This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I upgrade my Wireless Router?

#1JirynPosted 4/19/2013 11:59:51 AM
Ok, just moved into a new house and wondering if I should upgrade/update my Wireless Router. Currently I am using a Linksys E1500

We were thinking of upgrading to an ASUS RT-AC66U, but do we really need to?

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s
1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas
1 DS
1 Roku Box
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2thecougPosted 4/19/2013 12:10:48 PM
Go to http://www.speedtest.net and post your result.
---
The Coug abides.
XBL Gamertag: TheC0ug
#3Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 12:29:00 PM(edited)
thecoug posted...
Go to http://www.speedtest.net and post your result.

We're still moving in, setting up... upgrading to 30Mbps on Tues.

---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#4foodeater4Posted 4/19/2013 1:30:05 PM(edited)
I dont know all the techinal jargon pefectly, but older wireless routers only run at 2.4 ghz, the new ones, assuming your devices can use it, can go to 5ghz. This makes playing games online through a wirless connection, nearly as good as being wired.

So whatever you do, get a router that can support the slower 2.4 ghz, and the 5ghz for your things like xbox assuming you use it wireless and have a slim, or a new wi fi antenna for it.

It looks like your current router only supports up to 2.4 ghz and 300mps max, so I would definatly upgrade to the Simultaneous Dual-band 2.4 + 5 GHz and 600mps +

i speak from experiance as I have been using wirless routers for a many years now.

Also I used to have my xbox wireless old school, then wired which was a huge improvment. Then when I moved into a house I had to go wireless again, and wtih the new router at 5.ghz, its practically good as being wired. I can harly tell the difference it at all.

I also have multiple devices hooked up to the router. 2 pc's, but they are wired since the router is the room with the pc's. Xbox is downstairs wireless, also have ihpone, ipad in the wi fi when there at home, plus 2 kindles and some other misc crap from time to time.
#5CammyApplePosted 4/19/2013 1:58:47 PM
We currently use the Linksys E4200 and it's quite good. The price I paid for it was poor though.

Multiple consoles all open NAT "out of the box". The only gripe I have with it was when I went to check the firmware it locked me out of the router until I reset it.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#6CapwnDPosted 4/19/2013 2:38:39 PM
Ok, just moved into a new house and wondering if I should upgrade/update my Wireless Router. Currently I am using a Linksys E1500

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s

1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas

1 DS
1 Roku Box

Make sure you get a router that can handle two of those devices on at the same time.

I'm using an Asus RT-N16 which is 2.4GHz, but I don't use the WIFI on it anyways. I have it flashed with DDWRT, and it works flawlessly with multiple xboxes online at the same time.
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
#7CammyApplePosted 4/19/2013 2:45:43 PM
CapwnD posted...

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s

1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas

1 DS
1 Roku Box

Make sure you get a router that can handle two of those devices on at the same time.

I'm using an Asus RT-N16 which is 2.4GHz, but I don't use the WIFI on it anyways. I have it flashed with DDWRT, and it works flawlessly with multiple xboxes online at the same time.

The E4200 worked fine with 2 360s and 1 PS3 (all open NAT) at once. I'm sure newer models do even better.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#8Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 5:58:24 PM
CammyApple posted...
CapwnD posted...

We are currently running
4 PCs
1 Laptop
1 Tablet
1 Ipod
2 PS3s
2 360s

1 Wii
1 Wii U
2 3DS
2 Vitas

1 DS
1 Roku Box

The E4200 worked fine with 2 360s and 1 PS3 (all open NAT) at once. I'm sure newer models do even better.

Yea the E1500 only open NATS 1 system at a time.
---