This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tales of Vesperia vs. Eternal Sonata vs. Resonance of Fate

#1dataDyneSoldierPosted 4/18/2013 4:49:58 PM
I've been wanting to play an RPG lately, and have narrowed my choices down to these three from the On Demand service. I'm looking for an RPG with both a good story and a not-too-complicated combat system.
---
Anaheim Ducks 2013: 27-10-6
If I finish all of my chores and you finish thine, then tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699
#2dragon504Posted 4/18/2013 4:51:58 PM
vesperia
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/dragon504
http://followmy.tv/u/dragon504/time_wasted http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/dragon_50469/myguns2-1.jpg
#3overlordlaharl0Posted 4/18/2013 4:54:08 PM
ROF Complicated battle system, But it's fun once you get the hang of it. Good story.

TOV Very good story, will keep you on it for around 100+ Hours. Battle system easy to learn.

Eternal sonata, I loved this game Battle system's a little weird at first but if you can grasp it you'll have so much fun. The story... OMG the story lol. So good. IMO.
---
Tu tu Ruu.
#4SunDevil77Posted 4/18/2013 5:47:23 PM
This topic might make Winternova explode ;) 3 of the things he hates most

a vote for Tales from me
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
#5Z2488Posted 4/18/2013 6:12:33 PM
I have not played RoF, but all I've ever heard about it was how unnecesarily complicated the battle system was. Tales of Vesperia is better than Eternal Sonata.
---
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - MSI Z68A-GD80 - Seasonic X 750W - GSkill 16GB - Crucial m4 128GB - NZXT Beta EVO
#6peter_888Posted 4/18/2013 6:26:16 PM
I haven't played Resonance of Fate. but between Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia. Probably Vesperia.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#7jorgestevensonPosted 4/18/2013 6:27:36 PM
I've beaten ES, tried to like ToV multiple times, and tried to like RoF multiple times.

Just a little friendly advice - none of these games are particularly good. If you absolutely have to play a JRPG, I would suggest Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon. Or get out your PS2 and catch up on some old games. Seriously - all of those games are pretty much flawed beyond redemption.
#8zyxomma100Posted 4/18/2013 6:32:23 PM(edited)
I haven't played RoF.

Tales has a great combat system. So many moves and ways to combo, and each character has a different battle technique. Characters are pretty much all likeable, too. Most of the story aspects are cliche, but the journey itself is remarkable.

I loved Eternal Sonata's story. Chopin is a great character, and he just has the PERFECT voice actor. Right up there with Stephen Merchant as Wheatley for best VA job this generation. Problem is, the battle system is a little lacking because they don't randomize the starting battle positions enough.* If the long cutscenes don't turn you off (they do drag sometimes), you'll enjoy ES.

Grading strictly on your criteria? Neither battle system is overly complicated, although ES's is much simpler (to a fault). Looking only at the story, I like ES more, but ToV outshines it in pretty much every other aspect.

*Note that if you have a PS3, the problem was fixed in that version. The PS3 version also has a few extra additions, most notably 2 extra playable characters. The vast majority consider the PS3 version to be the superior version. (I am not one of these people.)
#9trinityEDGEPosted 4/18/2013 6:34:21 PM
Vesperia - great battle system, big world, lots of content, typical JRPG characters and story (eg. No character development, incredibly convenient plot devices, nonsensical motives, etc.),

Eternal Sonata - never played

RoF - unique battle system (I loved it, but not for everyone), great atmosphere, incredibly interesting history and story ONLY IF you pay attention to everything, lovable characters, battle system may get stale because it's almost the same from start to end, story not presented well and becomes nonsensical if you don't try to understand everything

Note that saying you have to pay attention and stuff in RoF is not condescending remarks towards typical JRPG fans. You literally have to talk to most NPCs, connect many dots together yourself, maybe a second play through, and ultimately some Google searches before you understand everything. I know I don't.

Anyway, IMO RoF is superior because I loved both battle systems, but I couldn't finished Tales because of its terrible writing--I guess I've grown out of the typical JRPGs. (Last one I played was like, 4 years ago.
#10darkharePosted 4/18/2013 6:38:17 PM
Tales of Vesperia vs. Eternal Sonata vs. Resonance of Fate

all 3 are worth playing, and can be found cheap.

---
I grow drums, rattles, didgeridoos and drone flutes. if intrested send pm.