This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any examples of games that...

#1Solid SonicPosted 4/4/2013 7:03:46 AM
...had really underwhelming demos but you believe aren't representative of the whole game because of it?
---
Every post I make is with integrity and sincerity. I'm pretty sure you're the troll, not me.
#2Res5Posted 4/4/2013 7:10:31 AM
I'd say most demos are underwhelming compared to the game but at least they are representative of the game. Then there's demos like the Brutal Legend demo that totally misinterpret what type of game it is or the Ni No Kuni demo that had people turn away because they didn't tell you how to play and made people think the game is harder than it actually is.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#3AWarAmp84Posted 4/4/2013 7:11:18 AM
IMO not really. While I am aware that many demos aren't a 100% representation of the full game, the core gameplay is usually complete and that is more than enough to base my opinion on. In short, a bad demo usually means a bad full game.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
#4SheepinatorPosted 4/4/2013 7:13:55 AM
Dead Space 1's combat demo was awful. They put you in a small room swarming with bad guys when you're just trying to work out the controls, ostensibly to let you show how to slice and dice the enemies, but it ended up being more stressful than fun.

While we're griping, I hate the way devs put up a screen showing you the controls, then just as you're attempting to remember the 19 different controls, it finishes loading and the screen disappears. Ummm, how about press A to continue, guys? It's like they totally forget that just because they've all been playing it for the last year, everyone else somehow magically knows what all the controls are.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#5Res5Posted 4/4/2013 7:17:15 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Dead Space 1's combat demo was awful. They put you in a small room swarming with bad guys when you're just trying to work out the controls, ostensibly to let you show how to slice and dice the enemies, but it ended up being more stressful than fun.

While we're griping, I hate the way devs put up a screen showing you the controls, then just as you're attempting to remember the 19 different controls, it finishes loading and the screen disappears. Ummm, how about press A to continue, guys? It's like they totally forget that just because they've all been playing it for the last year, everyone else somehow magically knows what all the controls are.

This is one of the more annoying loading screens for sure. At least most of the time you can go into the pause menu to figure it out or they have a tutorial anyway or the game's controls are simple enough that you can figure it out quickly.
---
#6BDzaPosted 4/4/2013 7:35:45 AM
Radiant Silvergun demo is one that comes to mind. In the demo you get to play through I think level 4 or 5 from the game and that is it. The level is not a good example at all of what the rest of the game offers plus there is no explanation about the multiple weapons you can use right off the bat. The demo should at least offer a quick vid or something along those lines before the level starts of the different weapons and how to chain same colored kills to rack up points. Or a pic of the different weapons and the button that corresponds to that weapon would have been helpful.

I was turned off by the demo and couldn't understand why people called it a classic. After watching videos of it and hearing from other posters how good of a shooter it was, I picked up the game. Glad I did because the game itself is a heck of a lot more fun than the demo made it out to be...although I still suck at it -_-
---
<G>A Brother who always helps the widow's son; are you a traveling man too?<G>
Addicted to->FE: Awakening
#7Res5Posted 4/4/2013 7:37:24 AM
BDza posted...
Radiant Silvergun demo is one that comes to mind. In the demo you get to play through I think level 4 or 5 from the game and that is it. The level is not a good example at all of what the rest of the game offers plus there is no explanation about the multiple weapons you can use right off the bat. The demo should at least offer a quick vid or something along those lines before the level starts of the different weapons and how to chain same colored kills to rack up points. Or a pic of the different weapons and the button that corresponds to that weapon would have been helpful.

I was turned off by the demo and couldn't understand why people called it a classic. After watching videos of it and hearing from other posters how good of a shooter it was, I picked up the game. Glad I did because the game itself is a heck of a lot more fun than the demo made it out to be...although I still suck at it -_-

To be fair, most people suck at Bullet Hells. It's the nature of the genre to break down the player and make them want to get better. :P
---
#8glassghost0Posted 4/4/2013 7:41:25 AM
Hitman Blood Money
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428
#9BDzaPosted 4/4/2013 8:02:33 AM(edited)
Res5 posted...
To be fair, most people suck at Bullet Hells. It's the nature of the genre to break down the player and make them want to get better. :P

True indeed, but you'd think they'd have picked a better level. Why not just use level 1 or 2 since its a good introduction to the game. Seems like they wanted to turn people away from the game. But as you said, these type of games are meant to break players.
---
<G>A Brother who always helps the widow's son; are you a traveling man too?<G>
Addicted to->FE: Awakening
#10Dragon NexusPosted 4/4/2013 8:19:46 AM
I dislike demos as a rule anyway.
It's weird to think at the beginning of the gen I thought the idea of a marketplace was freakin superb, I'd loved playing the very very rare demo disks for games I never had the cash to buy and suddenly finding that nearly every game would have a demo was just mind blowing.

But after a short while I realised I don't really like demos. They're completely devoid of any context for what you're doing so I can't get invested in it, and generally it's either easy enough to be boring and unchallenging or it's straight from the finished game some hours in when the developers have expected you to have gotten used to the controls already and you just die a lot.

These days I simply don't bother and read reviews instead.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln