This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Disney kills Lucas Arts and cans all projects

#91P00DGEPosted 4/3/2013 8:18:34 PM
Yeah, Disney knows what they are doing. I will not shed a single tear for a studio that hasn't made a decent game in 10 years. And Marvel is doing great under Disney as well. In fact, almost all of Disney's owned properties do very well. Disney treats their licensed properties very well for the most part, and it is apparently a great place to work as well.
#92flagg2kplusPosted 4/3/2013 9:16:31 PM
lol at all the people who dont realize this is a GREAT thing.

LucasArts hasnt made a good game in years.

The best Star Wars games were not even made by LucasArts(KOTOR/Battlefront).

With Disney simply licensing games, well get tons more Star Wars games from ALL the big developers.

Well see Star Wars RPGs. Well see action games. Well see FPS games. 1313 WILL still be released.

Think about it.

Disney likes money, and they figure the best way to make with regards to games is to simply have developers and publishers pay them licensing rights.

Now Disney gets a cut out of any Star Wars game without paying a dime.
---
Don't take life too seriously. You'll never make it out alive.
#93OrgeLambartPosted 4/3/2013 10:19:24 PM(edited)
Anema1986 posted...
lol disney

what did you expect, when in the show business they just produce chit and now they plan to ruin completely the lucas saga with an unnecesary episode VII

you mean like Lucas himself did with the Prequels...

Or did you buy his story about the movies always being about Darth Vader... Also why would you bank roll your own Star Wars games, when you can lease out the license to people and have them make the games for you? You'll get creative control over the story content, and be able to drive the direction you want in the game..... All the while using no cash and in fact getting paid.

Great business decision and I think it'll ultimately lead to us getting much better Star Wars games.
#94Halo_ForeverPosted 4/3/2013 10:47:51 PM(edited)
CyricsServant posted...
shawnmck posted...
Merc123 posted...
I can't believe all these people saying screw Disney for shutting down a crap studio that had not made anything good in years.

Also Disney never really wanted Lucasarts, they just got it in the deal with Lucasfilm which is what they wanted. I am sure Disney can do better Star Wars games than what Lucasarts was doing recently.

^ You're not paying attention...
Disney is NOT going to be making any games based on the Star Wars franchise anymore. They've cancelled all games.
There will be no Star Wars games now, or in the near future.
None, Zip, Zero, Nada !

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games"

About the broader portfolio, hadn't they stated the wanted to bring Star Wars mainly to mobile and social media platform. While that may be a broader portfolio the quality of those is questionable...
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#95WinternovaPosted 4/3/2013 11:10:48 PM
CyricsServant posted...
shawnmck posted...
Merc123 posted...
I can't believe all these people saying screw Disney for shutting down a crap studio that had not made anything good in years.

Also Disney never really wanted Lucasarts, they just got it in the deal with Lucasfilm which is what they wanted. I am sure Disney can do better Star Wars games than what Lucasarts was doing recently.

^ You're not paying attention...
Disney is NOT going to be making any games based on the Star Wars franchise anymore. They've cancelled all games.
There will be no Star Wars games now, or in the near future.
None, Zip, Zero, Nada !

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games"

shawn's never met a fact he won't ignore for the sake of one of his rants.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#96NemerlightPosted 4/4/2013 3:05:10 AM
Sucks for all those people losing their jobs but honestly they havent made anything good in years so its no surprise.
---
Chivarly: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#97Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/4/2013 6:27:44 AM
I never did forgive Lucasarts for what they did to KOTOR2 and Obsidian Entertainment.
#98JManGTPosted 4/4/2013 6:32:37 AM
This is what Lucas Arts gets for being sell outs and not having any integrity.
---
Sebastian Loeb
Undefeated World Champion 2004-2012 (WRC Retired)
#99Carribean_CoolPosted 4/4/2013 7:25:09 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
I never did forgive Lucasarts for what they did to KOTOR2 and Obsidian Entertainment.

Yeah, and it's not fair that Obsidian takes the fall either :( And it really sucks KOTOR 3 was cancelled in favor of an MMO that no one wanted

Anyways, there hasn't been one great Star Wars game this gen. All the great Star Wars games were last gen and the gen before.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#100Perfect LightPosted 4/4/2013 8:09:20 AM(edited)
Who cares? When was the last time they developed anything good? Obviously I don't like to hear about people losing their jobs, as my wife went through the same thing last year, but as for the company I will not shed a single tear. When you don't make anything good, you get shut down. That's how business works.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds