This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can a game be TOO long?

#81epicglorymanPosted 4/11/2013 9:45:38 AM
you can tell by the post the people have have no life at all

some games are to long people have life to live can't put 100 hours of my life in to one game
---
"I HAVE NO PEERS OR EQUALS ONLY ENEMIES AND FOLLOWERS" epicgloryshot xbl & psn
#82soldjangoPosted 4/11/2013 9:46:11 AM
Yeah, definitely. I've felt more than a few times like I would enjoy a game more if it didn't overstay its welcome as much. Off the top of my head, Ape Escape 2 and 3 are both maybe an hour or 2 too long.
---
360 Gamertag: Arcangel Legacy
It's a JRPG, meaning that the setting is in japan and stuff. -trodahawk
#83AkaimizuPosted 4/11/2013 9:55:57 AM(edited)
I would say an easy 'Yes' to this question if it is particularly talking about Length to get to the end of the game's narrative.

People don't have that much time to dedicate to every game, and thus if it is too long they'll never finish the narrative. Developers and even story-writers want to deliver a story with the intention of most interested people actually finishing it. Not the few.

On the other hand, it's fine if it is lengthy to do lots of other things with the game, and that includes games that are replayable because they offer different experiences on repeated playthroughs.

One of the classic displays of such ideals (before we even get into large AAA budget releases, or anything) are Rogue-likes. The premise offered went into a number of other games with a few similar replayable elements placed in them. From Disgaea, Zombi U to Elder Scrolls. All of these games can be completed once in a rather short fashion. Hours even. Or for those taking their time, a few days or maybe up to a week. This is depending on how little time they give each day.

On the other hand, they provide enough randomized aspects to make each playthrough a different experience in most parts, or provide a major *optional* activities that bring forth many more hours of playing to see everything than it takes just to beat the game. The idea is, allow a reasonable time period to get through the narrative but not overstay the welcome, but provide the user with optional content (which can enrich the game for those users) that could almost be limitless.

I think the never too long only applies to this optional enriching content, not for what is demanded of the user to finish the narrative.

There have been many a game in which at one point I was just wanting it to be finished, not because I was engaged in the narrative enough to carry me to the end before I knew it.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#84QuetzalmaPosted 4/11/2013 9:55:24 AM
glassghost0 posted...
The game itself, no, parts of the game, hell yes

this
#85Viridi16Posted 4/11/2013 10:00:59 AM
Absolutely not.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3539-9374-6768
#86Kevin_OSPosted 4/11/2013 10:03:39 AM
DarkJaydragon posted...
Darksiders 2.

I wouldn't mind if the game wasn't so boring.

I agree with this, Darksiders II is too long. Its a really fun game that I enjoyed but it went on too long. It was great for the first 8 hours then after that it just started to drag. The story wasn't interesting and the gameplay just got repetitive. It was still fun but 10 hours would have been enough for it, 12 at the most. Took me 18 and a half.
---
3570k / HD 7870 / GA-Z77X-D3H / 500R / 1TB HDD / 8GB DDR3 / TX 650
#87StupidMofozPosted 4/11/2013 10:03:47 AM
Viridi16 posted...
Absolutely not.

This, if part of the game feels like it's "dragging on" it isn't the game as a wholes fault, but just that part.

Also if the whole game feels like a drag, it just isn't a good game. Long games are good things, and if you get bored you can always come back and play it later and still experience new things.
#88JobClassPosted 4/11/2013 10:05:34 AM
I wish people would stop posting JRPG's. Fine, post a JRPG, but say what part (example someone pointed out Star Ocean 3 when you crash land and get involved in that planets politics--that WAS stupid. Or someone else said Legend of Zelda with the scattered parts) But don't post a JRPG and say "story was too long yada yada" Because it's supposed to be lengthly.

I personally like to get my monies worth so, Either very long games OR short games with multiple replay value.
---
"I bestow upon you the gift of life! Rejuvenate!"
#89frag_baitPosted 4/11/2013 10:07:06 AM
CyricsServant posted...
StarskiR posted...
shawnmck posted...
If it's boring...then yes.
If its fun & entertaining...then no.

Agree, adding that fun and boring are matters of taste.

Loved Skyrim, spent a 150 hours each on several playthroughs doing all the side quests, and never finished the main quest until Steam showed 800 hours. Love Tales of the Abyss, for the most part, even though it took a long time to finish. I Hated FF12, and by the time I completed all the monster hunts I was ready to cry, even though it was shorter time-wise than Abyss.

On the other hand, I have liked games that I thought were too long, Neverwinter Nights 2 and KotOR 2 come to mind. Come to think of it, I thought Halo 1 was too long. For a cooperative shooter, Gears 1 was just right for me.
#90Res5Posted 4/11/2013 10:07:21 AM
Length is not the issues. It's the dev's ability to design the game well enough that the length doesn't feel drawn out or too short. Two ten hour games can be too short and too long respectively because of the way it's designed.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com