this bioshock mainly multiplayer with like a 5 hr story? the guide is probably 10 pages thick.
---
There is no I in team, But there is an I in Win
#20Xx_King_Beef_xXPosted 3/27/2013 9:15:02 PM
Flamechamp2333 posted...

I would never buy one for a game like Bioshock, but there are some that are totally worth it like the guide for Skyrim.
---
I have to return some videotapes.