This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So about this 'always online' thing

#1Jason_HudsonPosted 4/6/2013 8:02:10 AM
Is it meaning you have to be online all the time, or is it just for a few minutes whilst the console checks your disc is valid?

Just out of interest. After the Adam Orth incident, I don't know if I want to give my money to a company that employs that stance towards their customers. #dealingwithit
---
"My name is Spartan Jay, the greatest Black Ops 2 player of all time. Because I am on your team, this team will win" ~ Spartan Jay
#2SunDevil77Posted 4/6/2013 8:05:43 AM
Microsoft isn't run by one person. They've gone the route the company always has, they don't speak on rumors or speculation.

It isn't confirmed.

Orthy is likely in a s***storm right now.
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
#3richboy900Posted 4/6/2013 8:11:16 AM
I'd imagine its for updates so you don't have to do them while you're playing. The ps3 would benifit greatly from it, the updates on that thing are horrendous. I don't see the huge argument against it though, its certainly not a great idea, but it isn't bad either.
#4reincarnator07Posted 4/6/2013 9:58:04 AM
richboy900 posted...
I'd imagine its for updates so you don't have to do them while you're playing. The ps3 would benifit greatly from it, the updates on that thing are horrendous. I don't see the huge argument against it though, its certainly not a great idea, but it isn't bad either.

It locks you out from playing without an internet connection. How can you not see the problems with this? What if your internet is knocked out by bad weather? What if you've just moved and your internet isn't set up yet? What if Anonymous decides to attack XBL in a few years? What if COD releases and crashes the servers from the massive amount of players?

There are many things that can go wrong with this and no advantages to the end user.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#5KillaBeAtPosted 4/6/2013 10:19:48 AM
Everybody needs to just relax. For one, nothing has been confirmed yet. All we have is conjecture and rumors, but its impossible to sort rumors from credible sources from those that are just meant to generate hits on your website.

I don't think Microsoft is going to be dumb enough to require a constant, active, internet connection just to play games. Having already SEEN how the internet reacted to the rumors, any idiot on the internet should be able to realize that the possible benefits don't outweigh the potentially devastating risks associated with making a constant, active internet connection a requirement just to play games.

Making a piece of software online only on the PC is one thing. How many household computers that people are going to be using to play games have no internet connection? You are only alienating a comparatively small portion of your consumer base. Lets be INCREDIBLY generous and say that 10% of gaming PCs aren't connected to the internet at a given time. The real number is likely closer to 1% than it is to 10%, but for arguments sake, we'll say 10. That might mean that, instead of getting 3 million in sales, you've alienated 300 thousand of your customers and you end up with 2.7 million instead. That's a pretty huge decrease, but not going to sink you.

The numbers are much, much more complicated for Xbox's and XBL, but there are only 50 million XBL accounts for 75 million sold consoles. That doesn't include multiple accounts on one console (my own has 3 gold and 2 silver accounts) and doesn't account for people that have purchased more than one xbox (though it does factor in consoles replaced under warranty so don't bother bringing up the RROD).

If we're REALLY generous, we can say that 1 in 5 consoles isn't connected to the internet at a given time. 1 in 5 doesn't sound so bad, until you realize that it's not 20% sales of a game that you talking about. It's 20% sales of EVERY game, EVERY accessory, EVERY console. It's 20% fewer people that you can advertise to, it's 20% fewer potential XBL Gold subscribers, and for what? So that you can stop a bit of piracy? There are far easier and far less damaging ways to combat piracy.

This isn't a decision you could just make willy-nilly. Even basic business sense would tell you that the risks associated with Online-only gaming outside of PCs are absolutely STAGGERING so, until someone can provide me with a good reason why they would bother doing it in the first place, I'm still going to chalk this up as a "wait and see" type deal.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.