This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live Subscriptions Continue To Rise...

#1SolnotPosted 4/22/2013 1:47:00 PM
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/xbox-live-subscriptions-continue-rise-183850770.html

With the successor to the Xbox 360 likely to hit stores before the end of the year, you'd think people might hold off on things like an Xbox Live subscription at this point in the console cycle. But apparently the online service is more popular than ever.

Microsoft reports Xbox Live subscriptions hit 46 million worldwide in the most recent fiscal quarter. That's up 18 percent from a year ago.

Put another way: Of the 77 million Xbox 360s the company has sold so far, nearly 60 percent have Live subscriptions tied to them. Perhaps even more impressive, however, is how many of those Microsoft has monetized.

Lisa Nelson, Microsoft’s director of investor relations, tells The Next Web that roughly half of those were income-generating "Gold" accounts (as opposed to the free "Silver" subscriptions).

Those subscribers are forking over more than their annual $60 subscription fee, too. Nelson said transactional revenue generated by Xbox Live is greater than subscription revenue -- which, if TNW's back of envelope math is right, means the average XBL subscriber is spending over $30 per year on downloadable content.

Overall, it's worth noting, the Xbox division had quarterly profits of $342 million, which isn't bad for a seven-year-old system.

The impressive XBL numbers might make investors and analysts happy, but it could be bad news for gamers who were hopeful that Microsoft would more closely mirror Sony in the next generation of systems by offering free multiplayer and interactive elements.

With the division generating what appears to be nearly $3 billion per year in revenue, that's unlikely. We should know a lot more about Microsoft's next-generation plans in late May and in June when E3 kicks off, however.
#2seankimberley42Posted 4/22/2013 1:50:08 PM
So to jump ahead a bit, only 30% of xbox 360 owners have live? I would have thought it was more.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#3NickDrakePosted 4/22/2013 2:14:24 PM
seankimberley42 posted...
So to jump ahead a bit, only 30% of xbox 360 owners have live? I would have thought it was more.

Not quite. 30% of the 77 million Xbox 360s sold have an active GOLD account attached to them. That's quite impressive considering the (admittedly unknown, but presumed sizeable) amount of older 360s which no longer function.
---
Take a look at the Lawman beating up the wrong guy
Oh, man! Wonder if he'll ever know...
#4Kazuya_80Posted 4/22/2013 2:19:07 PM
"With the successor to the Xbox 360 likely to hit stores before the end of the year, you'd think people might hold off on things like an Xbox Live subscription at this point in the console cycle"

XBL gold wont work with the next Xbox ? Iam sure it does
#5seankimberley42Posted 4/22/2013 4:32:49 PM
NickDrake posted...

Not quite. 30% of the 77 million Xbox 360s sold have an active GOLD account attached to them. That's quite impressive considering the (admittedly unknown, but presumed sizeable) amount of older 360s which no longer function.

Yeah I meant gold. Whoops.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#6Halo_ForeverPosted 4/22/2013 10:10:21 PM

Actually even less probably, remember that multiple users can have Gold profiles on a single console, e.g. a gaming dad with two gaming children might have 3 Gold profiles, but merely one Xbox. The counter example where one guy has several X360 is much more rare.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#7TrickyPonyPosted 4/23/2013 1:14:27 PM
Halo_Forever posted...

Actually even less probably, remember that multiple users can have Gold profiles on a single console, e.g. a gaming dad with two gaming children might have 3 Gold profiles, but merely one Xbox. The counter example where one guy has several X360 is much more rare.

Are you sure? I know several of my friends including myself that have multiple consoles and one gold account. Most of us bought a slim when they released and use them in our bedroom in addition to our main console in the TV room.
#8gldooriiPosted 4/23/2013 1:27:03 PM
There are so many freakin sales and deals for 1-Year Live subscriptions for less than cost its insane that people would actually pay the full price for it.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix