This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the point of DLC that comes out on the same day that a game is released?

#1SolnotPosted 3/30/2013 2:19:30 AM
Why couldn't the developers just include the extra content on the disc itself when they were first creating the game?
#2Dead4LivePosted 3/30/2013 2:24:13 AM
s$$$
#3Super CreaturesPosted 3/30/2013 2:29:44 AM
How do you know the DLC was ready when the game went gold?

Shouldn't they get paid extra for extra work?

Wouldn't you feel like you just got bent over and ****ed if you had to work a 12 hour shift, and they told you that a. you were only getting paid for 8 hours like you normally do, and b. you are only going to get paid what you normally would for an 8 hour shift?

So, why should you get extra pay for extra work, but they don't?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#4_LordAndSaviorPosted 3/30/2013 2:39:14 AM
^Lol at the corporate patsy.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#5vigorm0rtisPosted 3/30/2013 2:42:06 AM
_LordAndSavior posted...
^Lol at the corporate patsy.

He's right, though. Most day one DLC is produced after the normal dev cycle. They keep designers, coders, everybody on at additional expense to make it. Most of the main dev crew takes off for white sands, but some people get paid to stick around and grind out some more content.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#6SomnambulisticPosted 3/30/2013 2:44:30 AM(edited)
Why couldn't the developers just include the extra content on the disc itself when they were first creating the game?

Because most games are complete and done anywhere from 1-3 months before their release date. Anything worked on past a certain point has to be released as DLC/expansions unless they want to delay the production of the discs and ultimately delay the release in general just so they can get that extra stuff into the main game. Also has a lot to do with DLC/expansion teams often being separate or at least a bit different from the main game teams.

tl;dr - Time constraints, deadlines, work allocation, etc.
---
[ Days Gone Bye ]
#7Super CreaturesPosted 3/30/2013 2:51:47 AM
Why couldn't Microsoft just include all their games with the purchase of the console?

**** their profit, I just want my games, for free, because I'm a whiny little **** that thinks I should get everything for free because I was born with a platinum spoon in my mouth, and have always gotten everything on a rhodium platter.

Now, on your hands and knees so I can use you for a chair.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#8vigorm0rtisPosted 3/30/2013 2:53:58 AM
Temper, Super.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#9clippjoint2Posted 3/30/2013 3:25:40 AM
day 1 dlc are usually content taken out from main game, i hate it.
---
*** L.A. KINGS 2012 Stanley Cup Champs ***
#10SparkItUpPosted 3/30/2013 4:27:34 AM
Super Creatures posted...
Why couldn't Microsoft just include all their games with the purchase of the console?

**** their profit, I just want my games, for free, because I'm a whiny little **** that thinks I should get everything for free because I was born with a platinum spoon in my mouth, and have always gotten everything on a rhodium platter.

Now, on your hands and knees so I can use you for a chair.

terrible analogy
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation