This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just don't get the appeal in Dark Souls at all.

#1JigglybuffPosted 4/2/2013 9:08:04 AM
I rebted it for a week over a year ago and didn't get very far. I think only a little bit after you beat the second boss (before you cross the bridge gaurded by a dragon) and returned it for several reasons.
The biggest reason I returned it was because I simply wasn't having fun. I just didn't like how much grinding it requiered to actually move. And having to repeat the same sections of undead burg over and over again was just lame. I hated spending 10 minutes slowly creeping from that campfire to the area you fight the tower boss (2nd boss I think) it just got boring and tiresome. And I really didn't understand the appeal in the combat. 90% of what I was doing were parrying, 5% rolling, 5% doing forward power attacks.

Recently I got an urge to play it again and actually bought it. Ayed it 3 days straight, but had to force myself tonplay it. As I was just mindnumbingly bored.

I see why its beloved. But I can't grasp how. To me its just....boring. I'm not saying its boring because I'm amazing at it, trust me I'm a horrid player at it, but its just so damn repetitive and just...I don't know.

In m opinion its a great game and I can see that. But I happen to also think its the greatest ovverpraised game out there
---
IRON. CLAD. CONTRACT.
#2The_Dark_Slay3rPosted 4/2/2013 9:10:06 AM
Too bad.
#3RPG_ApostlePosted 4/2/2013 9:10:39 AM
I get the appeal, but it's not for me.

What I really don't get is the dumbasses that think it's the greatest thing since oxygen.
---
Then mark him if he violates the rules and shut up. Baseman, GameFAQs Moderator
#4GuideToTheDarkPosted 4/2/2013 9:13:50 AM
You don't need fancy mechanics for a good challenge. Just look at ol' Megaman.

This being said, never ever try Monster Hunter if you find this boring.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#5Jigglybuff(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 9:14:03 AM
RPG_Apostle posted...
I get the appeal, but it's not for me.

What I really don't get is the dumbasses that think it's the greatest thing since oxygen.

I agree on the second part. I ser the appeal in it, but I csnt grasp it for myself.
But honestly I think the dark souls fanbase is quickly becoming one of the most annoying ones out there. Only mgs and ff are more annoying.

Great games but their fanbases are just annoying
---
IRON. CLAD. CONTRACT.
#6DividerByZeroPosted 4/2/2013 9:15:33 AM
What, no hate for Zelda's fanbase?
---
http://www.dividerscorner.blogspot.com/ - Newest Review: Defiance Beta
GT: TG Divider | NP: Mass Effect 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Defiance Beta
#7Res5Posted 4/2/2013 9:15:52 AM
As with any other RPG if you have to grind or take it slow that just means you suck at the game.

I suck at the Souls series because I die constantly but I still like to play it. The level and enemy designs are amazing and most bosses have a trick to them that make them incredibly easy or you can take the "Block and wait for an opportunity" route with most of them if you aren't willing to try to find that special tactic because they are pretty dangerous at times. Taurus Demon can be jump slashed like the Asylum Demon. Capra Demon as well.

Though I agree about redoing areas. I have never ever liked repeating something more than a few times unless I think I could do it with just a little more skill. In the Souls series' case I don't usually think that. I'm now at the point that I don't think I'll ever get farther where I am so I'll probably put the game down and never go back except on rare occasion.

Tales of Vesperia is treating me nicely so I'll stick with that...... :P
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#8shawnmckPosted 4/2/2013 9:17:57 AM
Sounds to me you'd be more happy playing games where you can fight mobs of enemies at the same time and just button mash your way to victory.
It's no wonder why you didn't like DS.

Also, people who suck at it tend to hate it.
Those that continue & persevere end up discovering that they love it, and that it just has a steep learning curve.

But it's not for everyone.
Again, people who prefer button mashers and who prefer to face like a dozen enemies at once tend to hate it.
It's NOT the game's fault, as it was made that way on purpose.
It just caters to a different type of gamer.
#9campbloodPosted 4/2/2013 9:18:20 AM
One of my favorite games is Demon's Souls...One of my worst games is Dark Souls...Go figure...
#10sonicteam2k1Posted 4/2/2013 9:18:41 AM
I don't either. i had a buddy who tried his hardest to get me in on it and I just refuse. it's not a game for me. Not to say it's a bad game because I have no idea, but I know it's not my cup of coffee.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own