This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question about the Dark Souls series and the hate for an easy mode option

#1UrbanMessiahPosted 4/19/2013 12:49:09 PM
So when I was on Youtube, i decided to look at the Dark Souls 2 Alpha demo, which I was impressed greatly with...all good so far, right?

Then like a dummy, I looked at the comments section...smh.

Some people were making a comment that the game should have a easy mode option and this whipped Dark Souls more hardcore fans into a frenzy. Amidst the expected 'noob" and You suck, this game isn't for you" comments, the main reason was it would ruin the experience. OK, I could see that argument holding weight if they made the entire game easy with no option to play in a more challenging way, but the, as one poster put it, "true fans" would ***** about the idea of the option of an easy mode. You know, option...as in they could opt to use it or not, and not be forced to do so.

So, I want an answer to a simple question, and I figure the response won't be quite as bad as it would be on a Youtube response section. All i want to know is why hardcore fans of the Souls series are so vehemently opposed to other players having the option to play on an easier offline mode? Is it an ego thing in which somehow the feeling of beating the game on normal is lessened by knowing someone else could beat it on easy? Is it a willpower thing as in they're afraid they won't be able to resist playing on easy after so much punishment of normal? Or is it just flat out selfishness? I defy anyone to explain how someone else being able to chose to play the game on an easy mode ruins their experience on a unaffected normal mode...can anyone do this? A rational debate is welcome because I would love to hear the rationality for all the easy mode hate.
---
"Every morning I wake up, I put one foot on the ground & the other up the ass of a 12 year-old Indonesian girl."
#2PutHaggarInSFPosted 4/19/2013 12:52:28 PM
I don't really care as long as the game doesn't suffer for it.
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#3Killah PriestPosted 4/19/2013 12:56:23 PM
why does every game have to be altered and adjusted to cater to everyone?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4Gunvalkyrie2Posted 4/19/2013 12:57:34 PM
I have never played these games so as an unbiased observer I would say people that don't want an easy mode may have a point -- because if they are the type of person who would never buckle to an easy mode, there will be a lot of lazy people who will get to experience the game that maybe shouldn't have the privilege (IF the game is known for an outrageous difficulty heritage)...then again life isn't fair -- I won't buckle to getting a Wii U and Bayonetta 2 is going to be an exclusive to that console even though I've done nothing but promote the 360 version of part 1.

I can see both sides actually.
---
It's not just a rumor, I heard it on Gamefaqs.
#5SunDevil77Posted 4/19/2013 1:03:40 PM
UrbanMessiah posted...
why hardcore fans of the Souls series are so vehemently opposed to other players having the option to play on an easier offline mode?

If the game isn't hard, how can they claim they have a bigger wang?

/jokepostdonthurtmeplease
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
#6master_gamr1231Posted 4/19/2013 1:06:17 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
I have never played these games so as an unbiased observer I would say people that don't want an easy mode may have a point -- because if they are the type of person who would never buckle to an easy mode, there will be a lot of lazy people who will get to experience the game that maybe shouldn't have the privilege (IF the game is known for an outrageous difficulty heritage)...then again life isn't fair -- I won't buckle to getting a Wii U and Bayonetta 2 is going to be an exclusive to that console even though I've done nothing but promote the 360 version of part 1.

So... it is an "ego thing in which somehow the feeling of beating the game on normal is lessened by knowing someone else could beat it on easy?"
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#7Gunvalkyrie2Posted 4/19/2013 1:11:48 PM
master_gamr1231 posted...
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...

So... it is an "ego thing in which somehow the feeling of beating the game on normal is lessened by knowing someone else could beat it on easy?"

not so much ego - but the feeling that they are being cheated of witnessing something that now any halfwit can see.
---
It's not just a rumor, I heard it on Gamefaqs.
#8GuideToTheDarkPosted 4/19/2013 1:12:13 PM(edited)
There's nothing wrong with an easy mode option, besides perhaps ruining the experience for a few people who would cave too easily.

Unwarranted ego is stupid. Ego in general, really.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#9buddhamonsterPosted 4/19/2013 1:17:19 PM
The series is praised for its high difficulty level and for being unforgiven. The devs are proud to make the game this way.

There should be one difficulty and one difficulty only. If its too hard for you, tough. Not every game needs to be dumbed down and made easy for maximum accessibility.
---
Hey Trashcan Man! What did old lady Semple say when you burned her pension check?
Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!
#10oasisbeyondPosted 4/19/2013 1:18:04 PM
Why not just put a God mode then? If you can't enjoy Dark Souls then guess what... Easy won't make it any better.. It's not like it has these epics moments, movie clips, story... It's all about the gameplay and how to get better. It takes patience... Most people who don't like it, usually don't really get into games. They rather play a little game for 30 minutes and move on. This game takes time...