This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Say you had to rank each gen from your favorite to least favorite...

#1BBBanks03Posted 4/23/2013 6:44:08 PM
For me, my No.1 would have to be the 16-Bit Era. I'm hoping this would be the top choice for quite a few. I started playing games with the NES, and imo the 16-Bit gen pushed everything further and made everything I loved about the 8-Bit days even better, aside from maybe some of the excruciating challenge, for better or worse. I consider the SNES the greatest system of all time, and the Genesis wasn't far behind. There were just so many gorgeous, timeless games from this era it's just impossible to beat for me.

2. 8-Bit Era. I first discovered videogames, probably like many, with the NES. It was awesome times.

3. Current Gen. It's gone on too long, and there's a lot of things to dislike about this gen, like the lack of a lot of innovation towards the end of the cycle, but I think this gen has really started to push the boundaries of what videogames can be as art, and what they can really achieve. It leaves me pretty optimistic for the future.

4. Xbox/PS2/Gamecube Gen. Nothing bad about this gen at all, although it did feel like there was a little less about this gen that really stood out to me compared to others. I will say this gen took the 3d games introduced from the 32 Bit era and started to perfect them graphically; the games are much easier on the eyes.

5. 32-Bit Gen. This will probably be an unpopular choice amongst many considering how many all-time classics came around during this time, (Ocarina, MGS, Final Fantasy 7) but to me this is the gen I will probably return to the least. Many, many of the games of this period haven't aged well visually. I look at this gen as the "puberty stage" of gaming, there was a big change taking place, it was awkward in a lot of ways, and it was the beginning of the development we would see as 3d graphics and engines began to mature.

So what would your rankings be?
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#2SparkItUpPosted 4/23/2013 7:07:34 PM
1. Atari - it got it all started for me

2. SNES

3. Playstation

4. Playstation 2/XboX

5. Current

6. NES
---------------------

^ From best to worst for myself.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#3BBBanks03(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 8:16:54 PM
Yeah I only excluded Atari as it was just before my time, I'm sure that had to be big for many though.
---
#4BBBanks03(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 9:17:32 PM
Wow, gotta say I'm surprised here. I thought this topic would have some more action than this.
---
#5WinternovaPosted 4/23/2013 9:22:36 PM
All you have to do is put them in reverse order. I've been playing video games since Pong (yeah, I'm that old) and each generation is better than the last.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#6the_reaper849Posted 4/23/2013 10:04:53 PM
64 bit/PS one
xbox/ps2
current
8bit
16bit.

not saying current and the retro ones are bad, i just like 64 bit best.
---
Defiance Xbox360 MutantPlatoon2063 Guild Founder http://mp2063.enjin.com/home
#7BBBanks03(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 7:34:19 AM
the_reaper849 posted...
64 bit/PS one
xbox/ps2
current
8bit
16bit.

not saying current and the retro ones are bad, i just like 64 bit best.

16-Bit in last place??? Blasphemy!
---
#8nothingbeastPosted 4/24/2013 7:38:20 AM
Really has less to do with the gens and more to do with the individual age.

Most of the favorite gens will be from the gamer's teen years as that's the best time to game. No adult responsibilities, and all sorts of time to devote to it.

There's always exceptions to this rule, but generally your favorite gen will be the one that took up most of your time from 13-18.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#91ee7icusPosted 4/24/2013 7:48:13 AM
Current
PS2 era
Sega era
PS1 era

Ive never owned a Nintendo console. Except a Gamecube very late in system life for RE4. Dont really know why I didnt get a Nes or super nes. Was just a Sega and Playstation guy.
---
"You think just because a guy reads comics he can't start some ****?"
Its sad, Adventure Time is funnier than most sitcoms.
#10richboy900Posted 4/24/2013 7:58:45 AM
I've only started from 5th gen with the ps1 and I haven't owned all consoles from each gen, but for me...

1. 6th gen. I didn't have xbox live back then and I rather online gaming so that's saying something. I had the ps2 and xbox and all games felt like they were made to be as great as they could be from day 1. No dlc, lazy devs or any of that, and many of the games that are on current consoles don't match that of this era, halo combat evolved, nfs, soul calibur 2 etc. The xbox was my favourite console of that gen. The pc architecture and power of it was superb in its time and would make me get any multiplat for it by default, and I wish microsoft would go the power route approach with the 720.

2. 7th gen (current). Narrowly in 2nd place to 6th gen, but online gaming made me addicted, esp on xbox live. I have the 360 and ps3 and both are good consoles. Again I like the xbox more, but the graphical differences in games between 360 and ps3 are minor unlike the substantial graphics difference of the consoles before it. I would also be in favour of saying this gen is feeling/showing its age.

3. 5th gen. I only had the ps1 so I can't really comment on the other consoles. Played a few times on my friends n64. Had some great memories and games on it like tekken 3, gran turismo 2, crash team racing and more.