This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it ok to stream and/or video tape while you play on Xbox Live, competitively?

#1IIICE_COLDPosted 4/21/2013 12:23:57 PM
I heard about some top fighting game competitors that do this and I'm just wondering...
---
XBL GT: IIICE KOLD (Formerly known as IIICE COLD)
#2JManGTPosted 4/21/2013 12:34:53 PM
You gonna record yourself playing over run you scrub?
---
Sebastien Loeb
Undefeated World Champion 2004-2012 (WRC Retired)
#3dannyaqPosted 4/21/2013 12:51:33 PM
technically probably not. you are reproducing copyrighted material. Now whether or not the copyright owners will care is another story.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#4Super CreaturesPosted 4/21/2013 2:16:21 PM
dannyaq posted...
technically probably not. you are reproducing copyrighted material.

It may or may not fall under fair use though.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#5dannyaqPosted 4/21/2013 3:19:35 PM
It might be considered fair use, but in all likelyhood it's not. It is presumably being broadcast on a commercial site for profit, it is presumably not just a short clip, it isn't for informative or educational purposes.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#6Killah PriestPosted 4/21/2013 3:21:08 PM
Do privacy issues apply when recording audio of someone without their permission in this situation?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#7dannyaqPosted 4/21/2013 3:47:59 PM
legally no, but the polite thing to do would be to inform everybody and ask consent. People have a reasonable expectation that they aren't being recorded. Actually, wiretap laws vary state to state. I'm sure winternova could tell you about it better, but in most cases at worst only one person (which could be you) needs to be informed the conversation is being recorded. I do think some states require all parties to be informed though. That's why when you call a call center they often tell you this conversation may be recorded, at the start.
---
#8IIICE_COLD(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 10:33:33 AM
dannyaq posted...
legally no, but the polite thing to do would be to inform everybody and ask consent. People have a reasonable expectation that they aren't being recorded. Actually, wiretap laws vary state to state. I'm sure winternova could tell you about it better, but in most cases at worst only one person (which could be you) needs to be informed the conversation is being recorded. I do think some states require all parties to be informed though. That's why when you call a call center they often tell you this conversation may be recorded, at the start.

I could care less about recording peoples in game voices, and I would just mute all players. I'd be interested in recording and/or streaming exclusively for educational purposes in order to show the developers and lower tier players how to play and what flaws the game has.
---
#9IIICE_COLD(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 10:58:04 AM
I'd like to offer some analysis and commentary on some matches, also, which would be (100%) for educational purposes ONLY and nothing else.
---
#10Super CreaturesPosted 4/22/2013 11:01:03 AM
http://tinyurl.com/chv4q9c

If it was illegal, I would think each and every one of those videos would have been pulled by YouTube.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.