This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are people so against being labeled as being a casual or hardcore gamer?

#21Banana_ManaPosted 4/16/2013 7:55:40 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
HaloODSTD posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
http://24.media.tumblr.com/abf4ae4b472c9aaec3b2f2106424b608/tumblr_mkdp2iKro31rvudsso1_400.gif

That's her? whoaaaa what did they do to her?! :/

Surgery... And lots of it.

She's the plastic queen of SNSD.

still hawt tho. but for that .gif, too much eye makeup (-___- )

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mczktjfHqp1rd21joo2_250.gif

Better?
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
http://bananaviewsandreviews.blogspot.co.uk/
#22Tube_of_NoobPosted 4/16/2013 7:55:40 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
I don't care. Call me casual. Call me hardcore. I genuinely do not give a s***.

Just let me play my damn games.

Heres your answer /topic
---
Rick Grimes for President 2016
Currently Playing: Trials Evo, LotR War in the North, Blops 2
#23GGearXPosted 4/16/2013 8:06:56 AM
Kovalchuk_ posted...
Because most people act as if casual gamers are garbage and hardcore gamers are amazing.

Also, some hardcore gamers act as elitists.

I certainly think I am not "better" . I just have a passion for it and I care about how other people play the game.
In my world I would LOVE IT if both causal and hardcore loved the same game, because in the end I want both to experience the magic of video games.

But you can't do that when one side is saying "It's too hard" and the other saying "It's too easy". Ex. Dark souls.

Then there's the s****** Easy Normal hard.
"Oh hard mode!? They are a challenge! "
Yeah taking more bullets to kill an enemy IS NOT hard. Just annoying.
---
GT: KryDamoure
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#24QuetzocoetlPosted 4/16/2013 8:08:23 AM
Because we aren't using these terms as descriptions of fact, but rather as methods of demeaning and devaluing the opinions of one another.
While, yes, there are truly casual and hardcore gamers in the same way there are casual movie goers and movie buffs....arguably, anybody who is on a forum discussing video games already falls pretty close to the hardcore end of the scale, yet we still will occasionally label one another "casual" in order to make it seem like our opinion is of greater value than someone else's.

It seems like we like to group both truly casual gamers (people who might play a console 1-2 times a week or less, maybe with some mobile games here and there) and gamers who enjoy games/genres we don't like (people who primarily play modern FPS or sports games, people who prefer mainstream AAA titles) together. That's where the problem lies.

It's gotten to the point where the genre you enjoy determines whether you are casual or hardcore. Almost exclusively play RPGs and nothing else? Hardcore! Play a mixture of a multitude mobile and web based games along with the occasional multi-hour long romp through Skyrim and some matches in CoD? Casual!
---
Retribution Boards >retribution.muux.org< -Free Forum, Free Speech.
Gamertag: Quetzocoetl
#25secondhand1Posted 4/16/2013 9:13:51 AM
Because the only people who refer to themselves as, "hardcore" and feel that, "casuals" ruin everything are kids.

And kids are idiots.
---
I don't row.
#26GGearXPosted 4/16/2013 9:20:54 AM
Quetzocoetl posted...
Because we aren't using these terms as descriptions of fact, but rather as methods of demeaning and devaluing the opinions of one another.
While, yes, there are truly casual and hardcore gamers in the same way there are casual movie goers and movie buffs....arguably, anybody who is on a forum discussing video games already falls pretty close to the hardcore end of the scale, yet we still will occasionally label one another "casual" in order to make it seem like our opinion is of greater value than someone else's.

It seems like we like to group both truly casual gamers (people who might play a console 1-2 times a week or less, maybe with some mobile games here and there) and gamers who enjoy games/genres we don't like (people who primarily play modern FPS or sports games, people who prefer mainstream AAA titles) together. That's where the problem lies.

It's gotten to the point where the genre you enjoy determines whether you are casual or hardcore. Almost exclusively play RPGs and nothing else? Hardcore! Play a mixture of a multitude mobile and web based games along with the occasional multi-hour long romp through Skyrim and some matches in CoD? Casual!

This. This so much.

The definition of a hardcore gamer is so broad.
---
GT: KryDamoure
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#27Majoras_pantsPosted 4/16/2013 9:24:32 AM
I don't understand the point of the gamer label. People online say things like "You're not a real gamer" or "I'm a hardcore gamer" and I just kind of feel awkward about it.

They're games. It's a past time. Entertainment. Who cares?
#28MRL3G3NDPosted 4/16/2013 9:33:18 AM
because the meaning is misunderstood

people think that casual gamer means amateur
people think that hardcore means professional

there is no skill linked with that label

casual means that gaming is not a big part of the users life. You may have family, work other hobbies that come before you sitting down and playing a quick hour or two of something.

Hardcore means you come home and game...you have tons of time to game because that's your main thing

Gaming companies recognized these two TYPES of gamers, and started to design games for them.

Mostly only hardcore people have time to get into skyrim, and flesh it out. Skyrim is designed to spend many many hours to get the most out of it.

Casual gamers usually don't have time for that. Casual games are meant for the gamer to have enjoyable short term bouts of gaming.

This is why COD is so successful, it appeals to both demographics.

You can pick it up and play 5 matches in 20mins, BUT if you put in a couple of hours you get a pay off with rank and unlocks...

but it's mostly casual gamers that take offense lol, but if they knew what it really meant they could not argue
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#29HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2013 2:59:16 PM
Banana_Mana posted...
HaloODSTD posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
HaloODSTD posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
http://24.media.tumblr.com/abf4ae4b472c9aaec3b2f2106424b608/tumblr_mkdp2iKro31rvudsso1_400.gif

That's her? whoaaaa what did they do to her?! :/

Surgery... And lots of it.

She's the plastic queen of SNSD.

still hawt tho. but for that .gif, too much eye makeup (-___- )

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mczktjfHqp1rd21joo2_250.gif

Better?

orange hair looks weird on Asians....
Brunette is nice, blonde is a bit extreme, but orange is like an alien..
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
ASUS K55N I 1.9 GHz AMD A-Series Quad-Core A8 I 4 GB DDR3 I 500GB HDD I ATI HD 7640G
#30Arucard05Posted 4/16/2013 3:03:10 PM
I think the labels are fine. Some people are hardcore gamers, some people are casual gamers. The problem seems to stem from some people using the labels to demean others.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Now celebrating one year of irrelevance.