This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Call of Duty ruined gaming.

#101Stefan1277Posted 4/14/2013 9:14:40 PM
It didn't mean to, but it became popular so it was abused and now it's being over abused so now it's killing gaming since it's all about graphics and shooters and realism that costs too much and sells too little if it's not a big name brand.

So it did, but indirectly and didn't mean to.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#102C810Posted 4/14/2013 9:27:33 PM
I don't think it's a definitive yes, but I do think it has had some negative effects on the industry. However, these problems could be attributed to any game that initially did this, not necessarily Call of Duty specific. I think that being an annual series caused other developers to copy the formula and either create an annual series or to produce sequels in which there is almost no difference from the previous installment. I also think that it is also responsible for the dramatic inflation of game budgets with the expensive set pieces now shoehorned into games at the cost of gameplay/story.

So I don't think Call of Duty ruined gaming, but I do think it introduced bad habits into the industry that has spread like a virus to other studios and publishers.
---
"Modern Biology is Chemistry, modern Chemistry is Physics, and modern Physics is...crazy." - Mark Peyron
#103SolKarellenPosted 4/14/2013 9:27:39 PM
Because Resident Evil needed to keep tank controls to justify slow, dim-witted enemies, and the plot needed to stay within the same zombie infested city for multiple installments, right?

Resident Evil needed to reestablish itself, or simply die in the current generation.
---
"There'd come a time when life'd pull us apart. S'not a reason to avoid people."