This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone know if gamefly is truly worth it?

#1ZDT_LeaderPosted 4/2/2013 4:13:32 PM
There are some games that I've REALLY been wanting to play but don't want to possibly spend the money on it..

The first month on Gamefly is rather cheap but after that goes up in price quite a bit.

I only have a 360 so.. yeah.

I can make a pretty big list of games I want to rent.. But, what do you guys think of it honestly?
---
Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007
#2RycerXPosted 4/2/2013 4:14:32 PM
Yes, it's well worth it if you have a ton of games you want to play, I used them for three years. Go with the 2-game plan, it's the most cost efficient.
#3ZDT_Leader(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 4:15:29 PM
RycerX posted...
Yes, it's well worth it if you have a ton of games you want to play, I used them for three years. Go with the 2-game plan, it's the most cost efficient.

But 22.95 a month is kinda hefty in my opinion.

How long does it usually take to get the game.. And how long do you wait to get the next one?
---
#4Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/2/2013 4:21:25 PM(edited)
I used it for about 6 months when I got my ps3, almost exclusively with games in the "takes 5-8 hours to beat, I want to play this but am not paying $60" category. I felt it was a very good deal, since for $15 a month I usually got through 4-6 games. I didn't use it for stuff like skyrim, rpgs, or anything I planned to play for over 15 hours. I used the 1-game out plan because shipping was super fast and I only play one game at a time. I basically only stopped because digital downloads/steam started being even more cost efficient for me.

I have nothing bad to say about the service, it was great, the "keep it" prices are some of the bets around, you get $5 credit every few months, and I got to blaze through stuff I didn't really want to buy, like uncharted and killzone.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#5ZDT_Leader(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 4:21:19 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
I used it for about 6 months, almost exclusively with games in the "takes 5-8 hours to beat, I want to play this but am not paying $60" category. I felt it was a very good deal, since for $15 a month I usually got through 4-6 games. I didn't use it for stuff like skyrim, rpgs, or anything I planned to play for over 15 hours. I used the 1-game out plan because shipping was super fast and I only play one game at a time. I basically only stopped because digital downloads/steam started being even more cost efficient for me.

Well I don't think I'll be using the free PC games at all. But for games like UMvC and MGR, possibly BLOPS II.

and other games I may have missed out over the years.
---
#6RycerXPosted 4/2/2013 4:24:56 PM
It depends on where you live, but Gamefly is spread out pretty far across the US at this point, it shouldn't take longer than two business days for a game to reach you. The good thing about two games is you always have something to play while one is moving in the mail.

If your post office supports Gamefly's fast return program, they'll scan your package before it goes out, and that lets Gamefly know they can send your next game early. My turnaround time was very fast, I never waited longer than 48 hours for my next game.

It's cheaper than Blockbuster was, something like five bucks for five days. This is about seven bucks less by the month.
#7ZDT_Leader(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 4:29:16 PM
RycerX posted...
It depends on where you live, but Gamefly is spread out pretty far across the US at this point, it shouldn't take longer than two business days for a game to reach you. The good thing about two games is you always have something to play while one is moving in the mail.

If your post office supports Gamefly's fast return program, they'll scan your package before it goes out, and that lets Gamefly know they can send your next game early. My turnaround time was very fast, I never waited longer than 48 hours for my next game.

It's cheaper than Blockbuster was, something like five bucks for five days. This is about seven bucks less by the month.

Hmm, Sounds good. but I still don't know. I may be getting a full time job soon and I'm also a full-time student. But I will never quit gaming.

Gamefly sounds good but I don't know if I can fully utilize it.
---
#8Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/2/2013 4:33:59 PM(edited)
Yeah, my PO supported the scan thing, so they usually shipped it out right after I returned it. It was fantastic. One reason I didn't do the two games out deal was I always felt "pressured" to play games quickly, and I hated having an unplayed game sitting around. But that's more of a personal hangup and doubt it applies to most people. I usually played PC stuff while I waited for the game to ship out, but it was always lightning fast. My rule of thumb was basically, "rent quick games, buy long ones." thats how to get the best value out of GF.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#9RycerXPosted 4/2/2013 4:34:37 PM
The first month should give you a pretty good idea of how quick your turnarounds will be. They do sort of give special treatment to new subscribers, so you'll more than likely get everything you ask for, even if it's a very popular title with low availability. But the shipping time at least will be an accurate reflection of what you can expect if you stay subscribed.

The best way to get the games you want is only put two or three in your queue. Once you've been subscribed for a couple of months, if you cram it full of 10 games or more, they'll usually give you the ones with highest availability even if they're at the bottom of your list.
#10ZDT_Leader(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 4:37:47 PM
RycerX posted...
The first month should give you a pretty good idea of how quick your turnarounds will be. They do sort of give special treatment to new subscribers, so you'll more than likely get everything you ask for, even if it's a very popular title with low availability. But the shipping time at least will be an accurate reflection of what you can expect if you stay subscribed.

The best way to get the games you want is only put two or three in your queue. Once you've been subscribed for a couple of months, if you cram it full of 10 games or more, they'll usually give you the ones with highest availability even if they're at the bottom of your list.

Is there an option for extended trial? I remember it saying you enter a code. But I only see the 10 day one.

And that sounds kinda odd with the list and availability thing.
---