This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dragons Dogma > Skyrim, So whos buying Dark Arisen? 4/23

#51Killah PriestPosted 4/22/2013 10:27:55 AM
already on its way from amazon.com.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#52foodeater4Posted 4/22/2013 11:23:49 AM
Duwstai posted...
What does this game compare to?

RPGs Ive enjoyed recently

Demons/ Dark Souls
Witcher 2
Mass Effect series
Alpha Protocol

I played a few hours of Dragon Age Origins but didnt really like it that much, I stopped playing it. I think a big part of it was the gameplay, I am just not a fan of that old school style. But it also seemed very generic fantasy stuff.

Its closest to Dark Souls really. Very minimal story, there are npc's to talk to and stuff, but nothing near the amount of a mass effect or dragon age game. A few cutsces here and there. I also feel DD is very generic fantasy overall. The story is nothing original over all, and you mainly just do your quests.

The best about DD was the combat system. Its a 3rd person view, like dark souls, action combat, multiple classes you can that all have different moves. Also, the difficulty, BUT the difficulty only lasts so long cause once you some levels under your belt, your basically godlike until the end game stuff.

The game has a cool day/night cycle where a lot more powerful baddies are out at night, this again at first is really tense, since there no fast travel if you get stuck out at night early in the game you really can get pwned back.

Some bad things: Overall I think the world is kinda bland. Your just in a generic fantay forest type area the whole game. There are few interseting dungeons and areas you do go to though, but the main world, I thought was fairly bland.

Travel: This also a real PITA. There is a crap load of backtracking this game cause so many quests pop up at different times. It can get tedious walking back and forth the down same roads over and over with the exact same encounters everything single time. And I'm the kind of player who WONT fast travel in Fallout 3, NV, Skyrim alot. Its does sounds like this will be fixed a bit in the new version of the game with more port crystals and such.

The quest system is kind of annoyhing. Like most RPG's you have yuor main quest and side quests. But as you progres through the main quest, many side quests will lock out. The game also throws a ton of sidequest as you, a few are very well done feel like main quests, but a lot also are just tedious. the game moves very slowly if your trying to completele everything.

Overall, I did enjoy the game, its one of those flawed but good games. It makes me really look forward to a sequel.
#53PsychoDrama1Posted 4/22/2013 11:38:30 AM
Asking people about buying an rpg and then bashing skyrim for no reason reeks of jealousy and insecurity.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#54flame030191Posted 4/22/2013 11:40:49 AM
PsychoDrama1 posted...
Asking people about buying an rpg and then bashing skyrim for no reason reeks of jealousy and insecurity.

TC is the same guy who flamed everyone who didn't care for Metal Gear Rising or liked DMC. If you're surprised at all he'd bash a game for no reason, then you must be new or just not recognize him.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#55Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/22/2013 12:00:09 PM
foodeater4 posted...

Also, the difficulty, BUT the difficulty only lasts so long cause once you some levels under your belt, your basically godlike until the end game stuff.

This was my biggest gripe. It starts you off getting absolutely murdered by overleveled bandits in the early areas, but by level 30, everything in the game except the final optional superboss was basically a total joke. The difficulty scaling was really bad. New game+ didn't even bump it up so it felt even more trivial.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#56Killah PriestPosted 4/22/2013 12:02:54 PM
I kinda liked that about it

started off hard as hell but eventually you'd stomp everything in your path.

I like starting off scrub and ending up godlike

hate starting off scrub and ending up godlike but enemies are godlike as well so its like whats the point?
---
#57Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/22/2013 12:09:17 PM
Killah Priest posted...
I kinda liked that about it

hate starting off scrub and ending up godlike but enemies are godlike as well so its like whats the point?

Yeah, I can agree. I feel like the problem with DD was there was never really a curve where you went from underpowered, slightly underpowered, evenly matched, a bit stronger, godlike. it just felt like it was a binary switch where everything in the game was like level 15 and after that point the challenge was gone.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#58Killah PriestPosted 4/22/2013 12:13:33 PM
Yea there definitely could have been some in between areas, seemed to jump from hard to easy pretty fast.

I did struggle my first time through everfall tho, now I run through it with confidence.

UR can still kill me on occasion if I slack.
---
#59velvet_hammer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 12:23:12 PM
Dark Arisen has a harder difficulty coming with it.. It also has an HD texture pack for the whole game.. Plus many many improvements to the standard game.. The expansion is very long and challenging from every review I have read so far..

its going to be well worth $40

and Flametroll no one cares or believes what you think, your a terrible poster
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#60flame030191Posted 4/22/2013 12:25:31 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
Dark Arisen has a harder difficulty coming with it.. It also has an HD texture pack for the whole game.. Plus many many improvements to the standard game.. The expansion is very long and challenging from every review I have read so far..

its going to be well worth $40

and Flametroll no one cares or believes what you think, your a terrible poster

you're*

If you're going to troll people and games, at least use the right words.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.