This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question about the Dark Souls series and the hate for an easy mode option

#151UrbanMessiah(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 12:24:20 AM
Oh and we don't need to be rid of any stigma "outsiders" may have placed on us. It's a nice feature of a gaming "community" that we don't actually need to care about how others perceive us. We don't need from soft to get super rich off the games, only to make enough profit to justify their expenses, which they have done so far and will likely do again, without resorting to playing hungry hungry hippos with cheese business practices.

Interesting...you don't feel the need to care what others think about you, but you obviously feel the need to care about how others would play the game with an easy mode. Personally, it gets a bit tiring to mention I enjoy the Souls series and then have people say something to the effect of "Oh, you're one of them".

Now, while fans don't necessarily need From Software to make crazy bank like other development teams, you can bet Namco Bandai wants more money. Also, you can bank on the fact that if the difficulty remains as is and continues to not bring in a bigger consumer base by scaring newcomers away, there will be changes in Souls 3, and it's going to go one of two ways. It's either going to be like Ninja Gaiden Black or Devil May Cry 3 with the inclusion of an easy mode while leaving in the usual difficulty for those that wanted it, or...it'll wind up becoming easier overall and anyone who actually enjoyed the challenge of the previous games will be SOL.
---
"Killing in the name of peace makes as much sense as ****ing in the name of chastity..."
#152BoswerLKPosted 4/21/2013 12:50:48 AM
hak145 posted...
no easy mode. Help increase the player's understanding of the game through a better tutorial. One world, one difficulty. That is how it should be played. Don't you get it? Why divide the community with difficulty modes? Why something so artificial? No difficulty modes makes so much sense with Dark Souls yet it makes zero sense with shooters. Its so consistent with what Dark Souls implements, its brilliant.

...yeah, you just told me you want souls to be the same as RE6, except it's "hold L1 and wait...and wait" instead of "hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks". I don't see how an easier difficulty mode is gonna be MORE artificial, considering the entirety of ds's challenge is artificial with its easy execution yet high damage, and high grind and repetition on death

chizzaroid posted...
In a game more so about learning from mistakes, I don't see how an easy mode would help. Once you know what you're doing it becomes super easy. The failed attempts at leaning things, made victory that much sweeter. It's part of the experience. Had there been an easy mode, there are more that a hundred times I probably would have switched to it. I'm glad it wasn't there, and I'm glad I stuck through it.

cuz a simple easy mode that lowers damage taken means you can learn from more than 2 mistakes per run before losing all your souls and having to trek through 10 minutes of fodder again to continue learning..............

as someone who has never been satisfied with merely winning and have always went the extra mile to find the most optimized counters and openings, trust me. you are not going to learn faster by dying in 2 hits than if you could survive your mistakes to try again immediately
---
My reviews: http://boswerlk.wordpress.com
"stupidity is a cure for itself"
#153hak145Posted 4/21/2013 3:17:15 AM
BoswerLK posted...
hak145 posted...
no easy mode. Help increase the player's understanding of the game through a better tutorial. One world, one difficulty. That is how it should be played. Don't you get it? Why divide the community with difficulty modes? Why something so artificial? No difficulty modes makes so much sense with Dark Souls yet it makes zero sense with shooters. Its so consistent with what Dark Souls implements, its brilliant.

...yeah, you just told me you want souls to be the same as RE6, except it's "hold L1 and wait...and wait" instead of "hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks". I don't see how an easier difficulty mode is gonna be MORE artificial, considering the entirety of ds's challenge is artificial with its easy execution yet high damage, and high grind and repetition on death.

Its not artificial. Artificial would simply be changing numbers around to make it harder/easier which is what easy mode would do. Artificial would be something like Call of Duty where the enemies continually spawn until you move forward. Artificial would be getting a power boost due to a perfect reload(Gears of War). That is not Dark Souls so your wrong. Every single time I died it was due to my mistake. That is natural difficulty which is what Dark Souls does. Object permanence is also a reason why Dark Souls is natural.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#154SparkItUpPosted 4/21/2013 3:37:43 AM(edited)
UrbanMessiah posted...
Personally, I don't have a problem with an easy mode option. If people want to play the game without the hassles then let them have an easy mode. I just think that achievements should be disabled on any easy mode for any game. It's a cheap way to get them.

Perfect compromise. Lets them ease into the game but then encourages them to play at the normal level to get the achievements. How can anyone be against something like this?

Exactly...It keeps the game open to everyone, but if you want to achieve something, you're going to have to earn it.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#155ThugETHPosted 4/21/2013 3:44:21 AM
The funny thing about the souls series is they are not even hard games. You level up and get better gear to progress further. Kinda like 99% of RPGs.
People who find it hard are either trying to rush through the game or just suck at gaming.
I got 1000/1000 in Dark Souls and I don't consider myself some masterful gamer.
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#156glyde69Posted 4/21/2013 6:06:35 AM
I can be impatient at times. You put an easy mode on DS2 and sooner or later I will toggle easy to beat a particularly brutal boss. Call me a maggot with an F at the beginning of the word instead of M if you want, but is MY main concern. Its gratifying to be able to beat a vicious boss without an easy way out. The online will suffer as well.

There's also less important repercussions that are equally if not more annoying. One of them will the flood of BEAT THIS GAME IN 7 HOURS and GAME IS TOO SHORT topics all over the place on launch day. Less important like I said, but why put a loyal fan base in that spot.
---
Gamer Tag: Wally Digital PSN name: Wally Digital Wii Code:2550-7930-3602-5785
#157ILikesCheesePosted 4/21/2013 6:23:22 AM
Simple Answer:

Life doesn't have an "easy mode." Why should Dark Souls 2?
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#158ILikesCheesePosted 4/21/2013 6:36:50 AM
NeVaRmoore posted...
The fact that people are against an OPTION is utterly pathetic

^
This perfectly sums up my opinion of the Anti-Abortion crowd.

But when it comes to a video game...? I think it is more a generational thing than a "Dark Souls Fan" thing. Back in the day (the 80s and 90s), games were HARD. There was no "easy mode." There were no FAQS to look up online if you got stuck. There was no handholding with Luigi running the course for you if you failed 8 times in a row on a Mega Man board.

Gamers in their late 30s and 40s like the idea of a game like Dark Souls. Younger gamers, who simply are not accustomed to such a challenge (and no, that is not a snide comment but IMO an accurate observation), perhaps not so much.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#159Mister_LintonPosted 4/21/2013 6:40:07 AM
Options ARE optional but elitists THINK they are elite.
#160rockyoumonkeysPosted 4/21/2013 6:43:33 AM
hak145 posted...

"Why divide the community?" You want to exclude a whole bunch of people from it instead. This is you basically saying you want to keep your community pure and don't want "inferior" people joining.

There's an easy Country Club metaphor in there, but I'll let you work it out.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton