This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Possible to lose skill as a gamer the older you get?

#61Santo3485Posted 4/17/2013 7:31:27 AM
I'm 33 and shmups is my favourite genre. I'm actually much better at shmups now then I was 15 years or so ago.
---
In theory there is no differens between theory and practice - but in practice, there is.
#62richboy900Posted 4/17/2013 7:45:35 AM
Nah, its all about how much time you spend on the game imo.
#63BBBanks03Posted 4/17/2013 8:19:37 AM
I totally agree with the TC on this 100%, I think your gaming skill will definitely go away if you let it. I think most of that is due to not playing some of the more difficult games of your youth as you move on to today’s easier games, and you kind of lose your chops over time.

I was just thinking about this last night when I was playing Earthworm Jim for the first time since I was 12 or so. Back then, that wasn’t even a game I really even considered to be difficult at all, and had played that game so many times I could cruise right through it, get every secret, win every race and pick up a continue each time, and trounce that game without losing a life. Now… I’m on the verge of breaking my controller because I can’t even get past the third round of “Snot a Problem.” Damn if I don’t still love that game though.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#64c0rr0s10nPosted 4/17/2013 8:27:01 AM
superwesker posted...
I'm playing through castle of illusion on genesis again in preparation for the remake and am having a real tough time with it. Every time you die you start at the beginning . I don't remember it being that difficult. I also fired up duck tales and dear god is it challenging . I was so much better at these games as a kid . Have we as gamers been that spoiled with checkpoints and save systems over the years or are my skills as a gamer going down the tubes? What gives?

don't forget rescue rangers...ah disney. it was so great back then.
---
When asked about Black Ops 2, ii Tryhard has this to say: "If you have <2 KD, you are BAD at this game."
#65seankimberley42Posted 4/17/2013 12:07:46 PM
Gaming relies on hand-eye co-ordination and reflexes, two things that are scientifically proven to deteriorate with age. So yes, most people's skill will go down with age.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#66BuyersRemorse55Posted 4/17/2013 2:03:25 PM
I think its rust due to lack of using older controller and new games are easy. I used to be able to beat games like Cotntra on nes, Gradius etc, without dying.

That being said I do believe your game skills might diminsh a bit as you age, just like athletes get slower and stuff, so does hand eye coord.
#67KungFuConcertoPosted 4/17/2013 2:59:50 PM
nothingbeast posted...
jeneki posted...

Mike Tyson's Punchout is a perfect example of this; in many cases you need to respond instantly, and if the tv is a few frames behind, you already missed it before you even had a chance to see it.

Well this certainly has my attention.

Do you suppose that's happening to games that get re-released, like Punch Out did for the Wii VC?

Because that's where i'm getting stomped. I know Mr. Dream is identical to Mike because I still remember the patterns from when I was a kid. But now, I just can't stand toe-to-toe anymore.

I actually had this exact situation. I was playing Punchout via the Wii's Virtual Console, with the Wii being hooked up to a HDTV. My reaction times were slow and I was having trouble beating Soda Popinski, much less Mr. Dream. I watched Soda laugh at poor Little Mac and figured my reaction skills just weren't what they used to be in the 80s and 90s.

Yet, while I was playing, I couldn't help from feeling that the game's controls were a little laggy. I had heard of input lag on LCD tvs and I still had an NES and a copy of Mike Tyson's Punchout. Out of curiosity, I hooked it up to an old CRT tv.

The difference was immediately noticeable. The controls were much snappier and responsive. I was even able to beat Soda Popinski without taking a single hit.

So, in some cases, I can see how this effect could be mistaken for lost gaming skills due to age.
#68Gurn BlanstonPosted 4/17/2013 3:55:07 PM
I'm 50 (shut up) and feel as if I'm getting better with games even at my advanced age. Playing Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode right now (not that hard, but still a challenge).
#69superwesker(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 6:15:25 PM
Us old school gamers could always blame the controller
---
WELCOMETOTHENEXTLEVEL...............GT: crazydaygo
#70pakathecatPosted 4/17/2013 6:15:53 PM
I'm 33, and while I'm better now at some stuff, like puzzles, I know I'm not as good with some genres as when I was a kid. Platformers are a good example. Tried Wonder Boy in Monster Land again some time back. As a kid, it was pretty easy for me, only one part in the last level really gave me issues. Now, even with being able to save any time, had all sorts of trouble. I'm sure as I get way up there (65+, if I last that long), I'll see my reflexes go downhill quite a bit.