This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games where the story

#1Matt_Man_2004Posted 3/30/2013 9:10:08 AM
Is better because it's the story for a game rather than for a movie or book etc.

For me

Star Wars KoToR: The big reveal where the player character turned out to be Darth Revan was way more effective for me because I was Darth Revan. I don't think the same twist would have been as good in a film

Spec Ops: The Line: Again I think it's way more effective that I was the one who killed the civilians. On top of that the way that the story overturns our expectations for the genre, the various subtle gameplay touches to show the main character is going mad (like his more brutal melee kills towards the end). I just can't see that same story having the same impact in another medium.

They're the big ones for me. Anybody got any others?
#2TheBlueStigPosted 3/30/2013 9:21:06 AM
If you think those are somehow "original" story ideas, go read some Stephen King books or other horror books, they've been using that idea for years.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#3ponyseizuresPosted 3/30/2013 9:30:46 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4rttnPosted 3/30/2013 9:32:21 AM
Bastion. The gameplay is great but it's the story and the world that is amazing
---
GT: rttnCRAFT
I want Skate 4 NOW!!
#5Matt_Man_2004(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 10:27:17 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
If you think those are somehow "original" story ideas, go read some Stephen King books or other horror books, they've been using that idea for years.

Not original, just that they were particularly effective in games because of the fact we were controlling rather than observing the character that this happened to.
#6dannyaqPosted 3/30/2013 10:43:52 AM
I'd say most stories in games are better because they are for games. They are made specifically to be games and not 2 hour movies. zeldas are better. I mean how many treasure hunt movies have like 15 treasures that have to be hunted down? pretty much any fighting game. it's better to have every fighter with their own ending instead of trying to creft one story. I mean clure tried to do the every character gets and ending sort of thing, but that felt way too clunky. It just doesn't work in movies.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't