This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Darksiders II

#1Dyno_StormPosted 3/27/2013 6:34:25 PM
Bought a new copy from Amazon for $23. Judging from what I read on the boards is it really okay to jump into the series with the sequel (and possibly the last entrie)? If the first game is referenced a lot then that will take away from the experience for me. For those who've played Darksiders (1 and/or 2), what are the pros and cons; is there something that sets it apart from other RPGs?
---
GT: DynoStorm
#2Dyno_Storm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 6:36:27 PM
*entry
---
#3SunDevil77Posted 3/27/2013 7:24:34 PM
It does a "previously on Darksiders" in the beginning, and that's pretty much all you need to know about DS1...
As for pros and cons...
Things I liked:
The combat is fun. Very fun.
Creative Puzzles.
Good combination of magic/melee.
Lots o' loot!
Interesting world/environments/dungeons
Badass protagonist

Cons:
Not nearly as deep as a lot of RPG fans would like
Story isn't the strong point
Characters aren't super interesting
---
I hate listening to dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of pictures. If I'm not in any of them, and nobody's having sex, I just...don't care
#4RebellianPosted 3/27/2013 7:42:52 PM
There should be a recap of the first game during the Intro. All you really need to know about the first game Is that War accidentally started the Apocalypse on Earth prematurely, which happens In the first 10 or 20 minutes of the game, and Death goes out to proves his Innocence believing War has been framed. Someone please correct me If I'm wrong, but I think Darksiders 1 and 2 both end at the same time.

There might be one or two references to the first game, but you should be okay for the most part. Although I dont remember If Darksiders 2 shows or said anything about what actually started the Apocalypse.

The only other thing I can think of that you'll miss out on from not playing DS1 Is a bonus weapon and armor for beating that game. The armor (which Is a shoulder piece) Isnt too great IIRC and the weapon Is pretty decent for awhile. I still wouldnt fret over missing these, as they're level 5 equipment and you'll get them replaced anyway.

Oh and In case you might be worried about glitches, I last played both DS1 and 2 last November pretty much bug free. About the worst thing I ran Into was the game freezing during the Arbiter's Maze once or twice, so It does seem like the game ending bugs have been Ironed out. Either that or I was just lucky and didnt trigger one.

I hope that cleared up a few things and help you out In some way. The Darksiders series Is pretty good and It Is a shame no one bought Vigil Games as I really want to see what happens In Darksiders 3. Platinum Games might save Darksiders 3 but that's just wishful thinking.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 4685 - 6273 -6874
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvhuszfLpT1qauec3o1_250.gif
#5Perfect LightPosted 3/27/2013 7:52:07 PM
I played Darksiders 2 on the Xbox 360 and I had multiple glitches. With the game installed, it froze three times and I had a boss freeze in place at the time of death. However, the actual game mechanics were solid and apart from the technical issues I had a lot of fun with the game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#6Carribean_CoolPosted 3/27/2013 8:37:11 PM
It's a good game. It sucks that we'll most likely not get a sequel. If you played the 1st game, you will be disappointed with the ending, and the final boss in Darksiders II is such a let down. I was left saying "That's it?" And the ending, "WTF just happened?"

It helps to understand the references pertaining to the first game. You should play the first game though, it's also fun. I felt the boss battles were better too.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#7Dyno_Storm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 9:57:31 AM
I'm currently looking for The Fire of the Mountain and I have to say that this is such a fun game. I love the environment and dungeon-like elements. The puzzles are good and so is the combat. It's so fluid mixing scythe attacks with a secondary weapon such as an axe, gauntlets, maces, etc.

Death is definitely a badass. His voice fits him just fine and I like how he calls certain NPCs, "old one". The way he talks makes him look calm and wise as well. Despair's awesome too and hopefully you can unlock more ways to attack than just pressing X for a horizontal scythe swipe or RB to boost through an enemy and tear 'em apart. The combat reminds me of God of War/Devil May Cry in a way. Good hack-n-slash fun.

I didn't have trouble getting into the story. Death wants to prove that War is innocent for the crime he's been accused of.

The loot system and skill tree is reminds me of Zelda and Borderlands. Right now I have tons of maces and stuff in my inventory. Should I keep them or sell to Vulgrim (demon merchant)?

Oh yeah. I used the Crucible Pass that came with the game. That gives me access to the Crow Armor, right? In the Forge Lands there's a Serpent Tome and in there was a message from THQ gifting me this armor. I also got an email (IRL) that I get the exclusive weapon Van der Schmash but I can't redeem it. Is the Darksiders site shut down?

Overall I'm really enjoying the game and I will go back and play the first one; I can see why many really want a third one to be made.
---
#8Dyno_Storm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 10:03:19 AM
Check this out: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-28-crytek-confirms-it-will-bid-on-darksiders-ip-at-auction
---
#9Tech9Posted 3/29/2013 1:26:37 PM
$15 at Best Buy right now.