This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bayonetta early-game enthusiasm issues - suggestions?

#1houghmanadyPosted 4/19/2013 12:45:05 PM
I'm not sure what "suggestions" you'd make, but "pep talk?" sounded too ridiculous.

I finally got to Bayonetta in my backlog. This isn't fair critique of the game, but it had the relative misfortune of following both Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite, which were both astonishingly good. So Bayonetta had its work cut out for it.

And so far it's leaving me a bit cold. The cutscenes are interminable and I'm having trouble making out the action once I'm allowed to control it. There were times during the prologue when the camera jolted to one side and I realized that was because Bayonetta had moved over there, and I'd been watching the wrong character on screen for the last several seconds.

I guess my question, to put something concrete to it, would be whether the game calms down a bit. Fewer lengthy non-interactive sequences and a clear consistent sense of where I am in the battle fray would go a long way toward improving my early-game experience (and thus the likelihood that I'll experience the late-game rather than just bailing).

Not sure how to articulate the latter, but to say that I didn't have this focus problem with, for instance, the Devil May Cry reboot from earlier this year. And those are relatively similar games, with regard to battle.

Have I made any sense at all? Can anyone address this without making me confront the fact that I just suck?
#2ukokira1Posted 4/19/2013 12:52:15 PM
1. You probably have poor eyesight if you cant notice the lady in back
2. On loading screens press select for practice mode. Learn the combat there.
3. You can skip cutscenes in pause menu or insta skipping them by pressing LT +RT + back
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#3velvet_hammerPosted 4/19/2013 12:57:20 PM(edited)
Bayonetta > Bio:I=FC3

and out side of early prologue the camera is ACE especially for how crazy and good the gameplay is
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#4HulkxxSMASHPosted 4/19/2013 12:59:19 PM
My main problem with Bayonetta is quite similar... I find it difficult to actually stay interested for any length of time. I've never finished it but been playing it for a couple of years. I think that may be my problem. The combat is far deeper than it first might seem.an I leave it so long between plays I have to essentially relearn it all from scratch.

That being said... A couple of weeks or so ago I burned through 5 or 6 levels and I actually enjoyed it a lot. The nuances in the game were slowly creeping in and I was in the groove. Unfortunately around about that time my 360 started having disc reading problems so I fell out of the groove.

It's frustrating because I can see it's a fantastically polished game... I can just never get into it for any prolonged period of time.
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold
#5Xx_King_Beef_xXPosted 4/19/2013 12:59:35 PM
I would suggest just skipping the cut-scenes. The story is garbage and the acting is horrible anyways. Bypassing those makes the game much more enjoyable.
---
I have to return some videotapes.
#6glassghost0Posted 4/19/2013 1:00:39 PM(edited)
I just started playing this game as well. I'm on Chapter 6 I think and it gets much easier to follow her but the cut scenes don't really die down that much, they're shorter than the first couple.

If you mean you had trouble following her in the very beginning when you're falling, I could see that, if you're having trouble following her in the graveyard I'm not sure why and you might not be able to.

So far it's really good imo, I'm not that great at it though, I think the last game I played like this was Ninja Gaiden 2. I can get Platinum on some verses but I've gotten Stone for the last 3 chapters I think.
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428
#7HulkxxSMASHPosted 4/19/2013 1:06:17 PM
glassghost0 posted...
I just started playing this game as well. I'm on Chapter 6 I think and it gets much easier to follow her but the cut scenes don't really die down that much, they're shorter than the first couple.

If you mean you had trouble following her in the very beginning when you're falling, I could see that, if you're having trouble following her in the graveyard I'm not sure why and you might not be able to.

So far it's really good imo, I'm not that great at it though, I think the last game I played like this was Ninja Gaiden 2. I can get Platinum on some verses but I've gotten Stone for the last 3 chapters I think.

Haha I've been playing for about 18mths an I finally just made it to chapter 8 or 9. Whichever is the one after the boss fight after that great motorway sequence.
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold
#8houghmanady(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 1:06:24 PM
I think I was looking at the random second lady who is sorta fighting with you in the prologue, occasionally.
#9ukokira1Posted 4/19/2013 1:10:30 PM(edited)
houghmanady posted...
I think I was looking at the random second lady who is sorta fighting with you in the prologue, occasionally.

oh. That isnt the prolouge. its before the prolouge. The game gets a lot better once you get to the actual prolouge. unless you also mean the part where it teaches you torture attacks. You dont get any allys to distract you after that part.
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#10houghmanady(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 1:09:49 PM
By "fighting with" me, I mean "fighting alongside" me.

Unless I'm mis-remembering it, she hung around for a bit of the prologue, too. (I saved and quit at the screen leading into Chapter 1, so maybe I'm just a moron who was somehow watching an enemy instead of myself.