This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question about the Dark Souls series and the hate for an easy mode option

#71Fou LuPosted 4/19/2013 5:29:25 PM
They think the game is hard and use it like a status symbol. You see that in World of Warcraft as well. Both games are pretty easy, no worse than any other video game out there.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#72CaliberChampPosted 4/19/2013 5:29:59 PM
This game already has an easy mode because later on you unlock NG+. More of a difficulty spike. And there is no one that can ever counter this argument because its true. Why couldn't dark souls start off at maximum difficulty? Dark soul fans make no sense.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman Arkham city
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z, EVE Online.
#73BoswerLKPosted 4/19/2013 5:38:40 PM
...thanks for reinforcing my theory guys

funniest part is I'm probably better at ds than most of you hardcore elitists anyways. you guys are way too spoiled by modern kiddy console casual games if that game is what you call difficult. there are much deeper and harder hardcore games out than the souls games even in this generation (monster hunter, dmc3, bayonetta, to name a few). the game was marketed as difficult, but that was never what made it enjoyable...cuz quite frankly, we all know 99% of you just abused the **** out of bb glitch, dragonhead glitch, and/or op gear to trivialize the game further anyways

all you needed for godmode in ds was any 100% phys shield and to run around everywhere with L1 held down. that was it. if you're gonna be elitist over how hardcore you are....should've picked a game that was actually hardcore to do it with, and not to cheated to death through it

ds's high points were the atmosphere and exploration. a choice (you know, like when you pansies chose to glitch/get drake sword/sks/lightning zwei/DWGR/havel ring/etc) to trivialize the already simplistic, time consuming, and uneventful combat would not take away from that. if you wanna be "pro elite no scope" and brag about your ability to hold L1 until the ai does something stupid...then choose to not pick easy mode. you know, like those of us who actually did look for a challenge in ds chose to do armorless/blockless/crap weapon playthroughs
---
My reviews: http://boswerlk.wordpress.com
"stupidity is a cure for itself"
#74Dante729Posted 4/19/2013 5:46:20 PM
Rob_the_Ninja posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS8pPpSzMPo

This is probably one of the more eloquent ways I've seen this put, and I agree wholeheartedly with it. I'll just quote some things from the video...

"...the idea that all games have to meet some standardized level of accessibility for all players is an illogical one that runs the risk of compromising creativity and turning an intended experience into something it's not."
---
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
#75ZDT_LeaderPosted 4/19/2013 5:49:01 PM
So I can get my butt kicked by someone who farmed on easy and super power leveled.. or obtained a weapon that I worked so hard on easy.

It really defeats this games purpose..

Its supposed to be insanely die.. its supposed to piss you off.
---
Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007
#76hyjinx17Posted 4/19/2013 6:16:10 PM
Put an easy mode in a game that's entire design philosophy was to make it difficult?

You don't see the problem with this?

Why not add the ability to skip any battle in Turn Based and Real Time Strategy games because I don't want to think that hard.

This is coming from someone who played 3 hours of Demon Souls, got frustrated and quit btw.
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only argument I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#77Perfect LightPosted 4/19/2013 6:16:54 PM
Because Dark Souls fans can't accept the fact that not everyone is masochistic and maybe enjoys the game's mechanics but not doing the same parts over and over again. Besides, if there was an easy mode how could they validate themselves as being somehow "better" than others?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#78BoswerLKPosted 4/19/2013 6:18:34 PM
ZDT_Leader posted...
So I can get my butt kicked by someone who farmed on easy and super power leveled.. or obtained a weapon that I worked so hard on easy.

It really defeats this games purpose..

Its supposed to be insanely die.. its supposed to piss you off.

....so...by your logic, easy mode would be the best choice. now you can lose to scrubs with op gear they got on easy and be pissed off all day long! it'll be just like getting smurfed in the burg. loads of fun for you I bet
---
My reviews: http://boswerlk.wordpress.com
"stupidity is a cure for itself"
#79superbowl54Posted 4/19/2013 6:32:41 PM(edited)
BoswerLK posted...
...thanks for reinforcing my theory guys

funniest part is I'm probably better at ds than most of you hardcore elitists anyways. you guys are way too spoiled by modern kiddy console casual games if that game is what you call difficult. there are much deeper and harder hardcore games out than the souls games even in this generation (monster hunter, dmc3, bayonetta, to name a few). the game was marketed as difficult, but that was never what made it enjoyable...cuz quite frankly, we all know 99% of you just abused the **** out of bb glitch, dragonhead glitch, and/or op gear to trivialize the game further anyways

all you needed for godmode in ds was any 100% phys shield and to run around everywhere with L1 held down. that was it. if you're gonna be elitist over how hardcore you are....should've picked a game that was actually hardcore to do it with, and not to cheated to death through it

ds's high points were the atmosphere and exploration. a choice (you know, like when you pansies chose to glitch/get drake sword/sks/lightning zwei/DWGR/havel ring/etc) to trivialize the already simplistic, time consuming, and uneventful combat would not take away from that. if you wanna be "pro elite no scope" and brag about your ability to hold L1 until the ai does something stupid...then choose to not pick easy mode. you know, like those of us who actually did look for a challenge in ds chose to do armorless/blockless/crap weapon playthroughs

you keep telling yourself that LMAO.

DMC3 was not this gen. And LOL if you think Bayonetta was "harder" than DS.

you know what happens when you assume, right? assuming 99% of the players used BB glitch, Dragonhead, etc is outright hilarious.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Injustice, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#80hak145Posted 4/19/2013 6:31:23 PM
LMAO ok this video explains the reason much better then I ever could.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/2xxlfy/dark-souls-ii-don-t-tread-on-my-souls

Winner: hak145 for shutting down the argument of the other side.

/thread
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls