This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which to get first: Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition or Borderlands: GoTY

#11TheIastspartanPosted 4/23/2013 1:01:44 AM
I LOVE Borderlands 2. One of my favorite games this gen.

Can't stand BL1 though. Rushed through it once and never touched it again. The lack of variety really bugged me(way less enemy types compared to 2, and the devs appeared to be obsessed with deserts. ugh.)
#12ValedictorianXDPosted 4/23/2013 1:41:24 AM
Fallout New Vegas just has a better RPG feel to it than FO3. FO3, Oblivion, and Skyrim are the types of adventure games you can play where you'll get lost in a sandbox for days on end. Unfortunately, if you're looking for situations where your actions have consequences, where there's a mental challenge or where the story-telling is actually good, you'll be hard-pressed to find any of it in those games. On the other hand, Fallout New Vegas offers these things (and more) but it's a bit less friendly towards casual and it's not the kind of game where you can explore a new ruin every 3 minutes. Some people will flock to New Vegas because they played FO1 and 2 but I've seen just as many people who liked FO1 and 2 but preferred the gameplay in FO3.

Basically, it comes down to this:

-You want an Adventure game: Get Fallout 3 or any other Bethesda DEVELOPED title this gen.

-If you want pew pew loot fest: Get Borderlands.

-If you want a Role Playing Game: Get New Vegas.

New Vegas isn't for everybody. It requires a certain type of gamer...a gamer that reads all his options and likes to think about his choices. Basically, the game requires you to think for yourself and pave your own path. This gen hasn't been too accommodating towards those players on the console market...so if you're that type of gamer, you owe it to yourself to play this game. I don't promise that you'll enjoy the game but it will be a nice change of pace in an otherwise idiotic jumble of mindless games.
---
This is as stupid as the idea that mystical shaolin monks can beat UFC champions.
>"Can Cain Velasquez dodge a fireball? Shaolin Monks > UFC"
#13CatfishWigginsPosted 4/23/2013 2:26:01 AM
Both games are really good.

Fallout New Vegas is more Fallout 3 with better speech checks, and "a different" story. I like New Vegas's story more, but some people are fanatical about 3.

Borderlands is as "completely different" as a game in the FPS/RPG genre can be. It's almost exclusively about killing enemies with very little weight on dialogue. I played all through Borderlands on single player and it was plenty of fun with no co-op.
---
Aught ought not have naught for recompense.
#14Pharsti01Posted 4/23/2013 2:28:27 AM
Borderlands is just..... one of the most boring games ive ever tried to play through.

Ignore it, and go only for Fallout NV.
#15RetroFanGirlPosted 4/23/2013 5:06:20 AM
Get Fallout and then forget about Borderlands.
---
Hi.
#16Perfect LightPosted 4/23/2013 5:24:15 AM
Borderlands was the most boring game I have ever played. The gameplay was decent, but there was NO story and every mission was the same thing over and over. Tedium quickly set in.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#17DarkSymbiotePosted 4/23/2013 5:26:18 AM
Fallout. In fact, don't even bother with Borderlands.
---
You know, whenever a poster uses the terms "b**** and whine" or "piss and moan" or something similar, I simply ignore the entire post.
#18thecougPosted 4/23/2013 5:31:45 AM
FONV.

I think I may be one of the only people who enjoyed FO3 more than FONV, even though both are works of art.
---
The Coug abides.
XBL Gamertag: TheC0ug
#19ShAd0wF1amEPosted 4/23/2013 5:39:32 AM
If you have friends to play with, Borderlands. If not, Fallout. Both are great games, but the first Borderlands can be a chore to play if you're alone, so yeah.
---
XBL GT: ShAd0wF1AmE (that's a zero in ShAd0w, not an O)