This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamestop price gouging

#51UltimaKeyMasterPosted 4/4/2013 1:31:42 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
MlREFOX posted...
So according to TC, the most basic principles of supply and demand equate to price gouging?

Further proof that the uneducated will whine about every last thing.

It's not supply and demand when the price goes up the day of or the day after an announcement for a sequel.

Yes it is. A sequel to a game series gets announced and gets peopled hyped, some people wanna play the older games to get the hype going, their demand heightens the price of said older installments a bit.

So yes, charging about 5-10 bucks more for Halo 3 when 4 is coming out for example makes perfect sense and if you don't see that, you're lying when you tell me you know what demand is.
---
PSN-BrandonSkyblade, Xbox Live-Red Skyblade 64
Steam-brandonskysword
#52Scoter81Posted 4/4/2013 1:41:20 PM
A sequel coming out most certainly can affect the price of other games in the series. I remember the day Black Ops 2 came out, the trade in value for Black Ops 1 dropped from around $25 or more to something like a measly $6. Hardly a coincidence.
Same happens with other games that have big online communities because GS knows a large number of people are going to move to the newest one which lowers the value of used copies of older entries of a series.

That said,

RPG_Apostle posted...
I'm so sick of topics bashing Gamestop. The topics about the ads on XBL aren't any better.

Guess what? Gamestop is not the only place to buy games.

Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

It's not a complex situation.
#53MlREFOXPosted 4/4/2013 1:43:14 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
MlREFOX posted...
So according to TC, the most basic principles of supply and demand equate to price gouging?

Further proof that the uneducated will whine about every last thing.

It's not supply and demand when the price goes up the day of or the day after an announcement for a sequel.

That is exactly supply and demand. Supply stayed constant and demand was expected to rise, so a higher price was judged viable. What, exactly, do you think supply and demand is?
#54kingwutuguPosted 4/4/2013 1:50:03 PM
kingbahamut83 posted...
Ultimate alliance gold edition is harder to find. I had it, traded it, and went to buy it again (regrettable trade), now its 30 bucks. Popularity was the reason I was given.

i got into an argument with this guy on live he tried telling me they made a gold edition for part 2, i do still have mine, $30 at toysrus on the day it came out.
---
There is no I in team, But there is an I in Win
#55Cloud75xPosted 4/4/2013 2:23:34 PM
Supply and Demand and market value play a big role in their prices.

Older games that are popular even today will keep their used price higher than others, such as annual titles in a series (like madden) or games that flopped real quick (like duke nukem), who's prices will drop by 50% 6months after release while other wont drop for another 2yrs (like any pokemon game).

Take pokemon emerald for example. Highly pirated game with bootlegs all over ebay and the only place to get a legit cart is gamestop. So if you want it, you basically have to pay full retail price in 2013 when it came out about 10yrs ago.

Sometimes prices drop on a title, then when the game becomes relevant again due to DLC or it being better then the latter title... such as the case of a forgotten series being popular again because a new entry came out and flopped so everyone are all about the previous game all of a sudden which causes a spike in sales both on online retail and for gamestop stores.

You can really get a feel for this effect when you trade in stuff... especially last yrs title cause you're buying the new '13 game, of you're trading in an old system for the new one... you end up with bottom dollar value.
---
"That which does not become part of the one, shall become one with the void."
#56onilink75Posted 4/4/2013 2:47:47 PM
GoD

Dead Space $19.99
Mass Effect $14.99

Why are you buying from gamestop. I bought these both on demand because I refused to pay the prices you brought up months ago. It's absurd on some things but honestly shop around, you owe it to yourself to find the best deal possible.
---
GT: ClamDestroyer
#57Bosoxnepats89Posted 4/4/2013 4:42:49 PM
This whole topic is a lie TC said just cause part 3 is out....I checked its not move along troll.
---
Gamertag: xBMTHxMOVEx
#58Wreck_ChordsPosted 4/4/2013 5:17:44 PM
Supply and Demand my ass. This is the man taking advantage of gamers.

lol smh
---
GamerTag: Sic DieshinZ