This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody actually know anyone whos "addicted' to video games?

#1EcotronPosted 4/20/2013 9:51:07 AM
Unfortunately I do. One of my buddies would rather play video games with his online friends than hang out IRL with us. He only leaves his house like once or twice a month when we do hang out. Kind of sad, kind of funny, kind of frustrating.
#2JRS511Posted 4/20/2013 9:52:06 AM
Sounds like me lol.
---
"Life owes you nothing. You owe yourself everything."
-Corey Taylor
#3SunDevil77Posted 4/20/2013 9:55:18 AM(edited)
Yup, in my WoW days one of the guys I played with had a dozen lvl. 80's (when that was the max)

Any time of the day id log on, he would be playing. To be fair, I play a lot of games right now, but it's because at the moment I'm really sick so there isn't much else to do

---
#4casedawgzPosted 4/20/2013 9:56:04 AM
My freshman year roommate literally devoted his life to world of warcraft. He would sit in the dorm and play, while going through like five dr peppers a day. We would ask if he wanted to come grab a bite to eat or go to a movie or parties or whatever and the answer was always "no, i have to raid."

And when he was done for the night (usually 3 a.m.), he would just crawl into bed without brushing his teeth or anything. He also would pitch fits about how important his raids were if I tried to get him to leave to bring my girlfriend over. My sex life improved dramatically when I stopped living with him.
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#5Ecotron(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 10:01:09 AM(edited)
Actually I just remembered my dark side of gaming :(. In my younger days I spent hundreds of dollars on some stupid games and would play for 6-12 hours a day (12 in summer)... I still played sports quite a bit but wow. Glad that's all behind me.

Still not as bad as leaving the house twice a month though...

^lmao thats hilarious. "no i have to raid"
#6TheBlueStigPosted 4/20/2013 10:07:56 AM
Certain kinds of games are far more susceptible to addiction than others. Skinner Box programming techniques in most RPG's, in facebook farm sims, and now in some FPS games are designed to get gamers mentally and physically addicted and keep them there for as long as possible.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3085/behavioral_game_design.php?page=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FSsztwbRW0
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#7LotrMorgothPosted 4/20/2013 10:27:02 AM
ITT extroverts get mad when introverts don't want to hang out with them.
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4
#8casedawgzPosted 4/20/2013 10:31:52 AM
LotrMorgoth posted...
ITT extroverts get mad when introverts don't want to hang out with them.

There's a difference between being introverted and playing nineteen hours of WoW, drinking half a dozen Dr Peppers, and then crawling into bed and languishing in your own filth as your teeth rot out of your head.
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#9BuckVanHammerPosted 4/20/2013 10:43:15 AM
i hate most of my irl friends so i kind of prefer to stay at home and play games...
---
hat'er n. a person that calls you out on your douchebaggery
#10SunDevil77Posted 4/20/2013 10:48:35 AM
BuckVanHammer posted...
i hate most of my irl friends

How are they friends, then O_o
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.