This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Witcher 2 or Dark Souls?

#41DaLaggaPosted 4/23/2013 6:16:30 PM
shawnmck posted...
^ You obviously don't don't what you are talking about.

And the combat in Dark Souls >>>>>> the combat in Witcher 2.

Witcher 2 >>>>>>>> Dark Souls in Story & dialogue.

Dark Souls combat just isn't very deep. That's the problem. It's all about simple memorization and exploiting the terrible AI. There's no need to even really prepare before a battle or switch up your tactics because they key to success is pretty much the same in every fight - dodge the televised attacks and hit the enemy while they recover. TW2 combat on the other hand isn't so simple and does require a lot of thought and different tactics depending on the situation.
#42CyricsServantPosted 4/23/2013 6:20:17 PM
Arucard05 posted...
But Dark Souls will win this topic, no doubt

And those who did vote for The Witcher shall be exiled as heathens and noobs, no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDkGJmSfy0
#43UrbanMessiahPosted 4/23/2013 6:39:05 PM
shawnmck posted...
^ You obviously don't don't what you are talking about.

And the combat in Dark Souls >>>>>> the combat in Witcher 2.

Witcher 2 >>>>>>>> Dark Souls in Story & dialogue.

Dark Souls combat just isn't very deep. That's the problem. It's all about simple memorization and exploiting the terrible AI. There's no need to even really prepare before a battle or switch up your tactics because they key to success is pretty much the same in every fight - dodge the televised attacks and hit the enemy while they recover. TW2 combat on the other hand isn't so simple and does require a lot of thought and different tactics depending on the situation.

As much as I enjoyed Dark Souls, gotta agree with this sentiment. Good choice getting Witcher 2, TC, but eventually try out Dark Souls. Everyone should at least try it out once.
---
"Hey! I'm straight up gangsta, and I always keeps one in the chamber, in case you ponderin'..." (>.<)
#44Deathx113Posted 4/23/2013 7:07:04 PM
Idk man, Dark Souls has some of my all time favorite characters from gaming ever... but I'm biased sooo. xD
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#45Mako_eyesPosted 4/23/2013 7:40:28 PM
Witcher 2 is an improved version of anything BioWare has done so far (including the actual RPG's before ME2/3). Those games are otherwise fine, but plots are formulatic and simple, and characters are too stereotypically categorised into good and bad characters.

Witcher 2 doesn't have simple and formulatic plot, even though it lets you choose much more than BW games, and characters don't have all those stereotypical straits like BW characters do. Gameplay is also wise is at least on par with earlier BW games.

Witcher 2 is actually one of the few games that lets you to form your own opinion about te story and characters, whereas most games just tell you "this is a good choice", this is an evil choice", "this a good character", this is an evil characters", etc. It's up to you how you perceive the characters and the choices you make, mostly by avoiding typical good vs. evil situations throughout the game.

Get it if you want an improved version of older BioWare games.
#46DRzCalderonPosted 4/23/2013 8:06:20 PM
I could not stand the WITCHER 2's combat. It felt so bland without challenge. And the lack of detail with bodies disappearing and little to no blood kinda sucked.

Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma combat now that's a where you want to be.

Sadly I couldn't go any further with TW2 just because of it's terrible combat mechanics. NEVER made it to disc 2.
---
"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
#47Cobra9860Posted 4/24/2013 12:08:47 AM(edited)
The Dark Souls haters are out in full force today. They are even worse than the fanboys they cry about so much. I see the same handful of posters going into every Dark Souls topic to spit all over the game and insult the fanbase.

Anyway, I played and completely both games, you cant go wrong either way.

Personally, I thought Witcher 2 was very good, while Dark Souls was amazing and felt like a really unique experience... something Ive never played before. It has this way of completely addicting you and absorbing you into the world like no other game.

There are tons of secrets and a deep backstory and lore... but theres pretty much no traditional story. Its just pure gameplay and exploration, and its awesome.

Witcher 2 is great though. It feels like a Bioware RPG that was done right. Choices arent black and white. You may think youre doing the right thing, but it ends up with worse consequences. Its really just about how you perceive the world and the characters.

The gameplay.. ehh. People love to hate on Witchers gameplay. Every witcher topic I go into most people are bashing the game and especially its gameplay, but I didnt mind it. Its not great by any means, but its definitely not bad. Its just different. It does get incredibly easy though. After Act 1 it becomes a joke even when you up the difficutly. Game is borderline broken in that respect.

If youre looking for a good story with choices that matter go Witcher.

If youre looking for incredibly addicting gameplay and an amazing world/ atmosphere to get invested in, go Dark SOuls.
---
wat
#48WhyGeeGeePosted 4/24/2013 1:41:16 AM
hak145 posted...
Dark Souls combat and replayability are unrivaled as far as i am concerned. I haven't played the Witcher 2 yet but im going to jump out on a limb here and say:

For story and dialog: The Witcher 2

For combat and replayability: Dark Souls

What replayability in term of gameplay or story is there in DS besides collecting all weapons/magic ?

Seriously compared to The Witcher 2 where it has multiple endings and a story that changes dramaticly based on your decisions DS doesn't hold a candle unless you like grinding for no reason.

Also The Witcher 2 on the hardest difficulty was more challenging than DS for me.

TC I'm glad you picked The Witcher 2 you won't regret it.
#49Scared0o0RabbitPosted 4/24/2013 7:54:29 AM
The thing about the difficulty in Dark Souls. Every time I die in Dark Souls I can readily see that it was my own fault for doing something stupid.
---
Gaming for > 20 years
XBL: Cagey Rabbit
#50Marnex15Posted 4/24/2013 8:37:34 AM
Cobra9860 posted...
The Dark Souls haters are out in full force today. They are even worse than the fanboys they cry about so much. I see the same handful of posters going into every Dark Souls topic to spit all over the game and insult the fanbase.

It's pretty typical on this board. You can't have a Souls discussion without having that one guy that brings up something just to antagonize. It's funny how hypocritical and biased people act towards something they hate for the same reasons. It's like radical feminists.

WhyGeeGee posted...
What replayability in term of gameplay or story is there in DS besides collecting all weapons/magic ?

Making different PvE or most importantly PvP builds that all play completely different and have their own styles. Making challenge runs with the calamity ring or doing SL 1 runs. Playing the game and progressing in a different order. Role playing as an NPC character in the game such as Havel, Solaire, or Artorias that all use their own respective unique weapons, armors, and shields and require their own specific stats to use. Co-oping with a friend. There's plenty of re-playability. Use your imagination instead of achievements or multiple endings. That's how people added re-playability to old school games back then.

WhyGeeGee posted...
Also The Witcher 2 on the hardest difficulty was more challenging than DS for me.

It was harder for me too, even on normal, but you can't compare them. They have two completely different types of difficulties.
---
Official Lord of the Wiinet of LoZ: Skyward Sword | www.zeldawtwii.proboards.com