This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Know what sucks about being an older gamer?

#81VeliconisPosted 4/1/2013 3:25:37 PM
I remember how I used to be able to grind out games like no tomorrow even though I had a job, a kid and a wife.

Now, I've got a job, three kids and my wife. Does this limit how much time I can dedicate to gaming? Not really. But I have such a hard time picking a game that I want to play.

I'm just as big of a gamer as I was when I was a teenager, but I just get bored faster sometimes, it seems. It's nothing to do with having AD(H)D or anything, 'cause I don't have that. It's just a lot of the same types of games from before that held my interest no longer do.

I used to play the living CRAP out of Gran Turismo 2 and 3. I picked up Gran Turismo 5 about a year ago and couldn't get into it at all. It was just -so- boring to me. I was like, "This is basically the same as 2 and 3, yet I'm getting bored as ****. What the hell?"

I used to be able to play the same game 100 times over and beat it and turn around to do it again. Now? Achievements and trophies have kinda ruined that for me unless it's a fighting game I really like to play (Mortal Kombat and SSF4AE), a hack-n-slash (Bayonetta, DMC, DmC, etc.), or an RPG that I really enjoy.

As much as I love trophies/achievements, I hate them at the same time because I'm all OCD about them and crap. I have to get them all and once I do, I'm like, "Meh. No point in playing this game anymore since I've done everything." I really hate that, y'know? Back before trophies/achievements came out, holy crap would I ever play the same game repeatedly.

I don't know how many hours I put into DMC 1, 2 and 3 on the PS2. The amount of time I put into Ocarina of Time was simply ludicrous.

I really don't feel like I'm losing interest in gaming as a whole 'cause I still get mad hype for new games that I really want to play. I just think that certain games obviously don't hold my interest anymore all that great and trophies/achievements have kind of ruined replayability to me to a degree.

To sum it up: I just want to be able to play games to simply enjoy them again, not enjoy certain games up until I get all the trophies/achievements and then move on to the next.
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, their = belonging to them, they're = they are, there = not here.
#82En Sabah NurPosted 4/1/2013 3:51:09 PM
I feel you, TC.

I probably have like 200 360 games and 30+ PS3 games, not to mention a metric ton of downloadable games and PC games. I couldn't finish them all if I wanted to (but don't get me wrong, I have played and even completed a significant amount of them, it's just an uphill battle).

Now that damn next gen is looming over us.
---
INJUSTICE wishlist: Martian Manhunter, Mr. Miracle, Barda, Darkseid, Swamp Thing, Red Tornado, Blue Beetle, Lobo, Black Manta, Dr. Fate, Clayface
#83Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 5:17:30 PM
I used to play the living CRAP out of Gran Turismo 2 and 3. I picked up Gran Turismo 5 about a year ago and couldn't get into it at all. It was just -so- boring to me. I was like, "This is basically the same as 2 and 3, yet I'm getting bored as ****. What the hell?"

Did the same kinda thing with Dead or Alive 5 lately.

As much as I love trophies/achievements, I hate them at the same time because I'm all OCD about them and crap. I have to get them all and once I do, I'm like, "Meh. No point in playing this game anymore since I've done everything." I really hate that, y'know? Back before trophies/achievements came out, holy crap would I ever play the same game repeatedly.

And worse off...I've sometimes felt less inclined to play something on the Wii or PSP for example because they don't have achievements. I mean...why do I even give a damn?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#84GuideToTheDarkPosted 4/1/2013 5:24:52 PM
Yep, more money than time. I have a ton of games I've yet to finish.

This.

The pain, I feel it.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#85VeliconisPosted 4/1/2013 6:17:34 PM

Did the same kinda thing with Dead or Alive 5 lately.

And worse off...I've sometimes felt less inclined to play something on the Wii or PSP for example because they don't have achievements. I mean...why do I even give a damn?

Bold = EXACTLY. There are a very, very select few games that I can play that don't have achievements/trophies and still enjoy them. But as of late, I'm just like, "...no achievements or anything? Nah."

I god damn hate it.
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, their = belonging to them, they're = they are, there = not here.
#86JKSonicPosted 4/1/2013 6:34:22 PM(edited)
Married, two kids (2 and 3) and a third on the way in may. Plus I've gotten into photography in the last year and a half and now do it part-time professionally and still do portfolio building shoots as well.

It's not so much that I can't find time, it's that when I do I'm so spent I barely feel like playing. So many times I've sat down to play only to browse my games and the dashboard for 30min before shutting it off and turning on some crap on the TV or Netflix. Even when I love a game I'm playing (like Bioshock I now) I still find it hard to play sometimes. I'll reach a new area and instead of being excited before I'll be like "damn, I need to explore ALL that?!?" and just shut it off haha.

Money is a bit of an issue too but with all of Best Buy's deals lately I make out pretty well. Time and strength are much bigger issues to me.
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#87IChangedMyNamePosted 4/1/2013 6:41:43 PM
I liked not having money to buy games. I appreciated games more and for a longer extended period since I wasn't able to sell them and knew I'd not get another one again for a while.

Now, I view almost every game as uninspired and easily replaceable.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#88Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 7:22:59 PM
I liked not having money to buy games. I appreciated games more and for a longer extended period since I wasn't able to sell them and knew I'd not get another one again for a while.

Now, I view almost every game as uninspired and easily replaceable.

Wow...summed up my long-winded initial post in just a few lines.

I'll reach a new area and instead of being excited before I'll be like "damn, I need to explore ALL that?!?" and just shut it off haha.

I'd advise against playing Xenoblade then XD
I used to feel that, but instead I'd think "Welp, better get to it!"
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#89spacejamjordanzPosted 4/1/2013 7:28:09 PM
Funny how that happenes huh?

Younger = You had less or no money. You also had less games. You had more time to play, and you played those few games to death.

Older = You have more money. You have more games. Less time to play, so you have a huge backlog.
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II>
#90The Top CrusaderPosted 4/1/2013 7:36:25 PM
spacejamjordanz posted...
Funny how that happenes huh?

Younger = You had less or no money. You also had less games. You had more time to play, and you played those few games to death.

Older = You have more money. You have more games. Less time to play, so you have a huge backlog.

That sums it up easily enough. My parents bought me and my brother an NES when I was 6, and over the next few years got us a few games, but not a ton... so those few games we had we played to death. I got a part time job as soon as I was 16 so I could afford to pick up a few games and got an SNES and Playstation but still, part time minimum wage only gets you so far so I still played basically everything I got quite a bit.

But now... I can't resist a good deal on a game that looks fun, but I have tons I've never played at all or only once for a few minutes or something. I'm not rich but I have enough money that I can get any game I want if I really want to, but... so little spare time. I work a lot and when I'm not working there is stuff to do around the house and I try not to annoy my wife by gaming constantly. Plus the older I get the more I would kind of rather just relax and watch TV than play a video game.
---
----
-----