This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Always-On" - My Opinion (if any of you guys care)

#1TheRedRussianPosted 4/6/2013 9:34:02 AM
I see it as technologically progressive, setting a mandate in the realm of technology, encouraging technological growth further into the 21st century.

Internet will become faster and more available throughout the world more so within the next five years than within the past twenty years. Technology is advancing almost exponentially, at least according to many futurists, a well-known one being Ray Kurzweil. (http://www.kurzweilai.net/)

People who have reliable internet will buy an "always-on" console, most likely, and those who don't, won't. Simple.

Over a fairly short amount of time, this will change, and end up not only being overwhelmingly profitable to companies like Microsoft, but will encourage a more connected, integrated world.

In this day and age, not having internet is like living in isolation... of course, if you wish to lead a humble lifestyle, all power to you.
---
GT in sig
#2reincarnator07Posted 4/6/2013 9:48:27 AM
Because the only point of failure on the internet is the end user's connection. Did you not see what went down with Diablo 3 and Simcity? In addition, what if you can't get access to reliable internet? Not everyone lives in the middle of a city in a first world country.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#3SoaringDivePosted 4/6/2013 9:50:35 AM(edited)
TheRedRussian posted...
Internet will become faster and more available throughout the world more so within the next five years than within the past twenty years. Technology is advancing almost exponentially, at least according to many futurists, a well-known one being Ray Kurzweil. (http://www.kurzweilai.net/)

ITP: Canada doesn't exist.

Internet isn't going to get better outside of a couple places. ISP's will lose too much money, they'd rather hit you with small caps and throttle your downloads.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#4TheRedRussian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 10:53:08 AM
Point is, I see it as progressive. It may strike people as too soon, and perhaps this is the case, but a couple of years down the road it'll all be Gucciiiii...
---
GT in sig
#5ZeoDefenderPosted 4/6/2013 10:55:06 AM
Progressive, how? What advantages does a online requirement have over what we have today?
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier
#6TheRedRussian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 10:56:48 AM
ZeoDefender posted...
Progressive, how? What advantages does a online requirement have over what we have today?

Putting emphasis on online. From a sociological standpoint, it'll catch on... but not right away. Microsoft is taking a risk indeed, and it may or may not work out to their advantage.
---
GT in sig
#7ZeoDefenderPosted 4/6/2013 10:58:13 AM
That doesn't answer my question.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier
#8lostoutlawnbPosted 4/6/2013 10:59:19 AM
these topics are getting old
#9SirLemontPosted 4/6/2013 11:04:48 AM
TheRedRussian posted...
ZeoDefender posted...

Putting emphasis on online. From a sociological standpoint, it'll catch on... but not right away. Microsoft is taking a risk indeed, and it may or may not work out to their advantage.

This is anything but progression. Forcing a console to be always online means consumers will no longer be in control of the content they purchase. You don't get it. This has nothing to do with whether or not consoles are hooked up to the Internet, but whether or not Microsoft or publishers are hooked to the Internet. If their servers go down (and they eventually will) you can't play your games. Period.
#10ILikesCheesePosted 4/6/2013 11:24:36 AM(edited)
Think of it this way:

Say you have a coffee pot that requires an internet connection to work. Say you want to go camping. Sorry, no coffee for you by the campfire

You can apply this to ANYTHING to show how foolish a required internet connection is. Pocket knives, flashlights, lighters, etc. As long as single player and local multiplayer games exist, your video game console doesn't need to link to the web in order to work any more than a deck of cards does.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?