This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

XBox 720 Not Backwards Compatible?

#1RPG_ApostlePosted 4/9/2013 4:15:43 AM
"According to sources speaking to Bloomberg, Microsoft's still-unannounced Xbox 720 will use an AMD x86 processor. AMD is also providing chips for Sony's PlayStation 4.

A shift to the x86 format means Xbox 360 discs won't be supported and backwards compatibility would be possible only through software emulation.

The AMD processor in the Xbox 720 reportedly combines "Jaguar" central processing units with graphics chips, according to one of the sources, who wished not to be named because Microsoft's plans have not yet been made public.

A Microsoft representative told GameSpot, "We do not comment on rumors or speculation. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform, but we donít have anything further to share at this time."

Microsoft has not announced its future platform, though the company is reportedly preparing to do just that during an event on May 21. According to Windows blogger Paul Thurrott, the Xbox 720 will sell for $500 or $300 with a subscription."

m.gamespot.com/news/6406591.html

Sorry the link is in mobile format, I'm on a phone.
---
Then mark him if he violates the rules and shut up. Baseman, GameFAQs Moderator
#2Banana_ManaPosted 4/9/2013 4:17:47 AM
RPG_Apostle posted...

Apology not accepted.

:P

I didn't really ever think BC would be happening - it would have been nice, but I'm planning on keeping my 360 anyway - possibly buying a new one when the prices go down.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
http://bananaviewsandreviews.blogspot.co.uk/
#3RPG_Apostle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 4:26:20 AM
If the report is true, it doesn't give me much hope through software emulation, considering how they basically abandoned it when it started to take effort back during the Original XBox to 360 transition.
---
#4BrutalBrockenPosted 4/9/2013 4:26:29 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
RPG_Apostle posted...

Apology not accepted.

:P

I didn't really ever think BC would be happening - it would have been nice, but I'm planning on keeping my 360 anyway - possibly buying a new one when the prices go down.

BC never was a real priority to me, i keep every system i own
---
1 Brocken to rule them all!!
XBOX- Brutal Brocken PS3- BrutalBrocken
#5Banana_ManaPosted 4/9/2013 4:30:40 AM
RPG_Apostle posted...
If the report is true, it doesn't give me much hope through software emulation, considering how they basically abandoned it when it started to take effort back during the Original XBox to 360 transition.

Yeah...

That annoys me to this day - I have been itching to play KotOR again... Only have the Xbox version... I'm going to try it soon and hope it holds up.

My hope is that when the nextbox is released the current 360s/PS3s will see a massive price drop... if that is the case, then I'm buying both - it will keep me entertained for years!

The consoles are unlikely to break at this point - not for a while anyway, and if I have all the games... Even if they put servers offline; they will still work.

I'm not buying next gen until at least a year... Then reviews and such will be backed up with loads of actual user information... Whichever has the best catalog I'll buy - so BC isn't too much of a big deal...

Although if the consoles were BC I would possibly buy them earlier.
---
#6FFTHEWINNERPosted 4/9/2013 5:10:11 AM
Not you too RPG. Dont join THEM :'(.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#7Dragon NexusPosted 4/9/2013 5:26:44 AM
considering how they basically abandoned it when it started to take effort back during the Original XBox to 360 transition.

Software emulation is like running into an ever strengthening wind. Eventually you're going to get to the point where the force pushing against you is equal to the force you're applying. At such a point it's best to stop before you start going backwards.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#8RPG_Apostle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 5:28:14 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
Not you too RPG. Dont join THEM :'(.

I don't mind the rumor mongering.

But the trolls that follow that twist discussion of the rumors and reports into 'LMFAO M$ sucks and you're all tools LOLOLOL' is what I hate.

Discuss the rumors and reports. Awesome, great. But talk about the actual report instead of twisting the hell out of it just to be a dick.

And I hadn't seen this report discussed, so....
---
#9BrutalBrockenPosted 4/9/2013 5:34:38 AM
Well May 21 were supposed to hear the official announcement and BANANA there is supposed to be a new $99 Xbox 360 being released in November
---
1 Brocken to rule them all!!
XBOX- Brutal Brocken PS3- BrutalBrocken
#10Banana_ManaPosted 4/9/2013 5:38:00 AM
BrutalBrocken posted...
Well May 21 were supposed to hear the official announcement and BANANA there is supposed to be a new $99 Xbox 360 being released in November

Aye... I'm hoping that hits the UK as well.

£50 Xbox and £50 PS3 would suit me nicely... Especially the Xbox since I have a bunch of HDD anyways.
---