This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Having problems streaming videos to my Xbox from the PC.

#11PlatypusPincher(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 8:54:00 AM
Awesome. Well, I got PS3 Media Server running so I will report back in a bit to see if anything changes.Thanks!
---
XBL - PlatypusPincher
http://www.trueachievements.com/PlatypusPincher.htm
#12CapwnDPosted 4/6/2013 9:01:30 AM(edited)
PMS is a lighter server than TVersity. And it's easier to quit, TVersity used to get all up in there, and still transcode even after you quit (if you were transcoding).

I can't get out of the habit of calling it PMS. I'm not making fun of it, I love it. That's what it used to be called.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#13PlatypusPincher(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 9:25:00 AM(edited)
Haha. It seems to be working really well. Haven't noticed any lag so far.
---
XBL - PlatypusPincher
#14CapwnDPosted 4/6/2013 9:34:55 AM
Awesome.

It will also play just about any video format you want. But if it's not supported, it transcodes on your PC. With a newer PC that's not a problem. But if you're still rocking the Vista then I imagine your PC is a bit older, so you may have some issues with that.

Regardless, for regular video that doesn't need to be transcoded it should work better than what you were using.

if you don't know what transcoding is, it means that it changes the video to a format that is read by the 360 and it does it while you're watching. It doesn't change the file or save it or anything, but it takes more system resources. With your old method of video streaming, it would just say "unsupported video" or something.
---
#15CapwnDPosted 4/6/2013 9:35:32 AM
.mvk videos for example... those won't work too well at all with an older PC, and not really even too well with a newer PC.
---
#16PlatypusPincher(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 10:16:05 AM
So if the PC were up to date could this potentially stream HD video?
---
XBL - PlatypusPincher
#17TheBlueStigPosted 4/6/2013 10:20:18 AM
Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to the Task Manager, Processes tab, and turn off all the s*** you're not using. If you've got more than 20 processes running, you've got a crapload of ram being taken up for no reason.

Also get Glary Utilities and clean up the startup processes, eliminating things that shouldn't be running until you want them to run.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#18CapwnDPosted 4/6/2013 10:28:24 AM
So if the PC were up to date could this potentially stream HD video?

.mkv doesn't stream very well, but yes. If it's a long movie it may lose synch with the audio, and it may have trouble rewinding and pausing.

You're better off just hooking up a PC to the computer.

That said, the consoles upscale video pretty good. And if you use a PC to upscale, you need a descent graphics card. That's what's so strange... takes less strain on your GPU to play HD video than it does to upscale non-HD video, if you use something like the madVR filters.

And netflix and amazon sucks from computer.... no 5.1 audio.

So I guess it depends on what your'e trying to do. Easiest thing is to have a console and a computer hooked up to a TV and use one or the other, depending on exactly what you're doing.

.mkv? PC
netflix? Console
watching non-hd video? through console, unless you're upscaling with something like madVR
dvd? Same thing.. consoles unless you're using madVR
---
#19SnickleseedPosted 4/6/2013 10:33:52 AM
CaPwnD posted...
You're better off just hooking up a PC to the computer.

lol
---
i report trolls
#20CapwnDPosted 4/6/2013 10:39:01 AM
dammit.

I meant hook up the TV to the Television.
---