This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox SmartGlass now available on Amazon's Kindle Fire tablets

#1SolnotPosted 4/22/2013 1:05:27 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/22/xbox-smartglass-now-available-on-amazons-kindle-fire-tablets/

Amazon's just updated its Appstore today with a much welcome offering for avid gamers: Xbox SmartGlass.

Microsoft's app-based second screen solution has been available on iOS and Android since late last fall, but despite sharing a kernel with Google's OS, hadn't been made dispensable to Kindle Fire / Fire HD owners until now.

The app's been configured to scale natively on Amazon's refreshed tablet line, letting users navigate their Xbox 360 remotely, push and pull streaming content, as well as access achievements, messaging and Xbox Music.

So if it's the living room of the future you're after, you might want to hit up the source and make that free download your own.
#2SunDevil77Posted 4/22/2013 1:08:21 PM
A Solnot topic that I don't want to kick and piss on? Intriguing...
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
#3rttnPosted 4/22/2013 1:17:13 PM
App is still pretty much useless. I have it on my iPod and never use it other than for navigating Hulu.

The idea was neat, but it fell on its face. What I would like is to be able to do or earn things in game. While I'm not home and can't play my Xbox.
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerGuides 1.10
#4SS_MetalSonicPosted 4/22/2013 1:24:00 PM
cool I may DL it on to my Kindle
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Sleeping Dogs, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Tomb Raider
#5OverburdenedPosted 4/22/2013 1:28:54 PM
rttn posted...
App is still pretty much useless. I have it on my iPod and never use it other than for navigating Hulu.

The idea was neat, but it fell on its face. What I would like is to be able to do or earn things in game. While I'm not home and can't play my Xbox.

The app is pretty useless.

I like to use it to see what achievements i have/need, or what friends are online.
---
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
The Chronic what cles of Narnia._
#6RockguyKevPosted 4/22/2013 2:44:05 PM
I'll admit i was pretty excited about this. I put it on my phone immediately and have used it exactly never.

I bought a wireless keyboard with a trackpad and that does all of my non-controller navigating needs.
#7Last VampirePosted 4/22/2013 3:43:45 PM
A great feature for next gen that would make rock hard would be to use Smartglass to download DLC to some device from any public wi-fi and then be able to push it to your console when you're at home.

I play mostly handhelds now because I don't have reliable broadband internet access, so I can't buy DLC even though I'm perfectly willing to cough up the money. This isn't a problem with Vita/3DS though, as I can take them with me to work and download stuff on the Wi-Fi there.

Being able to use Smartglass to verify DRM and get rid of the "must be connected" requirement would make it immeasurably more useful imo. Even for people who have internet at home it could be used to pre-download stuff while you're out.

Unfortunately, it's too consumer friendly so it will never happen.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV