This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you could replay three games again as if it were the first time....

#291mooreandrew58Posted 4/1/2013 10:51:40 PM
JKSonic posted...
Same answer I always give...and these topics pop up waaaay too much.

- NONE and IMO people are fools for saying anything else for anything but fairly newer games. I guarantee most of the games (if wiped from memory) would be ruined if you played again now for the first time. Graphics, controls, everything has come a long way and when we go back and play older games a huge chunk of enjoying them is nostalgia. You might think you're a "real" gamer and aren't affected by nostalgia but I think you're fooling yourself.

I wen't back and played the first two zelda games after I already owned a xbox 360 still ended up enjoying both games and I had never played them before as a child growing up. my first zelda was OoT. oh and same for all 2d FF games. had to go back and play all of them after 3d games had long been around. and I almost forgot about megaman. just played the first 6 for the first time just a few months ago. my mom picked out my video games till I got OoT and all she ever got me was mario and sonic games mostly....
(now my list is all 3d games, I was just making a point, I can enjoy a much much older game without having to have nostalgia)

as for my list
1. any elder scrolls games, the quests and exploring the map always seem more epic to me the first time I do it

2. legend of zelda ocarina of time, I know the game pretty much like the back of my hand now so its in no way a challenge anymore. guess I could try to find a copy of masters quest though. (I ended up doing a no shield run just to make it more challenging... only shield for absolutely necessary parts, then i'd go hunt a like like and let it eat my shield)

3. lost odyssey just for the story and kain's lost memories. rare game that actually got me emotional on a regular basis.
#292AtalalamaPosted 4/1/2013 10:54:20 PM
Chrono Trigger. There was VERY little about that game that didn't awe me when I first played it years ago. The sudden disappearance of Marle, the first time jump, the Dragon Tank battle, the "Battle on the Big Bridge"...I could go on for pages on how epic this game was the first time I played it. Then I played it again...and got a totally different ending by battling Lavos earlier. WOAH. The SNES version? I replayed the same New Game + file so many times that I wound-up MAXING all my character stats...without grinding for Tabs. And you know something? I STILL play it. The DS re-release/expansion ROCKS. Got the PS1 version, too.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant. This game was so full of F.T.W. multiplied by W.T.F. that it asploded my mind on multiple occasions. God-Slayer? Check. Cool Beauty who has really odd choice in clothing who's just as awesome/has blue panties? Check. Gay wrestler/vampire whose culmination of awesome is The Man Festival - featuring an honest-to-God real historical person? Check. Bleepin' Geppetto? CHECK. A wolf whose moment of awesome BEGINS by imitating Solid Snake (including standing on his hind legs to hide around corners)? Check. A Samurai cousin whose hot-as-Hell mother (mains' aunt) has an apparent incest fetish for her son (and it's awesome)? So much more good stuff, I wish I could see it for the first time again.

Tie: The Legend of Zelda. This game kicked my butt as a kid. Where do I go? What do I do? I didn't know, but I didn't care. The game was awesome. I could go just about anywhere and explore just about everything. I must have bombed every single wall there was in the game just to see if there was a cave, burned every tree to see if there was a staircase, and eventually pushed against every wall to see if there was an invisible path. Playing the game was like when I was back in 1st grade, playing in the woods behind my house with my friends, exploring as though we were the first people to ever step foot in the creepy cemetery, traveled the (well worn) game trails, and play sword fight with our wooden swords. I finally beat the game after several months...and discovered a second quest that made me weep in frustration. It wasn't until YEARS later, with the receipt of the NES Game Atlas (by Nintendo Power) that I could finish it...I just couldn't find all the dungeons!

Tie: Crystalis. Anyone remember this gem? To me when I was young, it was like The Legend of Zelda on crack. Beautiful graphics. Catchy musical score. Actual plots and sub-plots. Completely varied (and often confusing) landscapes. Bosses who TAUNTED me. Powered-up elemental swords. Puzzles (well, early puzzles...but still). Sure, the game was fairly linear, but the pace of the game made sense. While my classmates were going gaga over Dragon Warrior they got with their NP subscription, I was rockin' it hardcore with this title. Strangely, I attended a school system where games were not considered dorky. I didn't figure that out until I graduated, though. All those years thinking I was a freak/dork/nerd when in fact I was normal...so much potential wasted.

Honorable mentions:

Secret of Mana
Super Mario Bros (1, 2, 3)
Star Tropics I & II
Mega Man 2

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Xenogears
Valis 1-4
3 Sisters Story
(Yes, I admit this)
Dragon Quest VIII (Special note: The first moment I started this game, I wasn't overly impressed - 'Oooo...nice cut scen...wait...am I....oh my God I AM! I'm playing an Akira Toriyama CARTOON!!!' And it went straight to awesome from there.)
Xenoblade
Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2
(...not so much Covenant of the Plume)

Hmm...odd...why aren't there any PS3/360 games on my list?
#293the_lokstirPosted 4/1/2013 10:54:52 PM
portal 2
metal gear solid 3
halo 3 multiplayer
#294EvilTygerPosted 4/1/2013 11:00:55 PM
1) Soudeki (XB)
2) Primal (PS2)
3) Metroid: Fusion (GBA)

The first two could have been developed into franchises to rival Zelda, with world exploration and character building. Fusion was handneld, excellent addition to the Metroid franchise.

Unfortunately, unlike KotoR or Mass Effect or some other games, once the story finished and the puzzles were solved, replayability took a nosedive.
#295MortimerBrewstrPosted 4/1/2013 11:02:04 PM
Final Fantasy VI
Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
Borderlands 2 with my Brother.

Maybe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time instead of one of those.
---
When your reputation is ruined you can live quite freely.
Low Price Revolution
#296iTossSaladsPosted 4/1/2013 11:08:55 PM
Angry Bird
Silent Hill Homecoming
Britney's Dance Beat
#297rx54Posted 4/1/2013 11:32:29 PM(edited)
Burnout Paradise
Fallout 3
GTA 4

It's unfortunate that there hasn't been a decent online open world racer since Paradise/Midnight Club LA

The new NFS Most Wanted was trash, Forza Horizon can be fully beaten in like 5 hours...
I had millions of dollars and numerous supercars in that short amount of time, I didn't even use a guide it was so short, easy, and boring.
Test Drive Unlimited 2 was also a massive failure.

Where the **** is a new Midnight Club?
It's an open world online racer, and Rockstar ALWAYS delivers.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes
^ Drugs.
#298biggamerben86Posted 4/1/2013 11:33:27 PM
Castlevania symphony of night
Legend of zelda links awakening
Fallout 3
---
PSN - Biggamer86, Xboxlive - Biggamer86, League - Biggamer86, D3 - Biggamer86#1898
#299videogameking33Posted 4/1/2013 11:42:56 PM
Jak & Daxter
Burnout 3: Takedown
Driver 2
---
Currently Playiing: Tomb Raider (360), Sly Cooper: TiT (PS3), ZombiU (Wii U)
Diehard Buffalo Bills & Sabres Fan!!...XBL GamerTag & PSN: buffalo29
#300Grave2kPosted 4/1/2013 11:45:21 PM
1. RDR plus Undead Nightmare
2.Dragon's Dogma
3.Skyrim
bonus: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed